PLEASE tell me if there is a fuel pump access door under the back seat?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
J30ZX
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Or trunk. Good morning, everyone. Apologies on the rushed post.

I presently have a J30 that died on me a few times while driving, won't start back up, has "questionable" results as to PRESSURE on pulling fuel line past fuel filter. Seems to produce SOME fuel.. Just sayin'. Video is coming.

Have not removed trunk carpeting and am halfway through rear seat.. IS there an access panel under it?

J30ZX

This video here may not be directly related to the question I asked of "Is there an access door under the backseat" (I hope there is. Or in the trunk. but I have not yet seen it, lifting up the driver side...) but.. Here is why I suspect fuel pump, amongst other reasons.

I believe the pump to be weak. It does prime. I showed evidence of all of this in the video. Even tried taking fuel pump fuse out to clear any possible flood,... IF there was one. Car "seemed to want to start when fuel line was off" which baffles me. :wtf2:

EDIT: And yes I know this is my 2nd post.. I notice it did not "Embed," Is there a way to do that? This is a good-looking forum but. The below link is to the video I made of details.

1993 Infiniti J30
128,500 miles
"Pretty good" condition, some parts not perfect.
I'd like to keep it..

New MAF sensor August
New TPS sensor September

Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix Link(s)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. I'm not all too well versed in your vehicle, but can offer an option for you.

Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a look at the link in my signature and find the FSM for your car and you'll have all the info you'll ever need to make the repair and try to diagnose it for yourself while help is on the way.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Identifix says the tank has to drop if it's the pump, there's no access hole. The car should have an "ashcan" style inline fuel filter, make sure it isn't clogged before you go chasing anything else. There's also a Pump Controller and dropping resistor located in the trunk on the passenger side and a Pump Relay located behind the TCM, either one could be causing your issue. Here's the diagnostic wiring diagram from the SM:

93 J30 Fuel.jpg
There's also a bulletin about the relay, apparently there were two different kinds used:

ITB95-042.jpg

macgiver

I got one of these know ALL about this, better pm me - better yet 10 minutes over the over the phone too I'll straighten ya out from the correct things to begin with , check & do . My J got 283kmi - same factory pump ,your question on tank , you remove the inside trunk baffle , tank is actually inside trunk past trunk hinges , pump module behind rt side velour baffle of trunk has little plastic phillips retainers on both . To me , the pump and module are bulletproof , your intermittent & diving into the trunk is last resort. Many ,of my posts cover all these things too many , will be too tedious for you to look-up. Nice to see J's still out there and verbal is best way for me to break this down for you .
But as VStar suggests , like the 'can' filter is a no brainer CHANGE IT , although your car is as clean as mine , I NEVER had restrictive filter problems w/ this car , but you got intermittent operation here.

p.s. Relay NOT green or blue - it's a rather rare BROWN , fairly expensive , very few used in rest of car. Also IF you work on 'can' filter , is the best time to install a pressure gauge inline after filter - before the rail , cause this car gotta be the easiest to add a fuel gauge - INDISPENSABLE - try to do it.

J30ZX

Hello macgiver! I pulled the backseat... I didn't see an access door :(

I am reading the replies put here for the first time today.

Here is why I think my pump is dead. And it only got less pressure from here. "KOEO Prime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPz679zUYA

macgiver

Is that you ? Are you JCorbi82 also ? Otherwise that video actually then is not showing your car . Now I suggested waaaay back you pm me (personal message - if you didn't know) , and I also , I believe I explained how NOTHING to do with gas , tank , f/pump is at the back seat , nor inside the car for that matter . I would be glad to help you get to the bottom of this , BUT especially since I can see I'm not getting through on these back & forth online posts , more important is that there are intricasies and explanations that best be verbal .
#1) The suggestion by me to put an inline fuel gauge is so easy AND a must in my opinion , and I'm also saying to hold off on attempting a fuel/filter change JUST YET ( a huge can of worms WILL open on you -best attempted after some preliminaries) .
Like simply turning to ON primes pump , 1st test in 'start' not any more "telling" in reality. I do see that video - BUT when right, it WILL prime full pressure in ON , then looking for sustained pressure upon starting AND RUNNING engine - BEST DONE WITH PRESSURE GAUGE brah ???

The trunk , the trunk , the trunk is location of gas tank BEHIND THE BLACK LINER :yesnod
In a nutshell , with inline fuel pressure gauge installed , AND a NEW fuel pump RELAY installed down at the driver's kick panel underneath TCM and other 'crap' - it's a brown relay , a kinda rare one -BUY F'n NEW !!

Now I've had a hard day with BMW's , landscaping(lawn :chuckle: ) and I'm enjoying my PBR.!

I leave you with " please pm me for anything further to you on this " .
Respect - and sincerely ,good luck :dblthumb:

J30ZX

macgiver wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:24 pm
Is that you ? Are you JCorbi82 also ? Otherwise that video actually then is not showing your car . Now I suggested waaaay back you pm me (personal message - if you didn't know) , and I also , I believe I explained how NOTHING to do with gas , tank , f/pump is at the back seat , nor inside the car for that matter . I would be glad to help you get to the bottom of this , BUT especially since I can see I'm not getting through on these back & forth online posts , more important is that there are intricasies and explanations that best be verbal .
#1) The suggestion by me to put an inline fuel gauge is so easy AND a must in my opinion , and I'm also saying to hold off on attempting a fuel/filter change JUST YET ( a huge can of worms WILL open on you -best attempted after some preliminaries) .
Like simply turning to ON primes pump , 1st test in 'start' not any more "telling" in reality. I do see that video - BUT when right, it WILL prime full pressure in ON , then looking for sustained pressure upon starting AND RUNNING engine - BEST DONE WITH PRESSURE GAUGE brah ???

The trunk , the trunk , the trunk is location of gas tank BEHIND THE BLACK LINER :yesnod
In a nutshell , with inline fuel pressure gauge installed , AND a NEW fuel pump RELAY installed down at the driver's kick panel underneath TCM and other 'crap' - it's a brown relay , a kinda rare one -BUY F'n NEW !!

Now I've had a hard day with BMW's , landscaping(lawn :chuckle: ) and I'm enjoying my PBR.!

I leave you with " please pm me for anything further to you on this " .
Respect - and sincerely ,good luck :dblthumb:
Yes... I will put the back seat back in the morning. I have gotten here very very late, but with the car going from "running well" to "running and stalling out" to now "not starting" I am happy I came back.

For whatever reason, the link to contact you is not working. I am attempting to learn the board.

I will re-read your posts... If it is possible, please PM me too?!!!!!

Thank you, also.. And yes, I checked the post after I "popped the backseat out" so I will take a little time tomorrow to pop it back in.

This will be the first car i've had with no Schrader valve on the fuel rail...

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

J30ZX wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm
For whatever reason, the link to contact you is not working. I am attempting to learn the board.

New members with less than 10 posts cannot send/receive a PM.

macgiver

Thank you Rogue , I try to make an effort there.

J30ZX

Thanks.

Okay... so. I mean, I wonder if there is a *small* chance that just taking up the sound deadening material will reveal the fuel pump under the backseat.

After reading macgiver's post I am not sure, maybe some time with a scraper around the wire just to be sure...

I did make this video, assessing the situation? Hope this helps.

Not trying to drive my main poster of interest that does appear to want to be helpful, MacGiver, away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OicyNl2E2o

J30ZX

The trunk , the trunk , the trunk is location of gas tank BEHIND THE BLACK LINER
Well, with information like that, I don't think I will waste any more time under the backseat, maybe just to secure it back, lol.

So I will take out all the trunk carpeting OR the spare tire??? Please excuse me, I'm honestly just OCD and want to treat this car with kid gloves.

J30ZX

The trunk , the trunk , the trunk is location of gas tank BEHIND THE BLACK LINER
Well, with information like that, I don't think I will waste any more time under the backseat, maybe just to secure it back, lol.

So I will take out all the trunk carpeting OR the spare tire??? Please excuse me, I'm honestly just OCD and want to treat this car with kid gloves.

J30ZX

Rogue One wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:36 pm
J30ZX wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm

New members with less than 10 posts cannot send/receive a PM.
Hi there.

I am having trouble downloading the FSM. It does state "Failed - Server Problem."

I will now go to my car, to see if I can figure out how to remove the rear trunk carpeting....

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”