Please tell me it's not the cvt! (very sudden problem)

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
MalcolmY

So I have a 2.5S Altima, about 242000 Km.

Today, SUDDENLY without any kind of early warnings, I hear a loud sound coming somewhere from the front of the vehicle mostly to the center to the right side. And mostly coming from somewhere down the car.

I was decelerating getting ready for a right turn, before I turned right I got the sound, and at the same time the tires seemed to "jumP and little, like they were square tires or something was lifting them up slightly.

The first thing that came to mind was the axles, but the engine didn't want to respond to the pedal, for a few seconds. I stopped and looked for anything weird with no luck.

The car moved again for around 2 Km then it quit. Putting the gear in P/D/R doesn't make any difference, it's all neutral. I checked the cvt oil, it was full or even way more than full on the hot side of the stick.

I had no previous symptoms nor warnings at all, no vibration, no lights no nothing.

Is there any chance this could be something other then the bloody cvt? Torque converter? Maybe a demon destroyed both axles at the same time?

MalcolmY

If the cvt needs work, what do you think of these belts/chains? What else should I have ready to be replaced?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CVT-Drive-Belt- ... g~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Trans ... 9L&vxp=mtr

MalcolmY

UPDATE

So the mechanic took out the cvt and found out that everything is in good condition except the chain and the torque converter.

He told me nissan sells a new torque converter (for more than the cost of a whole used transmission with TQ).

TQs are only sold with used CVTs, so because of the TQ cost I have to buy a used cvt.

What I'm wondering is, is it better to open the "new" used cvt to seed if it's in better shape than mine and take the chain from it, or install it as is? Is there a downside for simply opening up the thing just to look inside?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

MalcolmY wrote:UPDATE

So the mechanic took out the cvt and found out that everything is in good condition except the chain and the torque converter.

He told me nissan sells a new torque converter (for more than the cost of a whole used transmission with TQ).

TQs are only sold with used CVTs, so because of the TQ cost I have to buy a used cvt.

What I'm wondering is, is it better to open the "new" used cvt to seed if it's in better shape than mine and take the chain from it, or install it as is? Is there a downside for simply opening up the thing just to look inside?
You do know that a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is completely different from a standard transmission, right?
Traditional automatic transmissions have five, six or even seven gears, while Nissan's XTRONIC CVT doesn’t even have traditional fixed gear ratios. Instead, it uses a steel belt or chain and a pulley system to move up and down the gear ratio in continuously smooth motion, providing seamless shifting, stronger acceleration and increased fuel economy. There is no “shifting” in the conventional sense of the word.

MalcolmY

Yes I do that's why I kept saying cvt. What makes you ask?

MalcolmY

UPDATE 2:

So there was no way around replacing the transmission unfortunately, the torque converter turned out to be in good condition so they used it with the "new" used cvf. Cost as follows, I'm converting my currency to an approximate USD:

~ $1067 used CVT
~ $134 Labor
~ $67 cvt oil
Total = ~ $1268

I have the car now for three 3 days, very light on the gas pedal you have no idea how paranoid I am not to even bother the new transmission! Everything feels like my old car, no complaints.

Any advise for caring for this new transmission? Don't assume I know the obvious stuff.

barnaclebob
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE
2011 Altima SR

Just change the fluid on time. $1270 sounds like a pretty good price for that work.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

MalcolmY wrote:UPDATE 2:

So there was no way around replacing the transmission unfortunately, the torque converter turned out to be in good condition so they used it with the "new" used cvf. Cost as follows, I'm converting my currency to an approximate USD:

~ $1067 used CVT
~ $134 Labor
~ $67 cvt oil
Total = ~ $1268

I have the car now for three 3 days, very light on the gas pedal you have no idea how paranoid I am not to even bother the new transmission! Everything feels like my old car, no complaints.

Any advise for caring for this new transmission? Don't assume I know the obvious stuff.
What's the history behind the used CVT? Be careful with used CVTs as you can easily set yourself up and purchase a CVT with problems....unless the CVT came off an extremely low mileage car Nissan that was totaled, without affect to the CVT. Nissan's remanufactured CVTs are typically the best bet, albeit the $$$ price tag.

MalcolmY

I tried very hard to know anything about these used CVTs, what I found was that the salvage shops that sell transmissions have no idea about them.

All they know is that it fits a 4th gen altima 4 cylinder, that's literally it. They include a one month warranty.

It's been more than a month with no complaints now. I've given in to my paranoia and installed an extra transmission oil cooler.

Nissan over here doesn't sell any remanufactured parts at all. They do sell a new CVT at almost a new car price. F that.

Vinpogba

Yes I do that's why I kept saying cvt. What makes you ask?

Vinpogba

Anyone please answer me :/ I tried very hard to know anything about these used CVTs, The 5 Best Legal Steroids what I found was that the salvage shops that sell transmissions have no idea about them.

Vinpogba

hey

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”