PLEASE HELP: UNDETECTABLE YET POTENTIALLY SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH ENGINE

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
bhs07c
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Hi guys,I have a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S 4dr w/ Manual Transmission (About 23,500 miles)Last Friday (July 31st), I was on my way to the gym on I-495 (Capital Beltway). I hit 5th gear at about 65/70ish mph when all of a sudden every single warning light popped up and the next thing I knew, my car had turned off and I was left without gas, power steering, and power braking. Fortunately, by some miracle, I was able to abruptly pull off and stop, about 1 inch away from a guardrail.The following Monday, I took my Altima to the Nissan dealership. After running several tests, including a high speed test drive on a toll road, they found nothing wrong. Obviously, the last answer I wanted to hear. I then asked if the advanced timing I had recently tuned had anything to do with it, considering if that is not done right can cause bad engine damage and problems. However, the mechanic (who was also the one who did it for me with the Consult III programmer) said -2 degrees is not a big enough tune to cause an engine to stall that way. Besides he added, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas Tuner on it's way, I figured I'd just retune everything then.So, now here I am, scared ****less to continue driving my car when I know something isn't right. Ever since that happened, my acceleration sucks and my brakes and steering have been stiffer. I need somebody to help me ASAP. It's obviously not something detectable w/o a "Check Engine Light" so any other ideas? Could the Advanced Timing be messing up my engien and if so, should I let the Bully Dog tuner fix everything or is there something else that is potentially wrong with my car.Please helpThanks

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

bhs07c wrote:Hi guys,I have a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S 4dr w/ Manual Transmission (About 23,500 miles)Last Friday (July 31st), I was on my way to the gym on I-495 (Capital Beltway). I hit 5th gear at about 65/70ish mph when all of a sudden every single warning light popped up and the next thing I knew, my car had turned off and I was left without gas, power steering, and power braking. Fortunately, by some miracle, I was able to abruptly pull off and stop, about 1 inch away from a guardrail.The following Monday, I took my Altima to the Nissan dealership. After running several tests, including a high speed test drive on a toll road, they found nothing wrong. Obviously, the last answer I wanted to hear. I then asked if the advanced timing I had recently tuned had anything to do with it, considering if that is not done right can cause bad engine damage and problems. However, the mechanic (who was also the one who did it for me with the Consult III programmer) said -2 degrees is not a big enough tune to cause an engine to stall that way. Besides he added, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas Tuner on it's way, I figured I'd just retune everything then.So, now here I am, scared ****less to continue driving my car when I know something isn't right. Ever since that happened, my acceleration sucks and my brakes and steering have been stiffer. I need somebody to help me ASAP. It's obviously not something detectable w/o a "Check Engine Light" so any other ideas? Could the Advanced Timing be messing up my engien and if so, should I let the Bully Dog tuner fix everything or is there something else that is potentially wrong with my car.Please helpThanks
As far as the engine is concerned, cant help ya, but the ps and the brakes being stiffer, is all in your imagination. When the car stalled, the belt wasnt turning the ps pump and that is why it got tough to steer. And the vaccum was cut off when the engine was also, so, the brakes would get stiffer. Those symptoms wouldnt continue after the car is running again.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Computers sometime get a hiccup and may need to be rebooted [turn ignition off and restart]. Not common but considering the number of comuters[ecu] in modern cars a likelyhood at least once or twice during the 4 year warranty period.

Anytime you tamper or redesign oem you increase the risk.

A degree in both electrical engineering and computer science will help you deal with future vehicles better,

Remember the finest dealer technican is woefully uneducated for the job he/she is expected to perform.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

bhs07c wrote:Besides he added, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas Tuner on it's way, I figured I'd just retune everything then.
Did a guy named P. T. Barnum (aka Steve Jobs) sell this to you?

Isn't the 2.5L a four cylinder engine? i.e. - not a VQ?

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”