Planning on Putting new wheels/rims on an Infiniti M, but...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

I was planning on putting 20" wheels (as a good comprimise between the 18 and 22)The wheels I think I like are as follows from Foose Design;http://www.mhtwheels.com/wheel.cfm?brand=4&cat=249

I had some questions about offset etc, that I thought were answered here once, but cant find the post right now for some reason, also another thread comes to mind that discussed load ratings of the tires, but cant dig that up right now either;

I was wondering if any recalled the specifics of what the off set had to be (without doing a wheel alignment, Id like to use the 18 stock for the winter)

I picked out a set of tire a kinda like, the goodyear Eagle, but it doesnt have the size I need in run flat, and I didnt liek the tread style, plus the load factor (service code) is one under the current tire spec;

any help would be welcome;

The Tires are that fit these rims (assuming the offset works)20x8.5 Foose DF-5Tire 245/35/20Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3Service Description os 95YOD = 26.8Max Load 1521

I think the Cars standard Tire is a 96Y, which is something like 1575 pounds

Any issues using a spec lower? and does anyone know where I can get a 20" good tire with Run Flat?

tk

Modified by tkeskic at 7:15 PM 7/21/2006

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

tkeskic wrote:I was planning on putting 20" wheels (as a good comprimise between the 18 and 22)The wheels I think I like are as follows from Foose Design;http://www.mhtwheels.com/wheel.cfm?brand=4&cat=249

I had some questions about offset etc, that I thought were answered here once, but cant find the post right now for some reason, also another thread comes to mind that discussed load ratings of the tires, but cant dig that up right now either;

I was wondering if any recalled the specifics of what the off set had to be (without doing a wheel alignment, Id like to use the 18 stock for the winter)

I picked out a set of tire a kinda like, the goodyear Eagle, but it doesnt have the size I need in run flat, and I didnt liek the tread style, plus the load factor (service code) is one under the current tire spec;

any help would be welcome;

The Tires are hat fit these rims (assuming the offset works)20x8.5 Foose DF-5Tire 245/35/20Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3Service Description os 95YOD = 26.8Max Load 1521

I think the Cars standard Tire is a 96Y, which is something like 1575 pounds

Any issues using a spec lower? and does anyone know where I can get a 20" good tire with Run Flat?

tk
The required wheel specs are in here:

zerothread/125907

In regard to tire load indexes, just make sure that it is 95 or higher load index - if you have 18" wheels (not Sport model, right?) then your current tire is probably the Goodyear RS-A in a 96Y. Yes, this gives you a bit more load index, but the Sport uses a 19" tire in a 94 rating, so 95 will also work, IMHO!

Regardless, pick higher load index values if available, particularly if the manufacturer is not Michelin - those guys are more conservative than other manufacturers.

If you want, you can compensate a bit for a 95 tire by increasing the pressure by 3 to 4 psi. That increases the load carrying capacity. I may be wrong (so please post the correct value here), but your manual calls for 33psi right? If so, then running at 36 or 37psi will compensate for the 95 instead of a 96 if you want it!

Of course, the speed index needs to be V or higher - typical V, Y or Z ought to be fine - these give you much better internal construction!

One of the concerns I have about 20 and 22 inch wheels is that the selection of wheel/tire widths and tires that fit properly (without stretch ... unsafe at high speeds) gets more limited and the cost goes up.

On my 2003 M45, I use the stock rim and just spend the money on excellent tires - to me, looks are secondary to performance. I like the Goodyear tire too ... a few weeks ago, I received another set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in a 245/45-18 size, with a load index of 100W - need to get them mounted! be aware that these tires will only give you about 17k to 20k miles of usable wear (down to about 3/32") ... that is my experience with them on two different cars.

Finally, I would say that getting Run Flat tires is actually not as critical as you might think. The extra weight of the internal construction actually decreases performance (more rotating weight at the wheels) and increases cost. You may also find the ride much harsher because of the stiffer side-wall. Since the ride harshness of a 20" or 22" tire will be higher than an 18" to begin with, you may find it intolerable and the run-flat will make this worse!

Z

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

Thanks for the info;I'm still torn about the style etc; and its late in the year (which in my part means winters tires are going on soon anyways)

I'm still looking at tires, and I think I'm going to (for the first time ever) not buy goodyear... I really dont like what tey have as options in the 20"

None the less thanks fo the info, I'll let you know when I make the change what it ends up being;

right now; I'm having to decide between an MB ML330 CDI or a Landrover for my wifes car, so I'm spending way too much time on that, as I need it before winter... Tires will have to wait a few more weeks now;

tk

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”