PISSED OFF about "RIMS", wheels, blades, whatever

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
trpower7

Here's what I don't get. It seems like the first thing on everyone's mind around is your "rims". Even here it is kind of an insult to say you have "hubcaps". I thought we were about performance here! A good set of "rims" with rubber runs you over a grand, always, the really nice one will run you closer to two Gs. Why the HELL would you spend so much on something that is almost purely cosmetic? Not to mention that you will go through rubber like it's going out of style. I LOVE my steel wheels and hubcaps, they look fine, and do their job. I would also like a set of STOCK alloys, but I'm sure not going to go out and spend $1500-$2000 so I can be "rollin on some 18's" or whatever. I'd rather say someone "I'm rollin on steel wheels and hubcaps and (insert turbo mod of your choice). Why the **** is everyone so into wheels?????????????????????????

I H8 UR DSM

Wheels are one of the best performance enhancements you can do to your car....of course some people buy them for cosmetic reasons, but thats not the point of wheels...how many touring, race, professional, anything cars, do you see with hubcaps? It is in some ways a prestige thing, but there is definitly a performance factor. then after the fact of knowing you need rims, there is a style factor, but that is not the driving force behind the need for wheels. larger wheels, lighter, with a good thin tire do out perform steelies w/ stock tires, by many many times over.

i see your point, but it is invalid.

trpower7

I fully understand the handling improvements of better wheels, but you think if that was why people wanted them they would just mass produce large, wide thin sidewall tire oriented wheels. I think it is almost a totally prestige thing, I highly doubt someone with 18' super nice Advans would have a $2500 edge over me. For that $2500 there are litterally hundreds of other mods that would be far better recieved on your car. I bet with $2500 I can put a suspension on a car that will make it outhandle ANY stock car with some "fly 18's" or whatever, and then have enough left over to make it destroy it in a straight line. I think it is 95% cosmetic for everyone I ever see with anything but stock wheels, god bless all of us who still have our hubcaps.

PS: I'm also a big advocate of the fact that if you don't have at least 50 more DYNO PROVEN horsepower than your car put out at the factory you have no rights to a body kit of any sort. And the exception to my rims complaint is when you actually have a really built up suspension and they are the last key to it, in that case go for it, but if the first thing you think when you pick up a car is "What kind of rims am I gonna put on it" someone needs to kick you in the shins

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

I don't think it is good to put more into your wheels than you do your performance parts. Some ppl spend way too much money on wheels. I got ones that look good, lighter, and better traction; that's all you need. But I do think wheels are the first thing you see on a car and it helps to make a first impression---unless you have a 747 wing, then that's what everyone will see.

trpower7

I think the most noticeable thing should be the back end of your car as you blaze away from teh competition with your $2500 performance mods instead of $2500 rims.

biggie

Well, truely to do everything right you should modify everything possible. Wheel/tires are included in that. I've got a lot of money in my car but engine performance isn't on the top of the list yet. Suspension is where most of my money has gone. But EVERYTHING will be done soon enough.

Daunttless

I think that wheels are an important step, not the first step, but important. I don't know anything about wheels and tires and stuff, but I do know that some nice, lightweight, wide wheels will do me good for translating that 500 horsepower to traction. : ) I dunno, I don't understand huge 20 inch chrome rims, but to each his own I guess, when they slap them on there I'll just laugh. : )

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

your tires is where it's all at. my tires costs more than my wheels. but i think my wheels look damn good too. I H8 your dsm is completely right. you're right that wheels are made to look good, no one is going to purchase the ugly ones. (example the teddy bear ones) if you got the money, why not?

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

Daunttless wrote:I think that wheels are an important step, not the first step, but important. I don't know anything about wheels and tires and stuff, but I do know that some nice, lightweight, wide wheels will do me good for translating that 500 horsepower to traction. : ) I dunno, I don't understand huge 20 inch chrome rims, but to each his own I guess, when they slap them on there I'll just laugh. : )
no doubt. the 20 in bling blinging wheels all chrome and don't stop when the car stops is just ridiculous. or as trpower7 says 'purely cosmetic'. you should see the 22's on this guys expedition in my parking lot. it isn't my style, but i'll park next to him anyday to prevent dings.

Daunttless

Good call. : ) And yeah, not performance oriented all is a waste, toooo much rotating inertia.

trpower7

I guess this is kind of a backlash against all the idiots who roll up next to me with a POS Honda and start talking **** because I don't have any "rims" or whatever. My beef is with wheels being the #1 item you start looking for when you buy a car, and you think your wheels define how good your car is. There are TONS of cars around here with wheels like I wouldn't believe and ZERO performance mods, or suspension mods. If you have suspension stuff like biggie more power to ya, go get you some wheels. But until then, keep the focus where it is supposed to be.

chrispy
Car: Rowing, wakeboarding ,being outdoors, nissans

steelies all the way

biggie

chrispy wrote:steelies all the way
For the track/autocross yes. But I prefer to look good as well as go fast on the street.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

bigger rims can be good if:

1) they don't weigh much more than stock wheels

2) they're as strong as stock wheels

3) you have the resources to buy GOOD performance tires and not just the cheapest thing that will fit

but most "rims".....

1) weigh too much and have a negative impact on speed and braking

2) bend too easily and then affect ride quality

3) scratch easily on curbs

4) ride too rough

if all people care about it looks, then none of the above matters

but if you care about performance, first get the best tires you can on your stock rims, and if that's not satisfying, then get better rims and prepare to spend a lot

wizzfish

i've got friends who've bought rims for their car and dropped it slightly, and that's it.

now..is this a waste of money?

no, here's why.

they are not into performance...they couldnt care less about getting 20 more HP or whatever...YES, it IS purely cosmetic.. and that's what they're looking for...they dont claim to race or be fast or anything.

if cosmetic enhancements are done to a car with the purpose of....solely enhancing it because thats the purpose of the car, fine, just dont let the driver have the mindset of a typical all show and no go ricer.

sorry for the mini rant, just my two cents.

MikeS14240sx

If you ask me aftermarket wheels should be for preformance a upgrade. Wheels are one of those upgrades you spend a lot of money on but don't see an hp increase its just one of those finally tuning upgrades to get the most out of your car. If you get the right wheel thats lighter, wider, and bigger all your other mods will work just that much better. What does it matter if you have 300 hp but only have 195/65R15's you will never be able to but down the power with the small contact patch. Reducing the amount of unsprung weight will increase accselaration as well.

Wheels can be functional to compliment your other mods not just for looks.

Daunttless

I really don't care if people put up the all show no go front, thats actually cool with me, even though it isn't with a lot of people. I think its cool to show off your style anyway you want, I may not think it looks good, but at the end of the day its your car, not mine. : ) Also, so long as you don't roll up on me with your bling 20 inch chromies and start revving, I really don't care. : ) I may laugh because I think they're ugly, but I"m nice, I do it BEHIND their backs. : ) See ya.

S13Fastback
Car: guitars,cars,reading,and my girl.

Thats not nice though Daunt they can still see you in their mirror!I laugh once im in front of them a good ways,like this guy around here with an S-10: he has 17" American Racing rims,bags on the front,and a black bumper.You always know its him because you hear his lifters knocking when he's an 1/8 of a mile behind you.It wouldnt be so bad (well maybe it would) but he'll actually rev on people with his automatic 2.2L truck.Its sad it really is.

Randy

Daunttless

Trpower had a bling bling Honda Accord rev on him earlier, it was quite amusing, you should ask him for the story. : )

trpower7

The local 92 odd four door accord, along with his fart can, AEM intake, and big chrome bling blingers is with one of my friends at the gas station and asks about my car. It is pretty much stock except for f/r strut tower bars, and a fart can (yes, I hate it, I was foolish back then). My friend suggests we race, and he of course has to accept. We went out to our little abandoned street we like to run at, and here is how it went down. I burned out all the way through first (accord is still behind me), burned through the first half of second (accord is still behind) and then just took off. By the time we had gone about a third of a mile I had him beat by 4-5 solid car-lengths. He claimed he "couldn't get any traction" and that's why he lost. I pointed out my burnouts in first and second and my chirp into third, much to his chagrin. Me and my steelies and stock engine did a pretty good job of smoking his bling bling for certain.

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

I do not race.I like my car as stock as possible; on the outside.Inside, I want the heart of a BEAST, purring in the body of a kitten.I don't believe in spending large amounts of $$$ on rims or tires."Middle-of-the-road" on both items is good enough for me and my ride.:icesangel :ylsuper

OLU40
Car: Infiniti's Martial Arts, Science, Reading, Sports, Computers, Electronics WOMEN!

Let's be real guys, to each his own. You want to race, hit the track. If you just blow away a few guys on the highway occasionally, no big deal. THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE! Bottom line chrome wheels can improve a car's appearance and even a good alloy. Jeeps are supposed to have a bigger rims (20-24). It looks terrible for a 5000lb + vehicle rocking 16'-17's or worse with all that wheel gap. Obviously manufacturers know this and realize the trend which is why cars and trucks are coming out with upgraded rubber out the gate. Ex: New 745i-li 18" standard 19" opt. The new Infiniti MX45 22" standard!!!!! The new Q and M 18" Standard (Q w sport package). These cars are being engineered to have bigger sized tires and rims with smooth rides and great handling to boot. It's a new age. And you need to do homework. IF YOU ARE BROKE DONT CRY ABOUT RIMS YOU CANT AFFORD. All of these rims you say cost upwards of 2g's I can find for 800- 1000. Even 6 for a good looking 17" rim w/tires! Cry if you will but these newer well engineered cars will have the "BLING-BLING RIMS" standard. I would like to see the clown who buys a car with 18-19" rims take them of for 15-16's crying. Please:bsflag

trpower7

I'm not saying they aren't worth the money. I'm saying there are a hella lot of things to buy before you blow so much on those rims. And I maintain that they are making them with rims this big now because of the trend, not because it is actually that much more functional. If it was that easy they would have done it a LONG time ago.

OLU40
Car: Infiniti's Martial Arts, Science, Reading, Sports, Computers, Electronics WOMEN!

You have to understand corporations dont know it all. They put things out incrementally to experiment to see how the public reacts. On the streets people get the jump on things way before the corporations. Like the whole TV in the car thing. It took dealers yeasr before they realized people were requesting them as an option as well as navigation Xenon lights etc. Always get you car in top physicall condition before anything. But me personally at this particullar financial state, I'm not paying even close to that for rims. $800 tops. I still need a Q45A rear sway bar, Tokico Blues (rear) JWT ECU, HID? and Valentine One to keep me out of trouble on the Interstate!

trpower7

I absolutely agree with that, my big point is that you can't blow $1000-$1500 on a set of rims and think you are the stuff. People dismiss cars around here all the time because they have hubs and they are more modified than their bling bling ever hopes to be. I am saying I am pissed off on the guys that drive around thinking their car is big stuff cause it might have rims, a CAI and exhuast. And I am sick of people laughing at MY car because I have chose to put my money into getting it back to pristine running order and upgrade parts that matter. And $800 is still almost halfway towards a CA18DET :)

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

OLU40 wrote:It looks terrible for a 5000lb + vehicle rocking 16'-17's or worse with all that wheel gap. Obviously manufacturers know this and realize the trend which is why cars and trucks are coming out with upgraded rubber out the gate. Ex: New 745i-li 18" standard 19" opt. The new Infiniti MX45 22" standard!!!!! The new Q and M 18" Standard (Q w sport package).
There's a reason for wheel gap: suspension. Most cars with a decent ride require a suspension which can let the wheels travel up and down to absorb bumps.

I think the larger wheels are more fashion than function. Why should a luxury car have 40 profile tires??

I'm a little disappointed in the G35 since it feels very top-heavy compared to my '92 Q, but one reason it feels that way is that Infiniti realizes people DEMAND 17" wheels, but they also demand a decent ride... so they give the car 17" wheels and 55 profile tires, so the wheel/tire combo has a greater diameter which makes the car taller and contributes to the top heavy feeling!!!

16 inch wheels with 50 profile tires would be perfect for G35.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

This post is ludicrous... it should be in The Ring... because it's basicallly a flame... as for the rest.... people want to look good while going fast... wheels can do that for anyone.. wheels are one of the top most things that can drastically change the look of your car... period..

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

OLU40 wrote: Jeeps are supposed to have a bigger rims (20-24). It looks terrible for a 5000lb + vehicle rocking 16'-17's or worse with all that wheel gap.
Ok.... WRONG!! Your mommas grocery-getter, soccer mom jeeps are the ONLY jeeps that come with larger rims. They are ENTIRELY a status symbol made for ashtetics... and serve NO function. Any REAL Jeep or vehicle that is made for performance in off-road conditions is made with 15' rims... on PURPOSE! There is a reaason too... try getting any kind of traction on slick surfaces with low-profile tires inflated to 60 psi!!! Doesn't work. The smaller diameter rims, coupled with larger profile tires, allows for more side-wall flex, and allows tires to be safely run at lower psi. The same theory is used in drag racing.. small diameter rims with HUGE tires... much better traction. And you mention all that "wheel gap", well that's there for a reason as well, it's called wheel travel and axle articulation! Real trucks are designed to have lots of room fo rthe tires/wheels to move up and down to keep them in contact with the ground in off-camber, low traction situations. You make some good points, but don't use trucks as an example that you obviously don't know anything about. The 'sport-utility' trend is not a good example for you to use, they are built for street applications, and designed entirely for asthetics. 15" steel wheels are almost as light as any 17" alloy or chrome wheels, and with the right tires can perform very well.. and it's not even worth discussing unless you have already seriously upgraded you suspension first.

OLU40

What's up Greg. Resond to you in a minute. Maine whatever LEARN TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!! Any idiot knows you don't buy a jeep with the intention of hitting corners for 100+mph turns. C'mon THINK A LITTLE. We are talking about visuals. And please don't insult me by tring to educate me on SUV's, wheel travell, yada, yada, yada. We all know that manufacture's send these vehicles out with 15's-16's for a reason. HOWEVER THEY RESEARCH THE DEMOGRAPHICS. 85-90% of SUV buyers DO NOT GO OFF-ROAD. THEY USE THEM FOR STREET APPLICATIONS ONLY. In the street bigger wheels and tires handle better period. This is why manufactures are bumping up the size. Looks yes, but they are trying to engineer these cars to take bigger sizes to prevent peopl from spending money outside the dealership to do it themselves. The numbers don't lie either. No that I would want to but if I had an Escalade and threw 20's and dropped it a couple the lateral accel, emergency lane change, etc is a lot better. They don't have to be 20's but 15's are ridiculous on a 5000 lb vehicle and the manufactures and engineer's know it. Wake up bro! By the way when I say jeep I mean SUV. Excuuuuuse me!

OLU40

greg_atlanta wrote:
There's a reason for wheel gap: suspension. Most cars with a decent ride require a suspension which can let the wheels travel up and down to absorb bumps.

I think the larger wheels are more fashion than function. Why should a luxury car have 40 profile tires??

I'm a little disappointed in the G35 since it feels very top-heavy compared to my '92 Q, but one reason it feels that way is that Infiniti realizes people DEMAND 17" wheels, but they also demand a decent ride... so they give the car 17" wheels and 55 profile tires, so the wheel/tire combo has a greater diameter which makes the car taller and contributes to the top heavy feeling!!!

16 inch wheels with 50 profile tires would be perfect for G35.
Numbers don't lie. At the skidpad there are marginal to significant increases as noted by many of your favorite car magazines, street racers, etc. The suspension definetly plays a part. However, look at the 745(Bimmer) With 19inch wheels it has a ride that rival a LS430. This is no exaggeration. BMW engineers did a great job of putting toghether a suspension that was able to handle bigger wheels that satisfy looks, handling and ride. The G35 beat out the BMW this month and made 1st place (RARE!!!!) These guys know what they are doing. Some people like stock. That's fine. If I had the new Q or 745 I wouldn't upgrade a damn thing (18's 19's). But I rock a 94'. So going up 2 or 3 inches ain't gonna hurt. We have plent members here with 17's with no complaints (Palmer, etc). Guys any feedback? We visited this briefly on the old site.

Return to “General Chat”