Pistons @ TDC go out of the block, HG was hit, valve marks

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Lopin18
Car: 240sx Hatch 89 KA24E

Well i bought an SOHC KA24e engine that was knocking on the bottom, one bearing is totally gone. Its completely stock it seems. Tore it down...

But i noticed some weird things:

Block has 4 numbers aside the cylinders, 3,2,2,2 (Cyl 1,2,3,4) what do those mean?

Also at TDC the pistos come out of the block a lil bit (Cyls 1,4) and all 4 cyls )have marks on them (Valves it seems)

Weirdest thing is the piston on Cyl #3 (bearing gone) has been eaten up in one side, like it was hammering something and i also noticed the headgasket on that Cyl same side as the piston damage was totally pulled up, like the piston was hitting it.

So im confused, why do the pistons go out of the block (a bit same height as the Headgaslet) was the block repaired and decked too much??? how do i check that?[/i]

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

sounds like the valves hit the pistons, the timing guide probably broke and the timing slipped. the pistons are supposed to pop up out of the cyl a little bit. its possible that the engine has a different head on it and thats why it has the marks in the pistons and a bad bearing. also dont pay attention to the numbers on top of the pistons. often they arent for the cyl numbers. but if they are over bored, they will say it usually.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”