Porsche Cayman S. They've done it again

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

http://ws.us.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp?

Wow. The extra costs would be killer, but wow

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

They've done what agian?

Nissan was asked something during the 350Z"s unveiling that IIRC was "will this new Z, like the origional 240, perform with the porsche for half the price?"

one of the lead engineers kinda smiled and said

"Better"

All things considered, that's a nice looking, and probably fun to drive car. From my own standpoint, Id rather be driving what I do..it costs 1/2 as much (maybe even only 45%) is apparently only 15hp short (I didn't see the curb weight..we have even have an edge there)..which can be fixed quickly with off-the-shefl NISMO or other aftermakret parts.

Plus, I know enough finally about suspension, weight distribution etc for me to view the Porshe RR layout as anything but fundamentally flawed, regardless of how much band-aiding you do to it with tire pressure, larger rear tires, etc....

Love the way it looks though, and I'm not one to compliment Porsche's looks...very clean, I especially like the ***-end for how the hatchglass comes down and splits the two rear 1/4 panels...very sleek.

I'd take a Z anyday though..

-Chet

350zQ45a

The cayman is not rear engined. It's mid engined. It's been said its tracking the nurburgring faster then the 911

Don't even compare the two. The cayman is faster, and will outhandle the Z. Yes, it's more expensive, because it's a porsche

Have you ever driven a porsche? The steering, the feel, the whole package is 100x what a nissan is.

Money aside, this vehicle isn't anywhere close to the Z

Exar-Kun

I've driven plenty of Porsche models.

Boxter, Boxter S (2004), a GT2, a 911 Turbo (2 of them, 1990s and a 2003) to name a few; from my work and friends of mine. The Boxters are just plain crappy, IMO for how much they charge and the various inefficiencies they have (design flaws) after doing ME for 1.5 years and studying suspension, chassis and tire design and how they work together as a hobby for the past 3 years...well...I like the Porsche suspension design for the most part but I am never quite going "WOW! That's awesome they did that! (barring the GT series). You are correct I was wrong to assume it was RR (as most Porsches are), and I'm glad Porsche swapped to a MR.

I've driven plenty, and it's not 100X what a Z is, thats my whole point....The engine doesnt produce much more HP, and falls short on Torque too, IMO.

I've driven plenty of fast cars, race track and otherwise. My hat is off to Porsche brakes (they rule!) and other interesting mechanical items they use, and how well they tamed the fundamentally flawed RR engine layout by continually moving the engine toward a more MR setup and such, but I still don't like it.

My biggest problem with most Porsche cars is I don't get my adrenaline moving like a Z or a prancing horse does. My grandma could drive the 911 twin turbo very fast, and that's my problem. IF you can talk on your cell phone, have a drink, and still drive the car fast..the car is doing too much work for you, and of the new Porsches I've driven they all seem to do exactly that. Which is why I -LOVE- the GT2 and GT3...no PSM no TCS, etc..just the car and you. That's a car that got MY adrenaline pumping.

Most Porshes, like Corvettes for me, command my respect, but they don't get my approval.

I'd love to drive the new one though...maybe it will change my opinion.

-Chet

350zQ45a

I understand what you're saying. I guess it just depends.

TO me porsche has things no load of tuning on a Z could bring to the table. The feel of the car, the sound of the engine behind your ears, the feel and experience of the car is what commands the premiums. Porsche probably has the most enthusiastic owners of any car, and for a reason.

The 911 turbo was designesd to be easy to drive at the limit. IT is an exctremly capable vehicle, and your grandma may be able to drive it fast, but that's what it's about

Porshe rules because they offer the GT solution for those wanting the RWD high hp madness.

Porsche continues to prove itself on the race track, and has for generations.

If the GTR delivers, it will be Nissans 911 turbo. I simply am waiting ever so patiently.

The looks though, it needs the styling..

Exar-Kun

Yea I saw the "spy shot" and the destroked Twin turbo 3.3l VQ rumor of 450hp...

that'd be bad-***..and waaaaay out of my price range. My favorite porsche...

-Chet

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”