Picture of a NICE ______ engine.

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Cobra4Me

Experts, What is this engine?SR20DET?

Thanks

Cobra4Me

LOL, I know how girls look like...! I've seen plenty of them. I'm a newbie to Nissans so I'm learning 'bout engines, especially SR20DET 's. I have always owned American V8 vehicles, Old Muscle Cars and now I want to build a datsun 510 and install one of these engines, it looks like something fun to do, especially now that I'm finished with my Factory Five Cobra. I initiated the thread you are talking about, I wanted to create a new thread to expose the above picture better. so now I'm in the hunt for a 510 project vehicle so that I can do something like this:

I'll keep on learning here from all of you guys

I 8 v8

Just curious, why you always look at s15 motor? Alot of experts recommend to buy an s13 motor and build it up rather than get an s15. S15 motor are almost twice expensive than s13. you can use that money and buy turbo kit for the s13 and it will be way faster than s15 motor. The only advantage with the s15 motor is you'll get ball bearing t-28 turbo and VTC (Nissan V-TEC), but alot of people say vtc doesnt make a big difference between s13 motor. By the way, what kind of power do you expect on your 510?

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

well the real big deifference between the s13 motor and the s15 motor.....yea the price. s-15 is a 6-speed and the s-13 is a 5-speed tranny. Also the T-28 ball bearing and the VTC variable valve timing....but the main reason the s13 motor will pump out more horse on a turbo upgrade is its low-Port design. Thats where the newer motors went wrong with high port......s13 is the way to go but if u got the money an s-15 motor would still decimate.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

The S15 would be be suggested for the person who doesnt intend to do much modifying. Since it already puts out about 230-240 bhp it is definately a step above the S13, but the engine wont take as much abuse if put above a certain limit. The S13 redtop will take a little more abuse on stock componants. It has also been argued that the stock 6 speed tranny is a little bit weaker but if you stick to the basic S15 you'll probably never push the limits on that tranny.

SRpiccalo
Car: my car

I'm almost positive that the top engine is an hks built s13 sr20det i've seen it in a super street before

SpeedRacer1

I dont think that a FULLY built HKS engine would be sporting a Greddy intake manifold, intercooler and other Greddy goodies. I saw that enigne in superstreet too I think this is another tuner engine.

I 8 v8

SpeedRacer1 wrote:The S15 would be be suggested for the person who doesnt intend to do much modifying. Since it already puts out about 230-240 bhp it is definately a step above the S13, but the engine wont take as much abuse if put above a certain limit. The S13 redtop will take a little more abuse on stock componants. It has also been argued that the stock 6 speed tranny is a little bit weaker but if you stick to the basic S15 you'll probably never push the limits on that tranny.

I dont its an HKS built engine, infact, i think its Greddy built. Look at the manifold, the intercooler, piping, hoses, pulley, and the BIG T88 turbo(i think). even the oil cap is greddy.

SWIFT_DRIFT

93Niss240 wrote:well the real big deifference between the s13 motor and the s15 motor.....yea the price. s-15 is a 6-speed and the s-13 is a 5-speed tranny. Also the T-28 ball bearing and the VTC variable valve timing....but the main reason the s13 motor will pump out more horse on a turbo upgrade is its low-Port design. Thats where the newer motors went wrong with high port......s13 is the way to go but if u got the money an s-15 motor would still decimate.

ur a little backwards on ur info

s13 = high ports15 = low port, vtc, t28

the newer motors went wrong cuz they got low port heads. thats why the s13 motors kick so much ***, NO valve timing crap and high port heads = more power potential.

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

The 6-speed tranny was a draw for me too.. but i have heard lots of bad things about it.. and HKS offers a 5-speed to 6-speed S13 rebuild kit for a little over a grand.

Daunttless

The only bad thing about it is that there are six gears in the same size that there are 5 gears in all the other trannys. The gear box isn't any bigger, thats peoples complaint about it, its also why the 6 speed from a SR20 fits on a 5 speed mount, unlike just about every other 6 speed and 5 speed in existence. ( well, at least that I can think of right now, but all I have to say about that is one word: perkiset ) People say its "weaker" only because theres an extra gear in the same space, its not that the components are weak, its just that they're made out of less material which leads to less structural integrity. I'm going to go back to laying down now. Also, my vote is thats not a HKS engine, as the GReddy parts on it kind of give it away that its something else. : ) Also, as someone else said the S15 is good if you wanna be different, or if you never want to modify it. Otherwise, might as well take all those extra thousands of dollars and do mods on a S13 engine. Or, in ten years when the S15 engine is old you could use it then. : ) SEe ya.

SRpiccalo
Car: my car

sorry about that hks comment just found the picture of the hks sr and called myself a dumbass

Daunttless

Its all good, no one holds it against you. : )

SR180SX

It's GReddy..!!

SpeedRacer1

I 8 v8 wrote:I dont its an HKS built engine, infact, i think its Greddy built. Look at the manifold, the intercooler, piping, hoses, pulley, and the BIG T88 turbo(i think). even the oil cap is greddy.

Im assuming you just responded to the wrong person, right?

RequiredAuto
Car: Cars....

So if you wanted to have a high top end via a 6-speed tranny couldn't you ethier use a s15 6-speed or the HKS conversion kit and also match that with a taller geared differential....like a 300zx TT lsd? I don't know the numbers so its just a working theory but i thnk that might actually be a good combo, more gears kept short for acceleration but offset by the diff to become lengthier. thus creating a six speed that shifts similar to the five but with enough length that the sixth speed does carry you well past your original top speed, drag permiting.

Just an idea, tell me what you think

Gladimor
Car: Girls, cars, Girls, mountain bikes, oh and Girls

Whoa I had to read that last one a few times:pface! The gearing for 6th gear in the s15 is the same as the 5th for the s14 so the only difference is that the 6spd will give you a smoother approach to a top speed, I'm not good with words so I hope you understand where I'm comming from with this. I don't understand what you mean by the taller differential gear can you explain that some more?

KRPSICHI3
Car: I love to race, or anything else pertaining to cars particularly Japanese sports cars.

The Six speed transmission is not that great. They jammed six gears inside of a 5 speed bell housing. It's a weak transmission. The Koguchi 180SX performs like you wouldn't believe I saw it live at Nikko Circuit in the D-1 Grand Prix Live in Mainland Japan.

bp2ooo

if you look closely at the front of the motor's and the valve cover, it appers to be a s15.

implict

How much u think that engien is worth ?!?!?!?!?!:eek:

TheProfessional
Car: movies, music, cars

its DEFINITELY a s13. haha this can go on forever, but there is clearly no notch on the valve cover, thus, its an s13. but all that shiney chrome makes me squint, so there might be the s14-s15 notch, but ill put all my money on s13.

TheProfessional
Car: movies, music, cars

PS- forget the shiney chrome, you guys think thats a T88 turbo? its a freakin monster.

S13240

All I know is that that engine is either an s14 or s15 sr20det.

BuudWeizErr

It's definitely not an S13 engine unless they changed designs at some point. Look at the cold plugs on the front of the engine as opposed to the cold plugs on my engine.... Also, I believe it is notched, but that chrome is making it hard to tell.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”