Picking up M45 tomorrow!!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TXSJaybird

JUST GOT IT!!! M45 Sport, Black/Stone/Aluminum (updated)

Postby TXSJaybird » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Holy Crap!! I just picked this beast up this morning.

I am in love.....this V8 is intoxicating!! Although it only has 50 miles on it, I couldnt resist turning off the VDC and getting on it a little.

Man this baby moves!!

Is there still a breakin period with new vehicles like this? Ive heard different opinions....

The Razr phone hooked up to it with no problem. Just a few buttons and I was voice dialing, hands free driving. Man, this is just too freaking cool!!

I need to figure out how to post pics here. In the meantime, ive got them on here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2067809/1

BTW, Im going back next week to add the spoiler and the sunroof visor.

Modified by TXSJaybird at 8:21 PM 7/30/2005

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Postby szh » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:22 pm

Congratulations!!

Yes, please post pictures and driving experiences when you get a chance! Looking forward to your detailed report so that we can all enjoy!

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Q45t 5 speed, 2007 BMW M Coupe, 2007 G35S 6MT

Re: (szhosain)

Postby elwesso » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:36 pm

Congrats!! I can imagine that the dealers are letting these go very cheap...

Man i felt like a kid in a candy store when i got my wheels in, and I can only imagine the joy of picking up an M45.

Post some pictures and maybe a video or 2 of that VK45DE revving to life!!

Bluetooth is golden as well, and industry standard for many years to come!!!

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Re: Picking up M45 tomorrow!! (TXSJaybird)

Postby 90Q45blue » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:44 am

TXSJaybird wrote:I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!

Tomorrow I pick up my Black 45 Sport with stone interior, aluminum dash.

The V8 is intoxicating!! Thanks for the feedback/support fellas.

I got SW Infiniti in Houston to come down $1k off sticker, and throw in tint, sunroof deflector and rear spoiler. This was after 3 rounds of negotiating.

I asked for the whole aero kit included, but no go. Perhaps I will add that later.

From what I have read, dealers are not coming too far off the msrp.... Anyone have a different experience?

I just picked up a Motorola Razor also, and cant wait to start using the Bluetooth.

Looking forward to posting pics soon!!
Just got a RAZR huh? I've had one for about 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it. Here's how to make it work with your new M45 Sport:

1. Go to Settings2. Go to Connection3. Click the "Bluetooth" Link4. Go to Setup5. Be sure to turn the Power On6. Go back to the "Bluetooth" menu7. Click Handsfree to turn that function on8. Click on Setup again, then click "Find Me"

Now the rest is through the M45's menu. You just click on phone settings and click on the find bluetooth phone button. Then you should be good to go. I got mine to work on an M35 I was testing and it worked great. Let me know how it works for you.

Nick

P.S. Also, nice job on the car. I can't wait to see the pics!

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:12 pm

Quick Bump....just got it!! (cant change the thread name, and didnt want to start a new one)

Sorry, having trouble posting pics....

Heres the link-

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2067809

Modified by TXSJaybird at 10:01 PM 7/30/2005

elwesso

Re: (TXSJaybird)

Postby elwesso » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:25 pm

If your going to bump your thread you at least have to post some pictures!!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Q45, 1995 Q45t, 2000 Q45

Postby maxnix » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:51 pm

TXSJaybird wrote:Sorry, having trouble posting pics....
You, too? I keep geting shunted back to the Log-in page everytime I clidk the Upload Pictures link. It's maddening.

maxnix

Re: JUST GOT IT!!! M45 Sport, Black/Stone/Aluminum (TXSJaybird)

Postby maxnix » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:55 pm

Very nice interior. You have to do a write up. Yes there is a break-in procedure. RTFOM!

If you are an owner and not a renter, read szhosain's posts on oil changing. Most wear is in the first few miles. And one thing you don't want to encourage is the excessive consumption problem that plagues a few VK45DE.

TXSJaybird

Re: JUST GOT IT!!! M45 Sport, Black/Stone/Aluminum (maxnix)

Postby TXSJaybird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:36 am

maxnix wrote: Most wear is in the first few miles. And one thing you don't want to encourage is the excessive consumption problem that plagues a few VK45DE.
Consumption problem? Could you elaborate?

I think I know what you mean....im not averaging very good mileage so far.....around 11mpg. Yikes!!

szh

Re: JUST GOT IT!!! M45 Sport, Black/Stone/Aluminum (TXSJaybird)

Postby szh » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:19 am

TXSJaybird wrote:Consumption problem? Could you elaborate?
On the 2003/2004 M45 (and the same engine in the 2002+ Q45), if you do not break-in the engine properly, the oil consumption goes very high!

We have not heard from any 2006 M45 owners yet about this, and it is not clear if they will experience the same issues, since the engine did get a minor tweak for the 2006, it might have changed behavior a bit.

But, it is good to follow a careful engine break-in method anyway ... just in case! See my long post in this thread: zerothread?id=125990.

The basic idea is frequent early oil changes, use good dino oil for at least the first 7,500 to 10,000 miles and don't baby the engine - lets the rings settle in quickly.

Z

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:20 am

Huh. Dont baby the engine? I would have thought the other way around...but thats why I come here, to learn!!

The dealer I went to is very serious about regular servicing. They include all of it for the first 2 years, and they were adamant that I get in there at the proper times. I like that.___________________________________________________________

I gotta tell ya guys, (and I hate to even write this)......but im thinking of trading it back in for the M35 Sport

3 main reasons:

1) Black paint...seduced me at the dealership, but ive already remembered how easily it dirtys and show scratches. In 1 day, in my garage, its already gathered a ton of dust and pollen.

2) Gas- so far I have averaged 12mpg. I know it could be better, but the way I like to drive, this is gonna hurt.

3) Technology, I sacrificed the Journey AND tech package for the V8. The base was $50.3.

I just checked out a silver M35 Sport, aero kit, tech/journey package, SAT, DVD for the same price.

Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if this is an option. I have less than 100 miles on my black 45, and its the same cost as the silver M35.

I have no idea how the "laws" or whatever work in this situation??? I just got it Sat, and will talk to the dealer on Monday.

Anyone know?

maxnix

Postby maxnix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:04 am

TXSJaybird wrote:Huh. Dont baby the engine? I would have thought the other way around...but thats why I come here, to learn!!

The dealer I went to is very serious about regular servicing. They include all of it for the first 2 years, and they were adamant that I get in there at the proper times. I like that.___________________________________________________________

I gotta tell ya guys, (and I hate to even write this)......but im thinking of trading it back in for the M35 Sport

3 main reasons:

1) Black paint...seduced me at the dealership, but ive already remembered how easily it dirtys and show scratches. In 1 day, in my garage, its already gathered a ton of dust and pollen.

2) Gas- so far I have averaged 12mpg. I know it could be better, but the way I like to drive, this is gonna hurt.

3) Technology, I sacrificed the Journey AND tech package for the V8. The base was $50.3.

I just checked out a silver M35 Sport, aero kit, tech/journey package, SAT, DVD for the same price.

Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if this is an option. I have less than 100 miles on my black 45, and its the same cost as the silver M35.

I have no idea how the "laws" or whatever work in this situation??? I just got it Sat, and will talk to the dealer on Monday.

Anyone know?
Keep it to under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miiles and try not to WOT it off the line. Think smooth and shock free while constantly varying rpm.

Understand that OEM maintenance are minimums required to get it to last past expiration of warranty period. Be more agressive and engine drivetrain should last 250K, no problem.

Black in TX sun is my last choice.

Gas mileage will improve after it is properly broken in. Use only Tier 1 gasoline. Beware of water in underground storage tanks and condensation in Houston. Use a bottle of ISO-Heet every month or so.

Tech and Journey are nice options.

Once it is titled, it is a used car. Good luck!

I think you will be glad you chose the VK45DE in the end. In town mixed with more distances on uncongested freeways should get you to 17 - 19 mpg if you don't practice WOT starts everytime.

szh

Re: (maxnix)

Postby szh » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:22 am

maxnix wrote:Keep it to under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miiles and try not to WOT it off the line. Think smooth and shock free while constantly varying rpm.
No starting-from-stop WOTs, yes, but I would definitely take it to redline or close to redline occasionally - just do it very smoothly. That gets the pistons moving and with a tiniest bit of stretch in the pistons rods, etc., it gets the rings and walls deburred past the "normal operating range" (so to speak!)

This practice was also confirmed by a Honda engineer, by the way. The manuals say one thing, yes, but actual results are achieved differently.

Quote »Use only Tier 1 gasoline.[/quote]Yes, definitely. Bad or low-octane gas will drop the mileage and affect the engine smoothness for sure.

Quote »Once it is titled, it is a used car. Good luck![/quote]'Fraid so!

Quote »I think you will be glad you chose the VK45DE in the end. In town mixed with more distances on uncongested freeways should get you to 17 - 19 mpg if you don't practice WOT starts everytime. [/quote]Yes! I average about 17 to 18mpg average in mixed driving (65% - 70% highway miles) - steady highway speeds are much higher mpg, of course.

When my wife gets the car every other month (0% highway driving), she gets about 16mpg average with all city miles. The M35 will not be much better than this, by the way, maybe around 1 mpg difference.

Z

szh

Postby szh » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:27 am

TXSJaybird wrote:The dealer I went to is very serious about regular servicing. They include all of it for the first 2 years, and they were adamant that I get in there at the proper times. I like that.
Pretty good! I would also strongly recommend doing the oil and filter change every 3750 miles - this does not need the dealer per se. If they did not include it in the car price (that is an interesting Infiniti dealer option for sure - I know that some other mftrs do it standard!), then it is simple enough to do!

Just need 6 quarts of good oil, a filter and crush washer from the dealer and you can either DIY or have it done at a local garage. I use a place near my work and they charge $15 for the lift and labor - not bad at all for the convenience factor!

Quote »1) Black paint...seduced me at the dealership, but ive already remembered how easily it dirtys and show scratches. In 1 day, in my garage, its already gathered a ton of dust and pollen.[/quote]You might consider putting Zaino (check out http://www.zaino.com) on it. Then the pollen and dust just fall off when you leave the garage and drive a few miles!

Z

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:25 am

Well, I just talked to my sales guy (called him on his day off, but hes cool like that)

He said it "shouldnt" be a problem switching them out....but of course tomorrow will be the final say. We'll see....

BTW, guess I am a real newbie....whats a WOT start?

szh

Postby szh » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:57 am

TXSJaybird wrote:He said it "shouldnt" be a problem switching them out....but of course tomorrow will be the final say. We'll see....
Honestly, I will be very surprised if it is possible ... only if they have not registered the car yet, I suppose!

Quote »BTW, guess I am a real newbie....whats a WOT start?[/quote]WOT = Wide Open Throttle. Flooring it as far as the throttle will go!

Z

maxnix

Postby maxnix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:00 am

Wide Open Throttle

Pedal to the Metal.

In TX traffic, I would take any M45 over any M35 for that instantaneous throttle response. Last time I was in Houston, it was pretty congested on I610 and US290, though.

Calculating out a 2 mpg increase (providing you don't drive it trying to match the M45 performance envelope), the savings are a couple hundred dollars per year at $2.50/ gallon, depending on the mileage driven.

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:56 am

I have a lead foot.....a 2mpg difference I could handle....forget what the manufacturers numbers tell you, this beast is averaging 12mpg right now....thats quite a difference...

maxnix

Postby maxnix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Yeah, you are (hopefully) carefully breaking it in. Have you not owned a new Japanese car before? They are put together a little tighter than domestic brands.

Initial break-in is about 10K miles. Fully broken-in doesn't occur until about 50K miles if you treat it right. Then it will be more in specification at 200K than a 25K mile American engine.

A lead foot destroys MPG. The M35 will be not much better if you drive it the same way, and it will be slower without the power reserve.

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:09 pm

Well, I had a Maxima before this, but honestly I didnt care that much. I got on it pretty much from day one.....and it never failed me.

However, I realize this engine is different, I want to treat it better. I havent given it the WOT yet, but had a little fun so far (I guess enough to warrant 12mpg!!)

Thanks for the info guys.

maxnix

Postby maxnix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:28 pm

Good luck and let us know. I would test drive a M35 extensively before pulling the trigger. The main thing is you will get a little less performance for a little more economy.

Is it worth thet trade offs? Only you can decide for sure.

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

Postby 350zQ45a » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:09 pm

You will not get much more economy at all. Go look at the window sticker it's 1 more MPG.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.

Postby AZhitman » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:24 pm

^ Agreed.

You'll work the 3.5 harder as well.

TXSJaybird

Postby TXSJaybird » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:43 am

Fellas, just got back from the dealership.

Apparently I was suffering temporary insanity, or some sort of buyers remorse?!?!

Im keeping the black beauty, M45. The dealership was actually cool enough to offer me the M35 if I wanted it.

I drove it extensively (Thank Brian) and it just doesnt compare. I will have to let off the lead foot a bit, but it almost seemed to balance out, as the V6 has to try harder. Basically, what all you guys were telling me!!

I had the 2 side by side, and no matter what, I just couldnt tear away from the black M45. Sure, more car washes are in my future (as well as some Zaino (thanks Z!) but in the end, i have a good feeling in my stomach, which matters most.

Now, if I could only figure out how to post pics on here?!?!?! NEWBIE I AM!!

elwesso

Postby elwesso » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:47 am

I know a lot of newer cars get crappy gas mileage for a while.. Our grand prix when it was brand new would only get about 13-15 in the city at first, but once it broke in (now its got 7500) it gets 17 or so...

Give things time to break in!! Youll get better gas mileage as you use the car!!!

szh

Postby szh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:02 am

TXSJaybird wrote:Im keeping the black beauty, M45. The dealership was actually cool enough to offer me the M35 if I wanted it.
Cool! You will like the car a lot! I am pleasantly surprised by your dealer too - that is good!

Quote »Now, if I could only figure out how to post pics on here?[/quote]Here is the thread that describes how to do that zerothread?id=53960

Z

maxnix

Postby maxnix » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:27 am

TXSJaybird wrote:Fellas, just got back from the dealership.

Apparently I was suffering temporary insanity, or some sort of buyers remorse?!?!

Im keeping the black beauty, M45. The dealership was actually cool enough to offer me the M35 if I wanted it.

I drove it extensively (Thank Brian) and it just doesnt compare. I will have to let off the lead foot a bit, but it almost seemed to balance out, as the V6 has to try harder. Basically, what all you guys were telling me!!

I had the 2 side by side, and no matter what, I just couldnt tear away from the black M45. Sure, more car washes are in my future (as well as some Zaino (thanks Z!) but in the end, i have a good feeling in my stomach, which matters most.

Now, if I could only figure out how to post pics on here?!?!?! NEWBIE I AM!!
I think you will be completely happy on the long run. After you Zaino it, a California Duster will help keep it pristine..

I also am haveing a very difficult time adding to my Members Rides gallery.

Seems to be impossible until the hosting program is changed.

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

Postby 350zQ45a » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Yes, I am so pleased you went with the V8.

You nailed it perfectly, the V6 is just always working and still can't match the V8 no matter how much it moans.

Brilliant decision. Nothing wrong with having a tire scorching torque monster v8, that's just damn American in the long run, and in a Japanese car nontheless!

bb-m35

Postby bb-m35 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:38 pm

Well I picked up the 6 - I didn't even drive the 8. I'm still not convinced it's worth the extra dough for regular street driving - looks good on paper but beyond that I have to say I'm skeptical - and I tend to have a heavy foot. But I am mostly surprised that the dealership would even let someone go back and swap out cars.

szh

Re: (bb-m35)

Postby szh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:56 pm

Welcome to NICO, bb-m35!

Please post pictures and give us your detailed driving experiences when you get a moment or two!
bb-m35 wrote:Well I picked up the 6 - I didn't even drive the 8. I'm still not convinced it's worth the extra dough for regular street driving - looks good on paper but beyond that I have to say I'm skeptical - and I tend to have a heavy foot.
Your pocketbook is probably happy that you did not drive the 8 - you might have gotten hooked!

Regardless, the M35 is a totally fine car too, so congratulations on the purchase! I am sure that you will enjoy it thoroughly!
bb-m35 wrote:But I am mostly surprised that the dealership would even let someone go back and swap out cars.
Very true! I think we are all kinda surprised by that.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”