Poor antenna reception?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
drob07
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 with Navigation and Alpine cda-9883 head unit. Grille Guard + Tail light guards

Hey everyone. I have had my 01 Qx4 for about 2 and half years now. I have recenlty installed an fm modulator which is similar to an fm transmitter except its a direct plug into the stereo. I have now come to realize how poor my radio reception is in the Atlanta area. Even on the main radio stations, I have poor audio. I am assuming I need to replace my antenna but really don't want to pay someone else a premium to do it. I was wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this issue and knows how to go about replacing it. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

FM modulator will always have poor and static-y reception, especially in busy cities like Atlanta for example. The best solution is to get your stereo hardwired, or install a switch on the antenna wire so that you can keep the antenna lowered while you use your FM modulator - this can improve sound quality

drob07
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 with Navigation and Alpine cda-9883 head unit. Grille Guard + Tail light guards

I appreciate the quick response. I thought about scrapping the whole idea and just buying a new head unit with a direct plug in for my ipod. But before I do so, would either of your suggestions end up costing a lot more. I have already put in 40 or so dollars into this fm modulator which isn't terrible but I don't want to spend another 30 or up on this if I can just get a new head unit.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Do the '01's have tape decks? I'd go that route first before replacing a head unit. Search this forum and you'll realize it's a small headache to do that.

drob07

well I actually used to have a tape deck converter for my ipod. I had borrowed my friends for awhile and it produced decent sound. The tape always made a noise when in operation that you could sometime hear when playing a quiet song. I remember reading somewhere that if I did get an aftermark head unit, then I would have to bypass the bose amp or something. I just am sick of dealing with poor quality music!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”