Picking out front shock / struts

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
EvilJack
Car: 2008 QX56

My front shock/struts are shot and the dealership wants $650 per side to replace them. That seems ridiculous so I'm going with an independent guy. I have to supply the parts to this guy. But I have zero clue what I'm looking at. Between Advanced Auto Parts and AutoZone, there are 9 different choices that fix my 2008 QX56. Does anyone have knowledge / advice they can offer me on what to choose and why some of these are more than 3X the price of another?

These are the specific parts I'm seeing that fit my vehicle:

SenSen Shock/Strut - $52.99
Rancho RS5000 Shock Absorber - $60.29
Gabriel Ultra Shock/Strut - $81.99
Monroe Gas-Matic Strut - $89.99
Monroe OESpectrum Strut - $123.99
KYB Gas Strut - $129.99
KYB Excel-G Shock/Strut - $129.99
Bilstein 4600 Shock / Strut - $146.99
Bilstein 5100 Shock / Strut - $160.99

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/sh ... bers/15732
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-stee ... leSet=true

macgiver

mac here , with a TIP. This worked out 100 % for my 93 J30 , and -hear me out - I didn't buy any OEM / was NO
aftermarket part and someone explained how (they thought ALL struts) unscrewing a large diameter retainer nut
- looks like a bicycle just below the handlears ,you know ? This disassembles the piston & some seals etc. Oil is inside these type - look behind your tires for this lg. "spin nut" .Note besides the HUGE price of part -J30 has this strut INTEGRAL w/spindle(ie. steering knucle) = bigger price =much bigger job! Now the oil inside will deteriorate
(hot here AZ) even kinda coagulates so a quick flush w/brakleen (cap & shake it ), air dry , then get some "jack oil" (I found I believe Solder seal) and it stated on bottle "suitable for shocks -car / motorcycle" that's what can go in there and I made mine better - a little stiffer/firmer than I acquired the car .
Pros = if yours comes apart like this chk. ; if it's also integral (expensive part / more work) chk. ;if you can ESTIMATE exactly how much oil WAS in there (mine coagulated/ evaporated slightly) chk.
Cons = if you got the 1500+ $$$bucks ; don't do too much involved mech. work ; then pay someone.
Yes you have to just remove top three strut nuts & w/spring compressors ( pull strut away from fender/mudwells)
and take off spring then U-can unscrew that retainer nut ( tip= I tested that nut 1/4 turn with tire off w/huge pliers you use on it whilst in the car to see if it DOES in fact spin to remove !) One thing to be sure there's no remaining debris , clumps of coagulated oil etc. that may interfere w/orifices in the plunger/tube assy.
Hope that gives another plan B.Glen 11/1/2017

TonyGqx56
Car: 2010 QX56 Late Model

I bought and installed kyb strut and spring combos. The front ride height is definitely up from stock but I like it and it's better for camping offroading etc. I installed them myself the trick is to drop the sway bar out of the way, though I do have the aftermarket Stillen bar which blocked access to getting the new units in. HTH

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”