Pillow ball mount questions

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
sultan

i know what they are, but for what reason do i need them? Are they only for racing or for cars with adjustable coilovers? I am going to be putting some new tokicos (don't say another brand is better as tokico is the only company that makes them, except for full coilover setups) on and saw that pillow ball mounts are actually made for my car, and was wondering what good they would be, and if i did get them do i get both front and rear or just one?

also, jic sells a pillow ball tension rod... why would i want that instead of a stillen adjustable tension rod?

R240NA

Pillow ball upper mounts serve two purposes. First, they eliminate the OE rubber bushing, giving the car a more solid feel and reducing unwanted flex on top of the strut. Second, most are camber adjustable, giving you the ability to set your alignment in the front. There is no OE adjustment for camber, and when lowering the car you increase the negative camber. Stillen TC rods are the same as the JIC, just different manafacturers, they boith use a pillow ball bearing.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

sultan wrote:i I am going to be putting some new tokicos (don't say another brand is better as tokico is the only company that makes them, except for full coilover setups)

false, cusco and TEIN, and I think maybe 2 other companies make upper pilow ball mounts for the 240/silvia chassis.

phase 2, enjuku racing, and others carry them from different companies, the front T/C rod with adjustabilility(caster) are also made by cusco, tein, battleversion, and eastbear.

you have lots of options :)or were you talking about adjustable shocks/struts? if so, KYB makes the AGX, and KONI also has an adjsutable shock, not just tokico.-chet

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Pillowball mounts in themselves are used to eliminate bushings. This becomes more of an issue more as you go to a stiffer suspension, but a OEM suspension can still benefit from it as it allows the suspension to be the sole component to absorb movement. They also eliminate the excess movement of suspension in directions that aren't intended.

I do highly recommend camber plates up front for anyone serious about handling. Not to correct camber from lowering. The Strut type suspension makes very little change when lowering. And that's exactly the problem. As you load the suspension in a corner, ideally, you want the suspension to gain more negative camber. The strut type suspension makes little change to camber, so the more your car leans during cornering, the more it rides on the outer tread, causing understeer. I run about 3 degrees static camber and I have only a hint of understeer at the limit.

And what are you saying Tokico only makes? There are quite a few companies that make a variety of components for the 240. As far as I know, Tokico only has shocks and springs for the 240. At least in US Catalogs. I don't know what else they make for our cars outside the states.

sultan

tokico shocks are the only ones for my car, a Q45, they make blacks (OEM) and blues which are stiffer. I doubt that i could have gotten a response in the infiniti sections so i asked here. The pillow ball mounts would be by JIC.

R240NA

sultan wrote:tokico shocks are the only ones for my car, a Q45, they make blacks (OEM) and blues which are stiffer. I doubt that i could have gotten a response in the infiniti sections so i asked here. The pillow ball mounts would be by JIC.
Ah, a Q. Kewl. The TC rods you get need to be for an S13/Z32, the S14 units are one inch longer OE, so the aftermarket rods are made a little longer, you won't need the added length. The Z32 adjustable upper arms work on the Q45 also. Good luck with it, that's a huge car to be throwing around corners.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

oh word. its a Q. I stand corrected. I'd get the tokico blues if they are stiffer, you got a big car bro.-chetR240NA is right on.

R240NA

Exar-Kun wrote:R240NA is right on.

I ownz joo. Dang.

sultan

i would get tokico blues for the front but the 94-96 Q's have slightly different mounting holes than the 90-93 and are really hard to get, as there's a nation wide backorder. it sucks cause 90-93 fronts are available but mines a 94. looks like i'll get blacks on front blues on back.

Yeah, Z32 adjustable tension rods and upper control arms are what i want to get, but i might just get upper control arms right now, because they make a lot of noise and the price (450 for upper control arms and 330 for tension rods).

the pillow ball mounts are 248 a pair, which makes me think i should have gotten the whole JIC coilover setup for 1450, considering the price of non adjustable shocks and springs with pillow ball mounts is nearly the same price.

R240NA

sultan wrote:the pillow ball mounts are 248 a pair, which makes me think i should have gotten the whole JIC coilover setup for 1450, considering the price of non adjustable shocks and springs with pillow ball mounts is nearly the same price.

Actually, glad I read over this again. The JIC upper mounts are designed as a 'repair' part for their coilovers, they do NOT work with OE type struts, at least not on 240s. The JIC piston thread is larger, so the JIC mounting nut is oversized for OE use. Since it's a special type of hardware you'd have to order a comparable set of hardware from say, Cusco, and use them. I had to do that once when I stripped one of mine out, 18 weeks to get it and $66 later.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”