Please Help Me Find My Water Leak

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
cutlassvillager
Car: '07 G35x
'98 BMW 328is

I know there have been quite a few "water leak" threads and I have read some of them, but I think I may have discovered a couple things that might hopefully narrow down the source.

I noticed it for the first time tonight. It wasn't really raining anymore and while slowing down at the first few stops I heard the sound of water. A lot of water was beading up on the paint (freshly waxed) and traveled down the windshield, etc, so I first thought the sound was just from that. I noticed my windows fogged up a little bit at this point.

When I got to my final destination about 5 minutes later I noticed a little bit of water on my front passenger floor mat. I took down the tray that's under the glove box and it had water pooled on it. The large wire harness that's closest to the far right passenger side of the car under the dash was wet. Basically it seems like the source of the water is more from somewhere directly above the passenger foot well (as opposed to soaking thru the carpet from the bottom up).

The carpet was also a little wet, however it seems it's just the top of the carpet. Pulling up some of the carpet everything underneath (like the styrofoam, tracks, padding, etc) seemed bone dry.

Anyone with experiencing tracking down water leaks have any idea as to what the source might be? I'm guessing the details above might rule out a clogged sunroof drain? I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure if this is the original windshield.

rhaynes223
Car: 08 G35x

I have the same issue, my dealer told me to check for debris in my moon roof. if the drain is clogged or blocked it may be a cause. if you don't have a moon/sun roof check for debris under the hood. i cleared out mine and i haven't had an issue since. just my personal experience. good luck!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yes, it could be from either blocked sunroof drains or from a clogged air conditioning evaporator housing which also has a drain.

Make sure you pull the carpet up and dry/disinfect beneath it so the carpet does not mold and stink.

Brandon3113
Car: 2010 infiniti g37

I had the same problem I cleared all the lines from the moonroof still leaked. There is a white plastic peice behind the dash that the drain tube connects to on the firewall.I took off the passenger side windshield post is very hard to get to ended up getting a small plastic hose and taping it to the end of a tube of silicone and going through the air vent the only other way is to take the entire dash out. Hasn't leaked since

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”