Autocross AE86, pics/vids (and my AE86 chronicle thread)

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

What do you get when you take 5 guys, a whole boatload of automotive knowledge and a bit of pocket cash? Project 86...

It all started two nights ago. My friend Dan asked me to assist on a group project between himself and 3 other dudes I knew. I said, what kinda project. He was like, "Were building a Hachi..." Instantly I was a bit putoff, but hey, I have nothing to do right now until my RS13 is ready for Nurburgring and Hockenheim, so I said "what the hell" and jumped on.

Dan and I woke early, to get to the junkyard before all the other initial douchebags could buy it.

(Pic, Dan's RHS13, as seen from my RS13)

We finally found the car, and I was a bit relieved, at least its a coupe... We got them to forklift it out from where it was, amongst the sea of other junkers like it, and then sat it out in the open, where we could get a good look at it and think of a fair price. Originally I was thinking they were going to screw us and try to charge something outrageous for a piece of crap like this, anything more than 500 (which is what these are worth), and I was walking.

After popping the hood, I looked inside and that 500 pricetag just dropped to about 250. Its carbed...

(Pic, me, Jim next to the junker, RS13 in the background)

Well, we wanted to see if it would run, so my buddy Jay hopped in while I dumped on a bunch of carb start. He turned the motor over a few times and finally it awoke, and it was LOUD. No, not the exhaust, the motor. Just then, we heard, CLUNK. "Well, there goes a rod," I thought. Nope, aparently it was already busted, we just assisted in breaking it further. We looked at the motor and it had a bunch of smoke pouring out a small fist sized hole in the block. I was ASTOUNDED that the motor started.

(Pic, hole in block)

(Pic, smoke comming out and oil shot over exhaust manif, and the motor bay)

Well, Jay went and talk to the folks, and we forked up 250 for it, as its a pretty fair price of a craphole shell.

I ran home to pick up my breaker bar and my rhino ramps, we had some work to do.

We had it towed to Jasons house and the work began.

You can tell this project isnt that important as we were all drinking beers and bs'ing a TON. When I did my SR20 back in the states, I was stone cold sober and worked like I had a gun to my head.

(Pic, in order, left to right, Dan, Jay and Brandon. You can see me below, look for black jacket and white stripe. I was looking at how rusty the bolts were holding the exhaust system together)

The whole time we were pulling this, I was thinking, "Dude, a CA18 would go nice in this." The decision was already made though, we already had a 4AG (not sure where its from yet, it was late when we picked up the motor last night and I didnt really care).

We got the head off with little struggle, but the tranny proved to be a bit of a task to do w/out draining the fluid and w/out trying NOT to wear gear oil.

(Pic, Brandon getting ready to pull up on the block so we could try to slide the tranny out)

(Pic, Jay showing Jason what a bellhousing is. Were talking about a guy who drives a stock Lancer Oz and thinks its fast.)

Before the sun went down that day, we had the crap motor out (no cherry picker), time to get the 4ag.

(Pic, Jim and Jason over the empty motor bay)

To be continued...

Modified by flohtingPoint at 10:12 AM 3/21/2005

Modified by flohtingPoint at 10:56 PM 5/2/2005
Modified by flohtingPoint at 6:57 AM 3/19/2006
Last edited by flohtingPoint on Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

I like it! Good luck with the project.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

flohtingPoint wrote:I have nothing to do right now until my RS13 is ready for Nurburgring and Hockenheim
*ENVY*

lol good luck with this one

Rex
Car: None

WOW, neat project, idea. I sadly admit I wouldn't have the patience (nor probably the skill) to do this, but it sure looks like fun .

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

haha cool...

I get to help my buddy put an SC'd 4age out of an MR-2 into his soon!

they're fun little go carts...

oh..what are you guys doing in germany?

going on the coveralls, I'm guessing something pertaining to military? if not, and english is a second langauge, nice typing skills!

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Gruss Gott! Wilkommen sum NICO!

flohtingPoint

nismofly wrote:
*ENVY*

lol good luck with this one
Haha, believe me, I'd much rather be back in the states. I miss my HS13 alot, and I really miss solo II events. Unless you're going to a track, there really isnt much to do here in Germany as far as motorsports goes. Yea, you can drive up and down our Autobahns, but that gets old pretty quick.
Mr1der wrote:oh..what are you guys doing in germany?
Were all stationed at Ramstein AB, working in various locations around the base. I work in Comm, monitoring our bases networks. Jay is Jasons supervisor out on the flightline, where they both work as Crew Chiefs. Dan is a jet engine mechanic. Brandon... I'm not too sure what he does, but whatever it is, hes good at looking busy
repo man wrote:Gruss Gott! Wilkommen sum NICO!
I am the suck at speaking German

gabossie
Car: Your mom

oohh, looks like fun! What's the intended budget for the whole project?

Mr1der

600 dollars!

flohtingPoint

UPDATED PICS

Night before

Me getting ready to check my coolant level while Dan was trying to find his gas cap. He never found it and ended up stealing some GIRLS from her civic hatch. Stealing from a girl Dan... someones going to hell...

Jason was taking hella random pics that night.

Dan (brown jacket) going to find his gas cap. Jason and I were sitting on a curb laughing at him.

Motor strip down day

Look at that beautiful head!!!!! WOOO, not a spec of crap on it. We should put this in the paper with "like new" in the description

Number 3 cyl was the one that blew. We had fun playing wack-a-mole with it.

Dan pounding the tranny bolts off. Felt like these beasts were put on with around 1000 ft/lbs of torque.

Me, messing around with the carb and the head, removing anything of value. See that shiney area in the corner, yea, thats all gasoline that dumped from the carb. Needless to say, the smoking stopped for a while and we had to take out cigs outside the garage.

Now we see why that head looked soooooooooo nice. Its got a FRAM on it!!!! Damn, spared no expense.

Jay and I checking out the carb, seeing what we would need to do to apply it to other applications. We're packrats, we keep a ton of useless crap. Example: I have cam sprokets from several motors I dont even own at my place.

Me sitting the motor bay. It was super dark in there and I looked down and saw something shiney. I was like, "oh look, a ratchet", but once I picked it up I saw it was a rod chunk. I couldnt stop laughing.

Future rotors for project 86

Day after

Me by some of our crews cars, talking to Jay

From left to right: Jay's 86, Jim's RS13, Dan's RHS13, Chin's Lude, "some dude I dont know"'s busted RS13, Alex's RHS13, Jason's Lancer Oz.

Mr1der

please tell me the fram filter thing was a joke right?

fram filters make baby jesus cry...I don't care how much foam grippy material they put on them.

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:please tell me the fram filter thing was a joke right?

fram filters make baby jesus cry...I don't care how much foam grippy material they put on them.
100% true. I was acutally the one underneath unscrewing it, thinking to myself "Dude, I know this is Germany, but they HAVE to have better crap than a fram. Maybe thats why the motor blew up =P

Sadly, Project 86 is on hold right now, as we are debating throwing down and turbo'ing the 4a we have sitting in the trunk of it right now. Sadly, this is more sadly for me, as it is sadly sitting in my sad garage right now, collecting dust and sadly stopping me from parking my sad 200SX there.

Ah well, Rome wasnt built in a day... It was? Well DAMN, we better get to work!
Modified by flohtingPoint at 9:10 AM 3/27/2005

Mr1der

I think a turbo would make up for the fram filter...

I was hoping WIX was universal

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:I think a turbo would make up for the fram filter...

I was hoping WIX was universal
Yea, we have better filters over here in Germany, I have no idea why the previous owner was using a Fram on his 3TC.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sweet. Looks like a fun project. That coupe looks way beter than the hatches made "jdm tyte" by the Initial Doofuses. If it's in your garage, that gives you some leverage. Just tell them it doesn't stay there unless it can get CA'ed. Turbo CA'ed.

And GOD those Lancers are fugly! A whole row of great looking cars, and at the end is this yellow POS that looks like a drunken pig.

flohtingPoint

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Sweet. Looks like a fun project. That coupe looks way beter than the hatches made "jdm tyte" by the Initial Doofuses. If it's in your garage, that gives you some leverage. Just tell them it doesn't stay there unless it can get CA'ed. Turbo CA'ed.

And GOD those Lancers are fugly! A whole row of great looking cars, and at the end is this yellow POS that looks like a drunken pig.
lol, its actually got to make its way out of my garage soon, as a busted up BNR32 will be resting there until I can pull the motor, brakes, interior, etc.

Funny you mention yellow lancers, thats what Jason has. Its a posmobile =P

Mr1der

I much prefer the hatch to the coupe personally...

could be I really love the inspector gadget look though..

prefer the S12 hatch to coupe as well...not the same with s13 however.

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:I much prefer the hatch to the coupe personally...

could be I really love the inspector gadget look though..

prefer the S12 hatch to coupe as well...not the same with s13 however.
To each his own =)

I like the coupe for practical reasons only. Stability being the main one. I havent cared about looks in god knows how long, so I'm probably the last person to judge what a car looks like =/

Mr1der

I still wouldn't want the ugly chick even if she does f*** like a beast.

CDE
Car: 1989 240SX

I used to have a Corolla GT-S with the same engine you are putting into that 86. I was going to swap it for the super-charged MR-2 engine until some jerk in an insanely large SUV totalled it. It was a very sad day.

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

Cool looking project. A friend of mine in L.A., and I are considering doing 86 projects. But we're probably going to do GT-S's and not get the SR5(the carburated one). Between that idea and my S14, I'll never end up with my 3rd dream car(at least american dream car). FD3S...

Oh well someday I'll have all 3 done in my garage. muwhahaha

flohtingPoint

Well, a couple days ago my landlord found the gutted 86 in my garage and was... less than pleased. German law forbids vehicles in this sort of condition from being stored anywhere outside an official auto garage, so he informed us that we had to get it out of there by the end of the week. Not wanting to pay storage fee's, I informed Jay that we should get on this and get a motor in it and get it running.

Not having a known functioning motor on hand, we ran to gut his running Euro-spec 86. We got the motor, tranny, and every piece of wiring in his full harness out of the car in record time. We also ran down stairs and grabbed his spare GT-S rear end, so that I could work the swap (this ones a SR5, and has an open diff, so it needed to go). Having to work the next day, I crashed after this, and we resumed the next day.

After work, we sprinted home and got straight to work. 4ag's are super light, and a cherry picker wasnt needed at all. Jay and I lifted it into place and lightly bolted the motor down.

Jay went to work on the interior, while I started ripping apart the rear end and started laying the ground work for the GTS rear.

We layed the wire over the gutted dash and ran it out through the firewall and started working on the motor, hooking everything up and such.

Upon getting the motor/tranny/wiring/rear end in, we tried to start it, but like most projects, the first try didnt work. After basic troubleshooting (about 30 min), we ran back to Jays house to get his fuel tank and fuel lines, as the carbed motor had a different setup and we didnt have time to screw around.

After dropping his fuel tank, and grabbing the lines, we ran over to my place, bolted everything up, and got the car started in three more tries. That night, the 86 moved for the first time on its own, since we picked it up in mid March (it sat w/no work done on it for over a month). It was a beautiful site watching it drive around. We didnt finish the wiring for the lights, and it was quite dark outside, so we just sandwiched Jay in between my RS13 and a RNN14.

(note: that magazine was found in the car, it's called "Glutes" and is a full magazine dedicated to butts, it was a good distraction while taking a couple smoke breaks)

The next day, we threw the Euro 86's Konigs on the running 86 and got ready to take the Euro to the junk yard to fully strip it.

We towed it with the RNN14 and made it to the Junk yard with no issues. It was hilarious watching the Germans stare at us like we were Jackasses, towing around a busted car with a "little hatchback".

When we arrived, it seemed that they had changed their policies about stripping cars there and that we would have to pay for the parts that we strip off it.

"F-this," we said, and towed it back to Jays house. On the way, our cargo strap broke and sent me coasting onto the shoulder. Laughing and shouting "Sh1thead Racing" at each car that passed us w/odd looks, we hooked the tow strap back up and got back on the road. This time I was about 10 feet from the Pulsar, instead of the nice 20ft buffer, and Jay, as a joke, took me through the backroads of some of the busiest, narrow streets possible. I swear I was crapping myself, trying not to hit the pulsar and watch the tow strap for slack.

We got home safely, and decided to commit the biggest sin you could in ol Germany. Strip a car on the sidewalk next to your house. Holy crap the Germans were pissed (I mean damn, they get mad at me when I let my car idle, let alone tear apart a car in the middle of the street)! They honked and honked and some came out of their houses to yell at us. While I was unbolting the rack and support I would just stick my hand out from under the car and give them the third finger.

After we fully stripped the car, save the seatbelts and one seat, and while it was resting on 4 steelies, we Jay and I each thought the Hachi-Broku was a thing of beauty.

After cleaning up, we thought the only way to top off that day was to go to the K-Club, get blasted, and ride the bull.

Mr1der

bwahahahahahahahahaah

I wish I lived there...comedy....

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:bwahahahahahahahahaah

I wish I lived there...comedy....
Yea, sadly I think we just contributed to another 10 years of Yankee hate.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

flohtingPoint wrote:Yea, sadly I think we just contributed to another 10 years of Yankee hate.
But it was worth it, though...you know it was.

flohtingPoint

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
But it was worth it, though...you know it was.
Every minute of it. Especially the part where one old lady came up to us and asked us "how long it would take to fix the car". Our reply, "I dunno, these pieces keep comming off!!!!!"

Mr1der

rofl...stupid anal germans...

I'd probably have doubled the amount of hatred.

gabossie
Car: Your mom

ROFLMMAO

You tell one hell of a story.

flohtingPoint

gabossie wrote:ROFLMMAO

You tell one hell of a story.
I try =)

Sadly, past Nurburgring, getting tanked, and working on cars, there really isnt much to do IN Germany as I cant speak a lick of Germany =/

Mr1der

you could join a facist "political" faction and have the GSG-9 kick the crap outta your door!

Return to “Others”