Please show me a picture of your wiring!

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
burtandurny101

Hey i have an 1982 Datsun 720 kingcab STD 5 speed transmission.

I am sorting out some botched wiring by the old owner.......

My cig lighter has its wire cut and the plug it goes into is just dangling.
SO, Does anybody know where this plug goes too????
I KNOW it controls the cig lighter and i SUSPECT it has the tach wired too but i am not sure.
This truck has an aftermarket tach that, you guessed it, doesn't work and is not even pretending to be wired in; merely installed sorta half-assed.

I also have no function on the washer sprayer which would be nice to get working but I live in Oregon so the rain will keep it clean. I only mention this because MAYBE it is also involved on that plug.

To find the plug simply follow the brown wire from the cig lighter to the harness, it should connect to this mystery plug.

waynosworld

The tach has its own plug right near the instrument cluster, and if unused it is likely taped up to the main instrument harness just out of sight at the bottom.
The washer motor has two wires, one is the blue hot wire from the fuse block which goes to a lot of things, one is the wiper motor, so if that wire wasn't working properly, a lot of things would not work including the wipers, check the fuse for the wipers, the other wire is black with a white line, that one goes to the wiper switch on the column.
The cig lighter plug wires are brown which goes to the fuse block, black which goes to a lot of places, which none of them are to ground even though it is a ground wire, do not ground this wire, it will screw stuff up, and the last red/yellow line wire goes to the illumination light.
The grounds on the 720 harness are strange, you cannot add grounds to the system unless you know exactly what you are doing, basically what I am saying is if you put an aftermarket gauge like a tach into your truck and you connect the light wire to the dash light harness, none of them will likely work, I believe you can get power for an aftermarket gauge light from the red/yellow line wire in the headlight circuit, as that wire has a normal type ground, it is the wire that turns the park lights on, you have to use the correct red/yellow line wire though, there is more than one R/Y wire on the headlight switch.

Return to “Datsun 720”