PLEASE PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE MY PROBLEM q45

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Bigdipper

1997 q45While pulling up to my driveway i heard a high pitch squeaky noise coming from engine. I inspected all hoses and found that the power steering pump belt were in bad shape. I Then decided to replace the Pump and belt. Anyway after installing the pump i turned the car on but the noise was the there. I then decided to look at the other pulley and tensions. I came across the water pump belt. I slightly tighten Pulley and tension. Then turned the car back on and wall-la Squeaky noise is GONE, but now another problem, i notice the fan belt not moving, alternator not spinning, water pump belt not moving, in fact on my panel there is a battery signal.

PLEASE PLEASE ANY SUGGESTION ASAP.
Modified by Bigdipper at 4:48 PM 10/8/2009

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

A tensioner pulley or bearing has siezed. Loosen all the tensioner pulleys, remove and inspect the belts, and check and listen to each tensioner pulley bearing as you spin it by hand. I'm guessing that at least one of them is froze or grinding.

With the belts off you should be able to do the same to each of the component's pulleys- AC compressor, water pump, alternator...

Bigdipper

i'll try that. But dont forget the Alternator doesnt start either. Could a bad pulley hinder alternator from spinning? or is the alternator bad?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Something doesn't sound right. I would remove the belts and see what's not spinning. Typically, a pully failure won't cause things to stop spinning... the belt will just slip over it until it burns up. I have never heard of a seized alternator on a Q. Anyhow... check the idlers. They tend to fail more than other things...

Heath

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

don't forget the fgy33 has 4 fan belts. one of the 4 is just to drive the waterpump (it does have it's own tensioner), and the double wide water pump pulley has the belt that drives the alternator.

my guess is the crankshaft to w/p belt broke. careful, you will overheat very quickly like this.

Bigdipper

Big thanks to everyone that replied. Turns out it that the belt for the water pump along with pulley were bad. The pulley itself didn't even spin. The belt, well lets jus say it seeing better days.I replaced both and now no more squeaky noise.

I do however have one more issue. Prior to replacing the pulley, i replaced the power steering pump thinking that was the culprit. I did this because 2yrs ago infinity dealer told me the pump was bad. At the time there was power steering fluid leak. In the last few months the leak had gotten worse. To cut a long story short when i heard the squeaky noise i thought it was the pump. so i bought brand new pump replaced it . The problem now is after installing pump i still have the same problem. which is power steering fluid leak. I've looked under car , but im unable to find the the where the leak is coming from. ANy suggestion??

Do anyone have a diagram or picture that shows where all power steering hoses in the engine

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

Leaks are frequently a major ball buster due to their migratory and gravitational nature. Muhfugs!

I usually start by cleaning the engine bay while paying particular attention to the plumbing and bits associated with the leak. Then get a creeper and a good flashlight and commence to peekin. The good news is in plenty of cases, all that's required to stanch the flowage is a wrench to tighten the offending fitting.

While the diagrams in the FSM pretty much suck, they are better than nothing.

Download one and dive in. Or, add fluid and ignore.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

If your P/S leak is on the high pressure side - it may not be visible at idle. It will, however, spray like a shower head if you stress it by having someone else turn the steering wheel to the lock while you're looking.

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”