PLEASE HELP!!! MY LAPTOP SHUTS ITSELF OFF!!!

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
EvillE423

I have an Asus N80Vn noebook and have been having some problems lately from it. The machine boots up and works perfectly as long as I do not move the LCD screen. When I do move it, I get the USB connect/disconnect sounds that you get when you plug in a USB device. And most of the time after this sound the computer will shut itself off. To get it to come back on I have to unplug it and take the battery out. What is going on here? Is something shorting out? I would hate to short something out and ruin a perfectly good computer. If anyone has any idea of what's going on and/or how I can fix it, please, let me know! Thanks!!!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Is the computer shutting off, or just the screen? The reason I ask is the screen alone dying would explain the need to remove the power source before restarting. It would also fit with the "usb noise" as the monitor would be considered a plug-and-play device and trigger the sound when detected or removed.

Do you have an external monitor you can connect to it? If so, hook up the external monitor and tell windows to mirror your desktop on that monitor. Then see if the problem persists. If it does, try disabling the built-in screen and using only the external monitor and see if it STILL persists. One of your function keys will allow you to switch between the external and built-in monitor. Or you can go through your Nvidia control panel to access various multi-monitor settings to switch monitors or set the external to mirror.

It sounds like you have a pinched ribbon cable. If the laptop is still under warranty, I'd send it in. Otherwise, crack it open and see what you can see.

EvillE423

Thanks for the reply MoD. It's the whole computer that turns off. Hard drive, everything. I'm not sure if it's still under warranty or not, but I will def. call Asus and find out. I've had it a year in March. The computer has HDMI so I will hook it up to my TV and disable the LCD screen and see what I come up with. Thanks again!

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Does it overheat?

Check the temperature of the hottest part of the laptop.

Clean all exhaust fan(s) and cooling fins/ports.

The Siath
Car: 99 Nissan Maxima, Arctic Pearl White, VQ30de, 5MT.

Most likely your disconnecting your monitor (bad strap cord to monitor) - and the Acer notices this as 'closing the cover' and goes into auto shutdown.

The fix is more expensive than a new one (FYI)...

Return to “Computers / Electronics”