porting the head??

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

so im kinda new to the whole forum thing. anyways i was wondering if porting the head on an s14 ka24de will make a difference. i did it to a buddys and he is planning to go turbo soon. the car is not running yet. oh and i ported the intake and the exhaust, i didnt polish at all. thanks

NateDogg

Yes it makes a difference. Whether a good or bad difference depends on your skill, experience and flowbench accuracy.

I would recommend leaving it to a professional that can measure small flow changes on a flow bench.

I'm sure your friend was glad you experimented on his engine and not yours *laughs*.

motoman399

haha im hoping for the best. all the ports looked to be fairly equal. i think i will do it to mine too when i build my motor....

pr240sx

polish the chambers and the exhaust ports

2.4niz

I just ported the head for my ka24. I was lucky enough to have access to a flow bench and saw huge differences over stock. (roughly 16% intake, 21% exhaust.) First off, unless you have a pro to walk you through it, it is a very bad idea to go grinding away with a carbide. Not that you did anything wrong, but take it to a shop that port polishes and have them tell you what they think. Just for future reference, you want to polish the exhaust ports to a mirror finish. the smoother the better. As for intake, it is very well designed and probably wont need much work. Just take any bumps or sharp edges off and call it good, DO NOT POLISH INTAKE!!! I cannot stress that enough. If it is smooth fuel will fall out of suspension and puddle before it reaches the valve. You want it no smoother than an 80grit cross buff, but sandpaper should do. Also, depending on the HP your looking for, taking material off the port may be very harmful. Increasing the overall size will flow more, but sacrifice velocity, so be careful and good luck!

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Ok, from what I found in my porting endeavors.. The intake side only needs some slight smoothing. And the exhaust side needs a bit of enlarging. Here's a thread i made when i started working on mine. As well as some pictures that I tried to keep up with. Check it out, maybe it will inspire you to do it yourself.... or to not do it at all.. lol

zerothread?id=222752

motoman399

2.4niz wrote:I just ported the head for my ka24. I was lucky enough to have access to a flow bench and saw huge differences over stock. (roughly 16% intake, 21% exhaust.) First off, unless you have a pro to walk you through it, it is a very bad idea to go grinding away with a carbide. Not that you did anything wrong, but take it to a shop that port polishes and have them tell you what they think. Just for future reference, you want to polish the exhaust ports to a mirror finish. the smoother the better. As for intake, it is very well designed and probably wont need much work. Just take any bumps or sharp edges off and call it good, DO NOT POLISH INTAKE!!! I cannot stress that enough. If it is smooth fuel will fall out of suspension and puddle before it reaches the valve. You want it no smoother than an 80grit cross buff, but sandpaper should do. Also, depending on the HP your looking for, taking material off the port may be very harmful. Increasing the overall size will flow more, but sacrifice velocity, so be careful and good luck!
so i didnt get too carried away with the intake. just smoothed out the rough edjes. with the exhaust i was able to take a lot out and smooth a lot of it. but i have heard that people are moving away from polishing the exhaust ports. im not sure why.. but thank you very much. when we get the car running ill let you know how i did.

motoman399

well im bringing back my first thread.

turns out when we put the engine back together on my friends car we got two of the same cams (exhaust cams from i think an altima). now we didnt know this because the previous owner gave them to us along with the head. the original head had snapped a cam. so we never got that engine running. so we threw my old engine in there, got it running then my friend started doing heroin and i stopped talking to him. i heard through the grape vine that the car wasnt running anymore and he was getting rid of it for cheap.

i bought that 95 s14 for 300 bucks. i tore the engine apart and it had cracked ring lands on every piston (was my old turbo engine) lol. so i bought cheap a** pistons off of ebay and polished the tops of them. i was going to make it into a race car. so i put the engine back together with the ported head and it ran great. i put my turbo kit on for all of 4 days just for the last drags of the season. it was fairly fast for only 4 psi. when i took the turbo kit off it i was curious to see what fuel mileage i would get. i drove 7 hours and got 32.4 mpg. pretty good. i ended up giving my girlfriend the car (she was riding a bike).

so i just thought i would follow up on my thread and let you all know i did it rightish lol

i have plans to go nuts with porting on my kouki. combustion chambers, intake and exhaust runners, upper and lower intake manifold, and exhaust/turbine housing. the lower intake manifold and exhaust manifold and turbine housing are already done. they turned out nice.

thats all. lol

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Sounds good man. I'm glad it all worked out!

I ended up swapping, and re-degreeing two exhaust cams from an S13. Those, along with the ported head, really woke that motor up. That wasn't realized until I got a better flowing turbo.

But again, good update. Let us know how the Kouki comes out!

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

How about backcutting the valves? This seems to be a surefire way to ease flow in and out of the cylinders. I haven't done this myself, ever, but I have enough confidence (vicariously) to say that in almost every case just backcutting the valves will ease flow into and out of the cylinders. If I ever mod any head, this will definitley be on the list.

Some manufacurers backcut valves for their stock engines. GM did this on the Vortec 350, helping to gain a 30% flow over the previous generation 350. I have started a thread in the engineering forum (home head work thread) where I am compiling articles/info on head porting, and we have some good stuff going on in there. Not too much engine specific at this point, but great stuff nonetheless.

Best of luck to ya! Well, forget luck, best of knowledge.

motoman399

eazye2000 wrote:Sounds good man. I'm glad it all worked out!

I ended up swapping, and re-degreeing two exhaust cams from an S13. Those, along with the ported head, really woke that motor up. That wasn't realized until I got a better flowing turbo.

But again, good update. Let us know how the Kouki comes out!
nice. i just helped my friend do the 248/232 swap in his s13. makes pretty good power for na and i am going to force him to get a t28 setup (cheap) so it will turn out good. i cant wait to do the 248/232 swap on my kouki. the lope is mean haha. when i port the head and intake on my kouki ill post some pics. i hope it turns out good. i now have all the tools to do it nicely. carbide bits, sanding drums in different grits, and cross buffs in different grits. so it should turn out nice and shiny on the exhaust and on the intake i might smooth them out and then bead blast the ports. im really hoping that my setup flows like a banshee!
seang wrote:How about backcutting the valves? This seems to be a surefire way to ease flow in and out of the cylinders. I haven't done this myself, ever, but I have enough confidence (vicariously) to say that in almost every case just backcutting the valves will ease flow into and out of the cylinders. If I ever mod any head, this will definitley be on the list.

Some manufacurers backcut valves for their stock engines. GM did this on the Vortec 350, helping to gain a 30% flow over the previous generation 350. I have started a thread in the engineering forum (home head work thread) where I am compiling articles/info on head porting, and we have some good stuff going on in there. Not too much engine specific at this point, but great stuff nonetheless.

Best of luck to ya! Well, forget luck, best of knowledge.
well i have never heard about "back cutting" the valves. but im sure going to look into it. im not fond of gm but i know that they are smarter than i am so i may try it lol thanks for the info

scotty-2-forty
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX SE KA24DET

Thought you could get some ideas from mine ... here you go ...

Stock:

Ported:

motoman399

scotty-2-forty wrote:Thought you could get some ideas from mine ... here you go ...
damn dude seems you have the SWEET setup. i have seen you post A LOT of baller things for your car lately. do you have a build thread i could check out?

oh and did you do the porting yourself? and did you have it turbo before and after?

scotty-2-forty

motoman399 wrote:
damn dude seems you have the SWEET setup. i have seen you post A LOT of baller things for your car lately. do you have a build thread i could check out?

oh and did you do the porting yourself? and did you have it turbo before and after?
Thanks very much. I've been around these boards since mid 2002, but only lately getting involved again after buying the car back from my ex-biz partner at Speed Injected. I sold it to him April 2005 (needed $$ and a sport bike ... ). Dumb decision, but he held it for me and said it would be there when I was ready to buy it back. Well, it was, and I did. Nothing really changed on the car except the wheels and a few asthetic issues I've been dealing with, but it was garaged and pampered the entire 5 years. Good friends are hard to find! Anyway, I don't actually have a 'build' thread, but if you go to my Cardomain ( http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828985 ) on page 3 is the list of parts and quite a few pics from when I built the car. The head porting was done by Steven Wright, a good friend of WrighTouch Racing (now defunct). He is an expert in DSM performance, and he and my ex-biz partner Garry Marsh were professionally racing at the time the world's quickest FWD Mitsubishi Eclipse in NIRA (way back in the day ... '98/'01). The head was purpose ported for the turbo setup, but obvioulsy could have been used for a rather impressive NA setup too.

pirsq
Car: mr2 aw11, ae86 corolla,swift gti,corolla 4 door

glad to know you got your car back in your hands it was always a sweet piece.glad people still like my head work i still do ka heads if anyone is interested common gain on turbo cars no cams stock size valves are around 80whp and with 1mm over valves small cams(jim wolf stg 1) picked up 120whp on another.hit me up if you guy need port work.
and for you drag and road race guys who wants some 36 way double adjustable rear shocks .....coming very sooooooon

superDorifto
Car: 1997 Eclipse Spyder - AWD/5spd swap in progress
1995 Q45 - 5spd swap in progress
1984 200sx hatch(KA-t swap) - 355WHP
1991/1993/1995/1997 240s - Dead
1982 200sx hatch - fixed/scrapped

^

But do agree, a friend that will hold onto a car and take care of it for so long is hard to find.

scotty-2-forty

pirsq wrote:glad to know you got your car back in your hands it was always a sweet piece.glad people still like my head work i still do ka heads if anyone is interested common gain on turbo cars no cams stock size valves are around 80whp and with 1mm over valves small cams(jim wolf stg 1) picked up 120whp on another.hit me up if you guy need port work.
and for you drag and road race guys who wants some 36 way double adjustable rear shocks .....coming very sooooooon
Steven??? Email me, [email protected]

pella
Car: 1995 240sx S14

What does it cost to have a shop port and polish a head?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”