Popping/rattle noise from base of windshield

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Clmass918
Car: G37 coupe journey

I have a 2011 G37 coupe that I bought 2 months ago. It makes a popping/rattle noise while driving. The noise sounds like it's coming from the base of the windshield where it meets the dash. It isn't continuous, but happens often enough to be annoying. It's louder and more frequent on rougher surface roads. Anyone else have this problem? I have an appt. with the service dept. where I bought it in a week but would like to be able to give them a better idea of the problem if someone else has had this fixed. Thanks!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

It's probably the outside plastic trim rubbing against the window. I've had it before and have solved it by pulling the trim and cleaning underneath it...I've also had luck by simply saturating the area with Rain-X which allows it to slide more (spray right at the edge so it saturates behind where it touches the glass).

Realize the G can play tricks as to where the sound is coming from. The first time I thought I was having the noise from the dash it was actually the passenger seatbelt rubbing the center console.

Boatgangster
Car: 2012 G37x coupe

I just started having that same noise; sounds like coming from center of dash where windshield meets the dash (2012 G37x coupe). Thanks Audtatious for the advice given to Clmass918; I'm going to give that a try.

Boatgangster
Car: 2012 G37x coupe

The Rain-X trick worked, never would have thought of that; thanks Audtatious. Just in case I need to clean underneath the trim in the future, how do you remove the trim from around the windshield?

Khamren04
Car: 06 g35 coupe Stillen z tube Motordyne 5/16 spacer rev up air box k&n drop in Osiris tune

I have 06 coupe and have the same problem wth is that noise

TheHoth
Car: 2013 G37xS
No sport brakes:(

I have the very same problem. It is quite annoying. I recently got the rattle of the passenger side seat fixed and now there are noises coming from the base of the windshield and dash area. :frown:

reybeast
Car: 2013 G37

I have the same thing, seems to be coming from in front of the passenger seat where the windshield meets the dashboard. Mine sounds like someone is gently thumping the dashboard with their finger.

reybeast
Car: 2013 G37

I have the same thing, seems to be coming from in front of the passenger seat where the windshield meets the dashboard. Mine sounds like someone is gently thumping the dashboard with their finger.

PrairieGuy74
Car: 2021 Nissan Sentra

I had this experience with my 2021 Sentra. It turned out to be the undercar Shield that was loose and vibrating in the wind while driving. The sound was carrying up to the windshield. As soon as the undercar shield was fixed, the rattle stopped.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”