piston rings

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
berserk
Car: 02 Nissan sentra spec v

Hey i found out that my 4th cylinder has bad piston rings. i was wondering about how much do u think that will run me. and should i get it fixed or look for a new motor that was used and may be cheaper.??

Mr.Sandman
Car: 1993 240sx coupe

berserk wrote:Hey i found out that my 4th cylinder has bad piston rings. i was wondering about how much do u think that will run me. and should i get it fixed or look for a new motor that was used and may be cheaper.??
First of all, most motors have one ring per cylinder. Not sure what you have, though it would be a ***** to fix. Motors can still run with blown or bad piston rings. Just your oil compression would be crappy, and your motor would burn oil for sure. How do you know, you have a bad ring/rings?

outcastcat
Car: none

depending on what you have, probably a new motor.

Rebuilds cost a lot of money, even if you do it yourself caue you still have to get it bored, new pistons, and it does take some talent.

SR20DE used JDM engines are 450-550 from what I hear.

Ive always heard they had more than one ring.

Mr.Sandman

outcastcat wrote:depending on what you have, probably a new motor.

Rebuilds cost a lot of money, even if you do it yourself caue you still have to get it bored, new pistons, and it does take some talent.

SR20DE used JDM engines are 450-550 from what I hear.

Ive always heard they had more than one ring.
price is probably true for that motor, but at a displacement of 2.0 liters, better off with ka24de motor instead. In-Country motor, probably just as cheap and way easier to find. Since this is one of the motors that nissans puts in Sentra, altima's, 240sx, and small nissan trucks. 'Whatever they're called"

Do this, blow your motor. Find out how, why and when it happens. then pm me for a motor swap.

berserk
Car: 02 Nissan sentra spec v

Mr.Sandman wrote:
First of all, most motors have one ring per cylinder. Not sure what you have, though it would be a ***** to fix. Motors can still run with blown or bad piston rings. Just your oil compression would be crappy, and your motor would burn oil for sure. How do you know, you have a bad ring/rings?
i got the 2.5L 4cylinder and we did a compression test yesterday on the car and 1-3 cylinder was reading 185-190 and the 4th was reading 150 then we added alittle oil in the port and it pushed it up to 190 there for its burning oil through the ring. what motor would would yall suggest to someone who is only 20 and has a kid with a piss poor job that dont make alot for a 3600lb front wheel drive car?

Mr.Sandman

you should get a kia. thats all you need, remember kids are exspensive now a days.

dft24ds
Car: 95 nissan 240sx

First off bro I think you should tell everyone what you did! He has an 02 sentra spec v. One day after we had a **** load of rain he ran through a puddle (or should I say lake?) sucking up water into his motor through his cold air intake. The car died and we pushed it into the shop. After pulling the plugs and turning the motor over water shot about 25ft into the air hitting the top of the shop. He changed his oil and luckly got it running again. This was what?...3mo. ago?The car has lost some of its pepfrom what it had before. So I said hell lets do a comp. test and see what you get. So from there we assumed the ring on that cyl. was bad. I think what he is trying to ask is if you would leave it as it is and run it till it dies, then rebuild. Or would you runs it till it dies then swap it? If you do swap the motor what motor would you suggest?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

You're lucky if you just busted a ring from flooding it, you should have bent your rods.

Replace it with another stock motor (or just have the ring replaced, they probably won't be much different, cost-wise), there's no way you'll want to delve into dropping anything else in there.

If you're feeling stubborn, put some ring conditioner and crap like that in your oil and see if it does anything, but I doubt it will.

By the way, the Spec doesn't weigh 3600lb, try 2800.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”