PL 521 really strange Ignition Coil Problem

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
sirsedrith
Car: PL 521 Datsun, sky blue, 72k miles.

Hey dudes.

Quick question, if you please. ive called mechanics, friends, dads, friends dads, uncles, neibhors, etc. Im at a total loss. OK,

There is no spark at the spark plug when i pull the plug, ground it to the valve cover and turn over the engine. when i pull the spark plug away from the cover, I believe i Max out the Coil, forcing it to work harder, and then i get a spark from the plug to cover. Replacing the plug, i can do the same thing at the distributor, pull the coil wire from the cap, create a gap, and the engine runs pretty well. the timing may be off a bit, carb not totally dialed in etc, but itll run rather well.

the points are adjusted.
the spark wires are new,
the plugs are relatively new,
cap and rotor are new,
points are new.
The Coil is NEW as well, which is what people are telling me was the problem, but now there is a new coil.

so............. There we are. I need to get back to work and that truck is my ticket.

Any Ideas?

Peace.

Dats710
Car: Datsun 710

I'm not trying to promote another forum. .. . .. but try asking this question on Ratsun.net

sirsedrith

Thanks. Ive posted this on multiple sites and im sure your members are members there too. So, I think the issue is resolved! Thanks again.

Peace

Charlie69
Car: 1966 Datsun 520

Either condensers or coil. are you nning a ballast resistor?

Ballst resistor

Ballst resistor system

I would replace the coil with a known good one from another vehicle. If it si a coil that does not require a ballast resistor just by pass the balst resistor.

When condenser fail the engine will usually start but will not stay running.

sirsedrith

Ok, since the last post the coil and condencers and spark wires have all been replaced, I finally found a mechanic not terrified or lying about his knowladge of carbs and got it timed there and he then said my acl pump on the carb isn't working (weber 32/36). He put his hand over the first barrel and pulled the accelerator linkage and it didnt lag (act fuel starved) like it does if you leave it open and pull the accelerator linkage. When you pull on the linkage it seems like it doesnt pump right away, itll start to squirt 3/4s of the pull inward so the butterfly valve opens but not enough gas comes with it. So I ordered a complete kit (5 more bucks for all the gaskets? why not?) and am waiting for that and the book on carbs written by a dude who has worked on them for like 20 years in brittian. the resistor works as it steps the 12 to 9 volts and checked this with a meter.

When I change the acl pump diaphragm I'll post the result.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”