Positive ground to negative ground??

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Jefe De Jefes

Is it tough to do the switch on the 320? I did a quick search but found nothing.

IMH

I did it so it can't be that tough.:)  It's been years since I did it so I don't really remember the details but I basicaly used instructions that were designed to change an old Ford F100 from 6V to 12V.  I don't have the positive ground radio, and the only factory gauges I'm using are the speedo and the gas gauge.  All of the other stock components; lights, wipers, turn signals, blower motor, etc. work fine and have for years after the conversion.  

mklotz70

Just make sure you completely disconnect the stock radio before you do it......providing you have one.  The antenna creates a direct short to ground when you swap the polarity at the battery.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

Lil dat has been converted and the radio looks like it is original and it's working I wonder how they got around that? I'll have to do some inspection to see. Mike or anyone know how to get around that and make the + ground work when converted? I've tried various converters on other vehicles and was not impressed.

mklotz70

The radio that came with my NL has a pos/neg ground plug to swap it.  I get the impression that the rigs did not come with radios from Japan....they were all put in at the dealer.  I have yet to see the same radio in two different rigs. 

Jefe De Jefes

Well , went out and tinkered with the 320. I cleaned out the carb , put some oil in the engine , put a different coil in(old one leaked oil) and put in a battery . When I went to crank it over nothing happened . So I swapped the battery cables and still nothing. Time to check the wiring diagrams to make sure everything is connected correctly. The wiring to the old coil was + side coil to the distributor and - side coil to the fuse block. Seemed wrong to me so I switched it to + side coil to fuse block and - side coil to dizzy. I think i'm still wrong. Anybody remember off the top of their head how the coil is wired? Also noticed that my engine mounts aren't bolted to the engine. The mounts are connected to the frame but the plates/mounts on the engine block aren't connected to the frame mount. Looks like I have some bolts missing.

Jefe De Jefes

I started tracing the wires and I think the leads on my ignition switch were connected wrong. Maybe that's why it wouldn't crank over.

What is this ? It sits on the passenger side of the engine compartment , near the battery and the fuse block. I want to make sure where my wires are going.http://i270.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg[/IMG]

Jefe De Jefes

Here is a pic of my drivers side engine mount.You can tell the engine side sits lower than the frame mount. If anybody has any pics of their mounts handy please post them so I can see how to correct mine.

Jefe De Jefes

Check it. Just found this. Seems easy enough. Tells you how to polarize your generator and everything.

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/electric/convert.htm

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Pics restored..

Return to “Datsun 320”