Portable Generator

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
classic_swinger
Car: 2015 Nissan Leaf

I decided to take a 90 mile trip in my Leaf I knew that I would need to charge the car for a few hours in-between my trip, so I took my portable 3500 4000 max portable generator with me I only needed 20 miles of juice to make it back home I stopped with 8 miles on the charge life left got my generator out and started it then plugged it in and the light for charge mode started then quit I tried 3 times before giving up. Got lucky though because I parked near a storage place that was being built called number on the board guy told me down the road is his RV storage area there, I can find an electrical outlet. Took 4 hours to get 23 miles back up on the car. Got worried I might have damaged the charging system on the car. Anyone have any ideas how to get a portable generator to function.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I never measured the AC load to the home charger, but it's a lot. People burn up wall plugs on them all the time from a little resistance in the plug and socket. At 4KW that genny can only surge 34A, so my guess is the charger's surge load on startup was too much for it.

Return to “Leaf Forum”