1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I have finished the singleplayer mode. I will not include any spoilers at this point. Maybe later once more people have finished it.

It took me somewhere in the realm of 8-9 hours, including getting stuck on 2 chambers for a bit (for some reason the Excursion Funnels affect how I "Think With Portals" and I forget I can just walk through one portal and out the other rather than having to use the Funnel to carry me through).

I can say without hesitation that it takes everything great about the first game and makes it better. It's not just longer, and it's not just more challenging. It's well-tuned. The length feels natural, and the puzzles progress well. Valve didn't simply turn the difficulty dial progressively higher. Old and new testing elements combine gradually, and rather than ending up with chambers full of one of everything, the tests keep the lineup rotating, so there's always some fresh new combination of tools to think about in a new way.

The humor of Wheatley (the new AI seen in some previews and teasers for the game) and GlaDOS playing off each other is excellent. Wheatley offers up some great top-notch British timing and dryness in his humor.

The final confrontation had me laughing histerically, especially the final blow. Excellent stuff. And Animal King is awesome. Just putting that out there. No, that's not a spoiler, and no I didn't just say that's not a spoiler because it really is a spoiler.
And GlaDOS' new song is worth the wait.

There were a couple of disappointments, but they were minor.
The first is that you can't just pick anything in the world up anymore. Most chairs and computers and phones are "glued down" like in...well...games not made by Valve. One of my favorite things to do in Portal 1 is to open a portal at a Emancipation Grid and send a parade of chairs into it. Silly, dumb, and fun. Can't do that anymore.

There are also some UI and options missing from the game. The first game offered an option to add a small, color-coded circle next to your reticle to indicate the last portal fired. It saved a LOT trouble, and I depended on it hugely. It's gone in the sequel. Why?

Also, the "portal funnel" option from the first game (the one that makes it easier to fall into portals rather than smacking the ground next to them) is gone now. It seems like it's on for good. The problem with this is that, while it makes it easier to do long falls into portals, it also messes with more precision operations like using two portals placed close together, or trying to maneuver while falling between portals. I play Portal 1 with that feature disabled. I'd like to play Portal 2 with it off as well.

I bought the PS3 version because, through SteamPlay, it unlocks a PC/Mac copy as well. I've played the game on both systems, and there are some small but noticable differences
The game looks noticably better on my PC (An i7 920 at stock clockspeed, with a GeForce GTX260 and 9GB of RAM). There are additional particle effects missing from the PS3 version, and with AA and AF turned to max on the PC, the image looks cleaner than the PS3 version at the same resolution (1366x768 for both my TV and my PC monitor).

I also noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference in the strength of the aforementioned "portal funnel" effect. On the PS3, you're noticably "sucked" into alignment with any portal you approach. On the PC, it's more like power steering than autopilot: it just helps you line up, it doesn't do it for you. I imagine that's because it's harder for many people, like myself, to be as precise with an analog stick as with a well-tuned mouse.

I also found, to my disappointment, that the PS3's control schemes are predefined, not user-configurable, and all suck balls. There's NO option to use analog stick buttons for duck and jump. In fact, the default setup (as well as another of the four) has you using X (A on the 360) as jump. X! How are you supposed to pull-off difficult maneuvers when you can't jump and aim at the same time?! The other two options allow you to remap jump to a shoulder button, which is a huge improvement, but still not pefect. And, from Valve, I expected fully configurable controls, not 4 terrible presets.

The biggest thing to note about the PS3 version of the game is that SteamPlay ends up being much less useful than it sounds. Despite having your saves backed up to SteamCloud, so you can theoretically pick up your game on any machine in the world, console and PC saves are INCOMPATIBLE. I played the first 90 minutes of Portal 2 on my PS3, while the game downloaded on my PC. Once the PC version finished, I switched to that, only to find that my saves hadn't carried over, despite the PS3 version having displayed a SteamCloud "Synching" icon when I saved. A quick Google answered the question: saves are backed up, but not cross-platform compatible. So I had to play through the first 90 minutes again. I should probably say "got to" rather than "had to" because I still enjoyed it, but I also REALLY wanted to move on and see what was ahead as well.

I did play a little co-op with my brother. While a lot of how it works SEEMS obvious when you think about it, training yourself to think with those functions in the game is another matter. Some REALLY simple stuff involving traversing the other player's portal stumped us, until we remembered that portals are portals. It's also weird getting used to having either Red/Orange or Blue/Purple portals, rather than an orange and a blue. I kind of wish they'd gone with Orange/Blue and Red/Purple since everyone's already used to the former combo.
In co-op, you have visual indicators that work using the F key, and you can indicate a visual point of interest, a spot to place a portal, or a countdown from 3 for synchronizing efforts. You can also hold Tab to show a picture-in-picture view of exactly what your partner is seeing. And, as you progress through co-op tests, you unlock "gestures" which are single- or double-robot animations such as waving or high-fives. There's even a digital store (which disappointingly uses real money) where you can buy accessories for your robots, like hats, flags, mustaches, new paintjobs, and glasses (well, a glass). Hopefully it opens up with more content, and hopefully the prices fall ($8 for the glass(es?)!!!!!!!!!!).

One more thing of note, entirely unrelated to the game itself or anything else valve, except that it's built in Source:
There's an interactive "trailer" for J.J. Abrams' Super 8 in the Extras menu, which doesn't seem to exist on the PS3 version. It's there on PC though. Worth going through, even if it's only "interactive" in the sense that you walk around in it.

Now for the Developer Commentary...I'll be back in a few hours.

hitbychance
Car: 2008 350z
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L hemi

i rented this game last because i knew it would be short, i'm only in the test chamber, i'll play some more tonight hopefully.

gearhead05
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I planned on doing the same thing as you and getting the PS3 version for the free PC version. Two questions; what is the process for getting the PC version? And is the free PC copy a limited thing or is that forever (if I bought the game in like a month or so)?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's permanent. This is just a third platform being added to SteamPlay, which makes all your purchases available on all platforms the product was developed for. Since Portal 2 is available on PS3, PC, and Mac, you get access to it on all 3. Everything from your Steam profile carries over. Friends, achievements, etc. Unless something changes with SteamPlay support on PS3/PSN, PS3 copies of the game should always include a cross-platform license key.

The process for registering the PC version has two steps:
1: You first have to launch the game on your PS3, then sign into Steam on the PS3. It will tie the Steam account to whichever PSN account you're logged to when you sign into Steam, so make sure you're using the right one (It'll warn you before proceeding).
2: There's a license key that comes with the PS3 version. You start up Steam, hit the Games menu, and choose "register a product on steam" and enter your code. The code only works after you've linked your Steam and PSN accounts and actually run portal at least once on the PS3. After that, it installs on the PC just like any normally-purchased game. It's a hair over 10GB, but it only took me about 90 minutes to install.

gearhead05
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

Awesome. Thanks for the info :bigthumb:

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

I'll get it eventually...I just can't justify spending 50 or even 40 bucks on a game I'll play for at most 10 hours and never touch again. TF2/HL2, BC2, Starcrafts, Oblivion...all gave me in excess of 100 hours of playtime each and easily worth the 50 bucks.

hitbychance

^ this
There is an online co-op mode but i'm not sure what you do after you beat both, i like the game but i only rented it because i know ill beat it in a week playing it casually.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

ScorchedNX2K wrote:I'll get it eventually...I just can't justify spending 50 or even 40 bucks on a game I'll play for at most 10 hours and never touch again. TF2/HL2, BC2, Starcrafts, Oblivion...all gave me in excess of 100 hours of playtime each and easily worth the 50 bucks.
I guess you could look at it that way, but to me it has much more replayability than that. I've played through Portal 1 many times. The first time through, you figure everything out. Then in subsequent times through, you have the freedom to find secrets, etc. There's also Commentary Mode, which covers the full singleplayer mode and a few areas of co-op.

I have finished co-op as well, now. It was shorter than I'd hoped, but I've gone through it twice now (with two different people) and it was a lot of fun both times, and we came up with some very different solutions both times.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I played through the co-op version and am working on the single player campaign still. The Co-op was great. Much more depth required in terms of thought as you do have to think about sequences of creating portals, including who creates them and who walks through them, and trying to coordinate things that require some timing to get right. There was much more hilarity in them as well...while we were running around trying to figure out a particular level, I set one portal up high on a wall. My GF was running around and happened to be standing on a platform that I could create a portal on....so I did. She suddenly found herself plunging to her death. We were playing on separate xboxes so it took her a moment to realize what just happened. I laughed for 5 minutes straight.

RCA

C-Kwik was portal trolling hahaha...

So far I have seen some live streams of portal and I have to say, the writing is just as good or better than Portal 1. I only played portal for the first time about 2 months ago so I am super excited for the new one. But a full price game that is basically single player, that is a tough one. I haven't played GoW3 because of this. I should rent it once school get's out.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

There are some official Portal 2 shirts and other accessories available, too.
store.valvesoftware.com

I LOVE the 1940s style Aperture logo.

I ordered a Pint glass. I'd get a '40s logo shirt, too, but they don't come in black. :squint:

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
There are also some UI and options missing from the game. The first game offered an option to add a small, color-coded circle next to your reticle to indicate the last portal fired. It saved a LOT trouble, and I depended on it hugely. It's gone in the sequel. Why?
On the 360 Version the color of the bubble on the Portal Gun changes color to the last Portal fired. I was irritated by the apparent lack of that circle at first until I realized I needed to look at the barrel-esque portion of the gun. Not a place that you look 99% of the time though and I prefer the old system still as I frequently shoot the wrong color portal when firing a portal mid-flight.

redtop91

Also...

:rotfl

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Went to a BBQ this weekend and watched my friend's son playing this game.

Uhhh, you guys need a hobby, because that s*** was BOOOORING. I'm like, "Where's the bad guys?" "Why can't you shoot that?" "Where's the exit?" "This is a bigass warehouse." How long are you gonna fall?" "What's the green stuff?"

He finally asked me to go away. Punk.

Call me old, but all that game did was make me carsick and confused.

The graphics aren't even as good as MOH circa 2004.

redtop91

From a casual gaming perspective I tend to agree but I believe this game goes back to the grassroots of platforming, irradiates them, and injects them with HGH. At its core it's all about getting from point A to point B which seems boring until you sit down and play it. The heroin in this game is the AHA! moment when you realize that the way you've been going about trying to solve the puzzle is inanely difficult and truly doesn't work. The beauty of Portal is when you come into a room and start formulating ideas because the designers did such a good job of making the answers obvious when you think correctly, but not so obvious you can see through every puzzle when you walk into a room. In short, PLAY IT. It's a whole different experience. Honestly the dialogue in this one is so good that I'd be entertained listening in while someone else plays.

RCA

For me it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if you didn't play the first one. My favorite part is after spending 15mins dying in a puzzle, you finally get that "Ah hA" moment and you solve it. Any way, the best part of the game is the story line.

redtop91

Just beat it. The ending was absolutely effing brilliant. Never have I felt so rewarded for completing a game. Hopefully some DLC comes very soon! :yesnod:

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

AZhitman wrote:Went to a BBQ this weekend and watched my friend's son playing this game.

Uhhh, you guys need a hobby, because that s*** was BOOOORING. I'm like, "Where's the bad guys?" "Why can't you shoot that?" "Where's the exit?" "This is a bigass warehouse." How long are you gonna fall?" "What's the green stuff?"

Puzzle games certainly aren't for everyone. Believe it or not, though, I occasionally get tired of shooting at things that bleed and want a change. Then I turn to Portal, or Minecraft, or the like.

I wonder which part of the game you were watching. It sounds like you might have ADD. :biggrin: But it also sounds like you might have missed out on the audio, which is full of well-tuned humor. Or it might have been a lull in the "happenings." Or you might just be bored by Portal. But there are definitely more- and less- eventful bits.

Graphics are a non-issue to me. I don't have any particular need for shiny or cutting-edge visuals, I just want the visuals to support the gameplay and help build an enjoyable setting. Portal's stylized look doesn't depend on powerful graphics anyway. Portal's basis, the Source engine, has actually been around since...2004. It has seen a lot of tweaking and upgrading and is much different these days, but it still has its roots in 2004's Half Life 2.

Also, the best MoH was Underground, and its graphics are poo.

Oh, and if you were watching it played on a console, that's why it looks like 2004. Consoles missed out on some graphical shinies compared to the PC version.

RCA

Are you still there?

http://vimeo.com/22804972

Awesome!

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

AZhitman wrote:Went to a BBQ this weekend and watched my friend's son playing this game.

Its a puzzle game, really... Just packed up like a shooter to make it more palatable.

Never seen anyone cheer on a crosswords puzzle, but plenty of people still enjoy them. (ok, s*** example... crossword puzzles suck)

You can do some fun things to launch yourself around, and it challenges you to come up with creative ways to solve problems.

Next tune, try it out... Old people suck at using controllers :gapteeth: , so you probably wont get into it, but assuming you can move the guy around like you want you may actually have fun.

I really liked the first one, and considering the fact I get it for PC too, I am definitely going to have to get this game.

I may have to try and recruit some people for co-op though... I don't have many gaming buddies who would be into it.
I hope I can get someone to buy it with me though, seems like it would be more fun figuring out together rather then just being guided through.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Co-op's a blast. My brother and I spend as much time sabotaging each other as solving test chambers. Valve integrated some very well-designed communication tools that make solving puzzles together very natural.

hitbychance

i want to buy this game, but i have no co-op buddy nor do i think i'll play it after i beat it

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

DLC has been confirmed, but no details yet. More info is supposedly coming in the next couple of weeks.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Beat it last night.

Was short, but longer then the first one, and very good.
Was probably 4 days of some pretty solid sessions, only a couple chambers I sat in for too long.
I did cheat on 2 chambers and check tutorials, both times I felt stupid seeing the answer, and the second time I only watched like 5 seconds as the first thing he did was the only thing I was missing. Both times I had wandered as loitered as long as possible and no new ideas were coming.

Can't wait till the network is up and I find someone to co-op it with me, been bugging a friend to get it and he seemed interested in being interested but pretty lethargic about actually going and getting it.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

I've completed single-player mode twice now and absolutely love it. I haven't yet tried co-op, but I'm looking forward to it. I only have the PC version, as my hands are retarded if I'm not using a keyboard/mouse combo. :) (Racing games, Mass Effect and Wii being the exceptions).

I predict there will be HL2:Ep3 easter eggs embedded in the game that will come out as part of the marketing campaign for Ep3. There also may be some already that we just don't recognize as such because we don't have any context for them.

I loved the evolution of the logo and the facility itself. Now to go back and learn how to do custom maps in Source using HL2 textures and shapes so I can get started on my 3d rendering of an operational Titan 1 ICBM base.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I apologize for being late as f*** to this game. Traded in a horrible AC3 game for better Portal 2, and another gift game. Pretty awesome and completely entertaining so far.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's definitely good stuff. Definitely worth playing through again with commentary on.

Return to “Gaming”