Autocross AE86, pics/vids (and my AE86 chronicle thread)

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

xX RB Xx wrote:ahh i love corollas
Mines more of a love/hate relationship.

Love:-That they're old as hell and in a year and a half mine will be completely free from emissions testing.-When set up right, they're literally as close to driving a go-kart as you'll get w/out owning a Caterham.-They're electrically stupid. Cars, these days, have WAY too many electrical features that are just dying to fail upon being tinkered with. The only essential electrical features in Corollas are the EFI, lights and wipers. That's it.-Ease of work. There is literally nothing complicated about them and everything is tiny. I mean, hell, the transmission is nearly pocket-sized.-4age is one of the best built motors, ever... I've run them ragged over the years and they keep on ticking. On a few track days, I've run them hard enough to burn most of the oil in there that the dip-stick is nearly dry when I pulled it out, but the car still made it back to Ramstein from Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Sure, I've blown up a couple, but that was mainly due to being a moron and over-estimating their superhuman strength.

Hate:-Live axle-Head room (I'm 6'1", wearing a helmet inside of this car sucks, alot...)-I'm terrified that some drift-fanboy is going to attempt to steal my car. I say attempt because I have a few precautions built into my car that only allow it to be started if you know what to do.-Wheel well room. Sure, I guess this is nice if you want that clean slammed look with minimal gap, but it makes it hard during the winter to put on my other set of wheels.-In their stock format, they're not very Solo-2 friendly. You'll get dominated by the cars in your class. Soon as I reach the point here I'd be competitive against similar cars, I've already SM-2'ed myself, which means I'm screwed.

xX RB Xx
Car: SE3P, FC3S, FC3C.

flohtingPoint wrote:
Mines more of a love/hate relationship.

Love:-That they're old as hell and in a year and a half mine will be completely free from emissions testing.-When set up right, they're literally as close to driving a go-kart as you'll get w/out owning a Caterham.-They're electrically stupid. Cars, these days, have WAY too many electrical features that are just dying to fail upon being tinkered with. The only essential electrical features in Corollas are the EFI, lights and wipers. That's it.-Ease of work. There is literally nothing complicated about them and everything is tiny. I mean, hell, the transmission is nearly pocket-sized.-4age is one of the best built motors, ever... I've run them ragged over the years and they keep on ticking. On a few track days, I've run them hard enough to burn most of the oil in there that the dip-stick is nearly dry when I pulled it out, but the car still made it back to Ramstein from Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Sure, I've blown up a couple, but that was mainly due to being a moron and over-estimating their superhuman strength.

Hate:-Live axle-Head room (I'm 6'1", wearing a helmet inside of this car sucks, alot...)-I'm terrified that some drift-fanboy is going to attempt to steal my car. I say attempt because I have a few precautions built into my car that only allow it to be started if you know what to do.-Wheel well room. Sure, I guess this is nice if you want that clean slammed look with minimal gap, but it makes it hard during the winter to put on my other set of wheels.-In their stock format, they're not very Solo-2 friendly. You'll get dominated by the cars in your class. Soon as I reach the point here I'd be competitive against similar cars, I've already SM-2'ed myself, which means I'm screwed.
that is the best thing i have ever heard to describe a corolla.

you have hit everything on the head.

nissan_star
Car: 2000 maxima se and 1993 240sx vert (5sp!!!)

this thread was super bumped

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

This thread rules my face.

Kalypso

Super BUmp 2... for the win

flohtingPoint

Project is near completion. Will be moving onto my next project here shortly, a Merkur XR4Ti. I have an SR and a CA laying around and may be doing some fit testing here in the near future. Will make a new thread to update with pics and good stuff.

Otto.

flohtingPoint wrote:And lastly, a pic taken from the roof of the 86 while we were all at Rock Am Ring (Large concert held at Nurburgring which featured Greenday, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Weezer, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, etc). I'm the guy with the toothbrush in his mouth =P
The Chemical Brothers... at Nurburgring? OH MY GOD THAT IS EPIC

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

flohtingPoint wrote:Project is near completion. Will be moving onto my next project here shortly, a Merkur XR4Ti. I have an SR and a CA laying around and may be doing some fit testing here in the near future. Will make a new thread to update with pics and good stuff.
WHAT!? I loved those things since I was little ...didn't know much about them until later on. That's really really cool. How hard is it to get parts for those things now that your'e stateside?

flohtingPoint

skydragoness wrote:
WHAT!? I loved those things since I was little ...didn't know much about them until later on. That's really really cool. How hard is it to get parts for those things now that your'e stateside?
XR4Ti or 86? Actually, either is relatively easy, it just takes some digging. My stock motor in the Merkur is only going to last me until I feel it having some issues. The moment that happens, my spare CA will probably replace it.

Honestly, I havent even brokered the deal to get the Merkur yet (still some pricing issues with the seller I need to work out), but it's as good as golden, as he's had no other possible buyers.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I have been noticing those cars also, pretty neat.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

flohtingPoint wrote:
XR4Ti or 86? Actually, either is relatively easy, it just takes some digging. My stock motor in the Merkur is only going to last me until I feel it having some issues. The moment that happens, my spare CA will probably replace it.

Honestly, I havent even brokered the deal to get the Merkur yet (still some pricing issues with the seller I need to work out), but it's as good as golden, as he's had no other possible buyers.
I was referring to the Merkur of course (although I love 86s too).Would you have to import stuff from the UK?

flohtingPoint

skydragoness wrote:
I was referring to the Merkur of course (although I love 86s too).Would you have to import stuff from the UK?
Things like coilovers yea (UK/rest of EU). Also, XR4Ti's come with rear drums, so I'll want the discs/calips off a Sierra. I still have a lot of friends back in Germany and I'm rather friendly with a UK Quattro group that used to make quarterly trips down to Nurburgring, so I'll have them put out an APB for boneyard Cosworths. The rest I'll wind up Nissan'ing. I have two turbo motors collecting dust in my storage, so I'd like to put one of them to use.

flohtingPoint

Scratch the Merkur idea. Seller thinks the car is worth 4k, when it's clearly a 2 or below 2k car. Besides, I'm trying to get back to Europe now anyway. As far as what will happen with the 86, dunno. I'm going to wind up taking one of my cars over there, S13 or Rolla, just havent decided. Leaning more toward my S13, because it's the car that I dont care if it gets salt damage from the winter time and should anyone plow into me on Nurburgring/Hockenheim, I wouldn't mind parting with the car, because finding another is relatively easy (this is my 5th S13).

flohtingPoint

Few pics from the Capital Driving Club auto-x yesterday.

My roommate drives the Mazdaspeed 3.

flohtingPoint

flohtingPoint

Couple new pics of the 86.

Setting up the car at the Bowie, MD CDC autox.

My hallmark card style rear window for Felipe Massa:

Staging before the morning heat:

During that auto-x event, my fuel switch just about burned out, so I had to replace it. I went a step further, not linking it to any of the 24 year old switches in the car, but mounting brand new switches in the glove box:

flohtingPoint

flohtingPoint

Ok, some video updates.

Track time with the 86 out at Summit Motorsports Park on the Jefferson Circuit in West Virginia.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzKIfrjtMm0

This past weekend out at Frederick, Maryland for a Capital Driving Club autocross.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqLrRXhj2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLGe4BLAVYw

What happens when you dont spray down Falken Azenis =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wm9tBUalwo

flohtingPoint

Pics from this past weekend.

Those were from Saturday. On Sunday, I wrote this on my hatch:

...which lead the folks in the scoring tent to put this on my time card =P

flohtingPoint

Some pics from last weeks autocross

flohtingPoint

Finally installed the rear coilovers I had sitting around for quite some time. Was a pain in the a** as a lot of beating on the car and a bit of cutting had to go into it to make them fit. If I would have dropped the gas tank, I could have used a torch to heat the area and make it easier, but I'm lazy.

My TRD "blues" which are now TRD blacks.

I discovered my car retains water that day... I believe the leak is related to my hatch. This is going to be fixed whenever my group buy for a CF hatch goes through.

A shot of the cut/beaten area.

And installed:

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i needs me some coils

flohtingPoint

If you dont have any plans for your setup, I'd talk to the folks at QA1 and see what's going on. They make a lot of make-shift applications, much like the ones I have on mine.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i'm gonna be building my own custom suspension... i just need time and money so i can buy all the stuff to do so

flohtingPoint

PEZi720 wrote:i'm gonna be building my own custom suspension... i just need time and money so i can buy all the stuff to do so
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm massively backed up on cash until my company approves all my expense reports from all the way back in July =/ I cant afford to do any more work on my MR2 until this clears, and it's looking now like I may not finish the car before the start of next season...

flohtingPoint

Latest vids:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qhO50V ... Ypj_UGpJj0

These are from yesterdays auto-x.

flohtingPoint

I just found the newest set of unused A5's that is probably available.

flohtingPoint

A peek into our race closet at home. I also ordered some Bassett wheels for the A3SO5's I bought last week.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Very niiiiiice.

I wish I had a closet of tires.

flohtingPoint

breadbox wrote:Very niiiiiice.

I wish I had a closet of tires.
Yea, I wont lie, it does feel good when I pop that door open and see a closet full of r-compounds.

Won my class today at the autocross I was at, will post videos later.

Return to “Others”