Pleae Help Me decide :)

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
DJames

Hi guys im getting a G35 and i wanted to know if i should get a stick or automatic im going to drive this car for at least 6 years or so ...so i wanted your guy opion on this please respond :)

tktrthomas1

manual all the way... its really depends though... what do you prefer? sometimes i prefer auto over manual... because of traffic ans whatnot... but if it was my decision i would get a manual... manual is just more fun to drive ... for auto you just step on the gas.....

DJames

thats tru but then wat would i want if you had to drive thje car for couple of years i mean .. doesnt manual get tireing after awhile ?? also if u go on long trips aint that a hassle to drive stick to but i want stick to because its fun to drive but im thinking about the long run and the lon drives :)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Funny thing is.many who have an auto rave about a manual and some who have a manual wish for a auto especially if older driver.

In my personal experience manual tranny shifting becomes second nature after a while you barely notice you are still doing it.Also it does give better control of the car and results in better performance and they are also easier(=cheaper) to repair if ever need be.The 6 speed manual on this car is very well desigend by all accounts as well as mechanically very beefy with a lot of strength built -in

On the other hand if you drive mostly in city traffic the 5 speed auto tranny is as good as auto tranny's get.<and> the auto tranny in the G35 is the excat same one used in the much heavier Q45 with its 340hpV8, so you know that tranny will be extremly strong and durable in a G35.

If I was you I would spend a lot of time test driving both.Be suure you spend enough time drivign teh manual so u are comfortable with it to more accurately envisioon the driving feel you will have with it once you own the car.I would pick the manual, but in an enthusiast driven board like this one that will be more common, and teh g354 sutotranny certainly is a very good+strong tranny.

Fred...:)

tktrthomas1

yeah actually you are right... in the long run, automatics are just less of a hassle, manuals are just a hassle driving in traffic and on anything hilly... when i get a IS300 which should be around next year or two so i'll probably get an auto. it shouldnt be that bad... plus when you have a automatic you can eat at the same time...=)

drifter
Car: Drifting, cars, etc.

Go for the automatic one with the Tiptronic shifter! Best of both worlds! You can either do auto or shift it down to the right and manually shift the car via the Tiptronic shifter...my friend has a G35 with that thing in it. It's great! :)

Just my $0.02 though...:)

PalmerWMD

tktrthomas1 wrote:traffic and on anything hilly... when i get a IS300 ..

An IS300?:eek:

Going to the dark side?When for the same money you can have a more substantial + faster G35?

Fred..:confused:

PalmerWMD

drifter wrote:Go for the automatic one with the Tiptronic shifter! Best of both worlds! You can either do auto or shift it down to the right and manually shift the car via the Tiptronic shifter...my friend has a G35 with that thing in it. It's great! :)

yes the G35 auto tranny <does> have that nice feature.Pretty close to the feel of a manual when you want it.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

palmerwmd wrote:An IS300?:eek:

Going to the dark side?When for the same money you can have a more substantial + faster G35?

Fred..:confused:
:withstup

PalmerWMD

nizmo:

Maybe I should :abducttoo your post...

Fred...;)

DJames

so i should go with automatic ....seems like more ppl would go with the automatic hmm... such a hard desicion cause i want stick cause im young and wanna just try it out but automatic i can eat and drive lol ....so i dont know i just have to make a carful decision .... hmm i didnt know you can test drive the g35 ..... is it hard to drive the g35 stick ?? what do you gys think about the company 18 " ??

DJames

oh yeah hows the power os the bose stereo sustem ?? cause i love to listen to music so im gonna be bumpping mah music :)

nlzmo400r

palmerwmd wrote:nizmo:

Maybe I should :abducttoo your post...

Fred...;)
haha, u should take that as a compliment, i agreed with u, but yes master, no more disrespects, o wise one

PalmerWMD

DJames wrote:so i should go with automatic ....seems like more ppl would go with the automatic hmm... such a hard desicion cause i want stick cause im young and wanna just try it out but automatic i can eat and drive lol ....so i dont know i just have to make a carful decision .... hmm i didnt know you can test drive the g35 ..... is it hard to drive the g35 stick ?? what do you gys think about the company 18 " ??

Actually I would go with the manual just for the Purity of it.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Manual...definitiely. I've always owned manuals, and the only time I've ever wished for an auto was sitting through chicago traffic at 3am during a huge wreck, in the middle of an 18 hour road trip. Other than that one time, I've never thought twice about owning a manual.

DJames

so wat do you guys think about the infinit 18" and there stereo .???

PalmerWMD

The stock stereo is plenty good.(tho I am no audiophile)I wouldnt go tp 18's.Much harder to balance, add weight thats both unsprung and rotating=detrimental to performance, braking maybe even handling.

nlzmo400r

werd, a nice stereo is nice, but i wouldnt put more than maybe 2 1os in teh back of my car, just because of weight and such

DJames

how come you woudnt go with the tire package ??

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I have the automatic, but usually use the tiptronic just for the fun of it. It is nice to be able to sit in rush hour traffic on the interstate or the city and have the auto, but then when going anywhere else, the titptronic is a blast, except for the fact you don't have a clutch. Also, the stereo is pretty good for a stock system.

nlzmo400r

rydwhite wrote:I have the automatic, but usually use the tiptronic just for the fun of it. It is nice to be able to sit in rush hour traffic on the interstate or the city and have the auto, but then when going anywhere else, the titptronic is a blast, except for the fact you don't have a clutch. Also, the stereo is pretty good for a stock system.
i think all nissans/infiniti's have nice stock stereo, i havent actually heard the sentras, but i have a base altima and that stereo is very nice for stock, thats why i decided to keep it, and my stepfather has the bose system in his o2 maxima, and it too sounds great

Bluestreak
Car: Cars, fatherhood, baseball, music

I recommend the 6 speed stick. I have the blue six-speed coupe (6M/T) with the 18" wheels and Brembos. The throws on this stick are the shortest I've ever experienced (shorter than BMW's), and that makes response instantaneous. You can rev up over 5000 rpm and row though them really fast- it's quite a rush. I drive in New York traffic, and having the stick is no big deal, as the clutch is smooth and easy. I'm sure the automatic is good for what it is, but this is car really performs like a sport coupe, and you're leaving something on the table if you don't get the stick.

The upgraded Bose system is good- though it could use more bass capacity for the CD.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I really liked the stick, when I test drove. Its quick with very short throws. I chose the auto, mainly because I was sick of a stick. I had been driving one for the past 7 years. I do kind of miss it though. The auto is nice because it has the tiptronic which still allows me to shift if I feel like it, even though it doesn't have a clutch. I don't think that there is a wrong choice here. If you love a stick, get the stick. Test drive both and see which you like the best. I think that the auto and the manual both are probably best in their class.

jdmstyl
Car: cars and women

I got the manual and i love it

nlzmo400r

your car is so hot, everytime i see one i think 'yea, those defintely look better than the 35oz,' and then i see a 35o and i change my mind, i guess after all it doesnt matter, since i cant afford either one!

GMachine
Car: cars, camping, sports

I just got a 2003.5 G35 sedan with Aero pkg and 5AT and I chose the 5AT cause the wife drives the machine also and I'm keeping it ( and hopefully my wife) for at least 4 years! I drove both the 6MT and the 5AT versions of the sedan and found that the stick was fun but the 5AT in manumatic mode was at least 9/10ths as quick and fun as the stick. I've raced 240Zs and Camaros with sticks and have had a Corvette, Jeep, 626s, and 2 Hondas with sticks too and I'd say from a seat of the pants feel, - you'd have to be really good with a stick to keep up with the shifts of the manumatic 5AT. However you do lose some thrust with the auto do to the auto tranny slip and the weight of the tranny.Guess you have to decide just how often you want to run at 9/10's!By the way, after the warranty is off, I have been told that there are some interesting auto trans stage two and three shift kits available to sharpen up the shifts etc, - so that's always an option!

nlzmo400r

true, i never really thought about that, thats a good thing to keep in mind guys, because you almost can't beat the consistancy of an auto, it may not give you FAST shifts, but they're fairly qiuck and still smooth

GMachine
Car: cars, camping, sports

I think that you should definetly go for the stage three shift kit, it would add so much. But then again thats just what i think. But i have raced many different shift carts and what not in my life and there is nothing better than a beatiful shifting vehicle.

nlzmo400r

sure isnt, a nice quick car with a smooth, short , clean shift does feel amazing, even when you're going slow

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

There is a G35 in town identical to yours jdmstyl. Has the spoiler though. Its so amazing.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”