Popping Sound

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

There is a popping sound coming from the drivers side front of the car. It happens when I either turn slowly or go from D to R or vise versa onece the car is in gear it pops. Does anyone know what this is? I checked and everyhtign is still tight and its really bugging me!

DenverQ

bump

Noone has any info?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

What you're describing is one of those "it could be anything" situations. I'd check the sway bar bushings, end links, upper links, and everything else in the suspension for play. I know that doesn't help much....

Heath

Chally
Car: '94 Infiniti Q45
2002 Nissan Patrol 4.8L
2013 Citroen C4 (economy)

What exactly does the Pop sound like? :D

Does it do it with the brakes applied only, or ??? Can you shed more light to the noise, eg. Hot, cold, r/h or l/h side, can you feel it in the steering, brake pedal etc etc etc.

DenverQ

it pops usally when i get in the lower speed of braking like 15mph or below or when I turn a corner slowly its on the left hand side and i cen feel it on my left foot like its in the frame. It also pops when either I go from D to R once it changes gears and i have the brakes on it pops then if i do it again it will pop again

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It definately sounds like a bushing or something shifting that's not bolted down right. You might try selectively spraying points under the car with a silicone spray (one at a time) and see if you can change or eliminate the noise. It's really just a trial and error process. If you can consistently make the noise happen it's much easier to diagnose... of course the other option is to wait for something to fall off :)

Heath

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

How about motor mounts? Have you revved it in gear with the hood open to look for excessive engine movement?

Chally
2002 Nissan Patrol 4.8L

Check the upper control link on the suspension. It will be affected by what you are describing.

It can also be a spring moving slightly (unusual) or loose suspension bolts.

Get someone, or do it youself, to tighten all the suspension bolts & nuts, & while it's on the ground, grab the top of the wheel & try & move it in & out & feel for movement. This will be a bit difficult, but it may show up where the noise is coming from.

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

911/Q45 wrote:How about motor mounts? Have you revved it in gear with the hood open to look for excessive engine movement?

how much is too much movement?

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

The left top of the plenum should rise less than 1" revved mildly in drive with brakes on, right side in reverse same amount.

DenverQ

OK I just tightened every nut. The one that I believe helped was the thrid link the bolt the hooks it to the steering knuckle it wasnt too tight to i cranked it down. I drove it around and this solved about 90% of the pop but it still pops when I hard brake in revrse or turn the wheels to lock and brake, but its a much smaller pop.

Now my question is is the third link bad or do I just need to keep retighttening it?

If do need a new one I might as well get new uper link and a third link for the other side right?

Chally
2002 Nissan Patrol 4.8L

I would be replacing the top link. Because it was loose, it seems as if it has elongated the hole that the bolt goes through, or the bushing is just worn out, & by tightening it, you are crushing it slightly & reducing the clunk, which is still movement in the bush.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”