Playing Music from Flash Drive via USB Port

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Bob P
Car: 2012 Rogue SL

Just traded in my '09 Rogue SL for a '12 SL. IPod connection through USB port in my "type B" radio works great but when I try to play music files from a flash drive, I get nowhere. Will get a screen message that a USB device has been detected but it just stays in the AUX mode and no music files are displayed. Tried two flash drives and did everything the manual said and still no luck. Am I missing something here? Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

Honva
Car: 2012 Rogue SL AWD

Bob P wrote:Just traded in my '09 Rogue SL for a '12 SL. IPod connection through USB port in my "type B" radio works great but when I try to play music files from a flash drive, I get nowhere. Will get a screen message that a USB device has been detected but it just stays in the AUX mode and no music files are displayed. Tried two flash drives and did everything the manual said and still no luck. Am I missing something here? Anyone else have this problem and solved it?
Hi Bob,
I did exactly the same 2 weeks ago. Trading in my 09 SL for a 12 SL. How do you like your new SL?

Have you tried to press the "AUX" button a second time? The "AUX" button will toggle between the USB and auxillary input plug every time you press it. Another possible cause could be the file format. According to the manual, the head unit only support mp3 and wma. Any chance you were using aac or m4a for your files on the flash drive?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Sounds like a similar problem I had. Turned out the Head Unit was defective, and I got a free replacement as it was under warranty. Take it to your local dealership and have them check it, they shouldn't charge anything to do this.

Bob P

Honva,
The whole format thing is kind of confusing. My flash drive files are M4a, MPEG-4 ( as you indicated, they don't appear to be supported by this type B radio). The flash drive files were copied from my iTunes files which are AAC. The iPod files were synched from my iTunes - the iPod works fine. Need to figure out how to get supported formats on my flash drives.

By the way, so far I'm happy with the new SL - my '09 was fine but when I saw a new one in Black Amethyst, just had to have one!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

My bad, i misread your post and failed to notice that your iPod works fine (I'm not an apple Fanboy so that got by me, LOL). Anyway, if you're looking to convert M4a files to mp3 you can do this under iTunes http://osxdaily.com/2009/12/03/convert-m4a-to-mp3/

Bob P

Thanks Rogue One - I'll be trying this as soon as I get the chance.

mrityunjay82
Car: Nissan rogue

make sure to format ur UBS pen drive with FAT partition only. NTFS formatted Pen drive not detected by NIssan UBS player.

ristau5741

Has anyone been able to get a work around for the FAT partition only? I've got a 4GB FAT formatted USB drive that works fine, but been getting a lot of high quality MP3 recently, and 4GB fills up quick. I've tried FAT32 and EXTFat to no avail, I can regen the .mp3 files to lower quality, but would rather not.

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

You can format a bigger USB flash drive to FAT partion. I have a 128GB. It works fine.

Good Luck

plainsman
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Great thread! I have a 2015 Rouge and can't figure out what the USB drive is good for other than charging. I have music on my phone (mp3s) which I play via Bluetooth, but would love to use a USB to store and play music. Is that possible with the 2015 Rouge SL?

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

plainsman wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 pm
Great thread! I have a 2015 Rouge and can't figure out what the USB drive is good for other than charging. I have music on my phone (mp3s) which I play via Bluetooth, but would love to use a USB to store and play music. Is that possible with the 2015 Rouge SL?
I have the 16 Rogue SL, and yes it does play USB. But it has a long loading time if you have like 1000+ songs.

DTASFAB

2013 Rogue SV with nav plays great from USB port with reasonably short loading time (10-20 seconds, depending on ambient temperature - colder takes longer) and well over 1000 songs. It plays mp3 and wma files equally well. Everything should be sorted neatly by folder, so it helps to have a windows PC to make sure it's all clean. I can also access my entire iPhone music library via USB, but the sorting method on the head unit is a lot more difficult than with the USB stick, and this also means the phone is going to be constantly charging while connected via USB, which isn't always good for the phone. I just leave the USB stick in the slot and never connect the phone except to make phone calls. Since I can't stream audio via bluetooth except for the phone app and waze, the audio from my iPhone library (as well as most podcast/streaming apps) is basically inaccessible to me in the car. Does not bother me one bit, because I have the USB stick and I continually renew siriusxm for $30/6 months.

ristau5741

outtolearn88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 am
You can format a bigger USB flash drive to FAT partion. I have a 128GB. It works fine.

Good Luck
not a topic for here, but now I just gotta figure out how to get my USB stick recognized by Linux, because Windows wont format, says its too big.
Spent most of last weekend trying different things.

biggerfrank

I tested this with various formats and brands. You should use a quality brand like Kingston, SANdisk or PNY. The difference is in the hardware or chipset of the drive. I tested with my 4GB PNY successfully and had inconsistent success with my cheap 16GB EMTec thumb drive. Go with a quality brand format to FAT32 if necessary and keep the file directory pretty neat. AKA keep the music in the root in seperate folders by artist or by album name. I did notice that I sometimes the radio would only recognize what was in it's cache sometimes. I then had to disconnect and re-insert the thumb drive to get it to recognize newly added songs. FYI.

Return to “Rogue Forum”