piston pin knock???

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
1fast200
Car: too many to list

Hi,

I just rebuilded my engine and now I get a knocking sound from somewhere in the block at about 2000rpms.while holding the engine at that rpm, I retarded the ignition fully and the knock disapeared!!! Then I pulled off a coil (one at the time) and noticed that cyl # 1 knocks as soon as it gets ignition. So for me it must be piston pin? But before the rebuild the engine was fine, it only burned oil!

Does this have to do with the detonation sensor??

Please help

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

I don't think that would be a wristpin, and just a "knock" sound is kinda vague. Might be a misfire, might be a rod journal out of spec and it's tearing up the bearing..... I really couldn't tell you without more info.

But I do know when I blew up my 2nd CA (it was bad when I got it) it was the number one cylinder that went. Might try a compression test and see what you come up with.

PaulOrlando, Fl

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

could it be a mild rod knock? Maybe the lack of combustion or strong combustion keeps it quiet but as soon as you get a good quality power stroke it knocks. #1 rod bearing on mine was tore up on the leading edge and oiling was in pretty good shape, you say yours was burning oil, maybe rod knock.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”