Picked up my G37C last night. I have a LOT to learn!

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

The technology is very useful and easy to access, but it's going to take some practice. The sales guy did a nice overview of everything, but there is only so much I can absorb in one sitting.

I love the cooled seats!

I never liked the Niss-finiti exhaust growl, but I can live with it. I'm surprised, though, that at higher RPM the exhaust note does not get better. It seems to get quieter and less aggressive. Is there some sort of active baffle?

xtrema

G37 doesn't have as nice of a growl as G35.

There are probably more people more technical then me that can explain it. But all I know is that VQ37DE is the cause of VQ being dropped from Ward's 10 best engine list.

So I guess you got the Premier?

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Welcome & congrats on the new ride.

How about some details like color & options...

Potomac-Greg

It's black over stone. Aluminum trim. Auto, non-sport, navigation, smart cruise control ... Those are the options that come to mind.

My prior car was a 2002 Benz C32 AMG, so I'm one of the few G37 buyers who needs to get used to a slower car! The electronics are three generations ahead of the Benz, and I really appreciate the way that they work.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Congratulations.Because its a drop top, the exhaust is slightly detuned, also as a motor revs, sound and pressure equalizations and variations have cosmic collisions and I'm not an expert on phonic engineering or anything, but its just nature. Soon enough there will be an aftermarket system. My car sounds best between 2300 and 2900rpm and 3900 to 5500rpm. Hond@ vehicles sound good from 1500psi of the scrapyard crushing mechanism to the point when it clinks like a 2 foot by 2 foot cube of scrap metal. Mustangs (V8) sound good from 1700 to 3500rpm and the Aston Martin DB9 sounds good from before the key even turns the car on to redline, as does the GT-R. But those are just personal opinions.

mjlenox
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible, Premier Edition

Congrats and welcome aboard! You're gonna love the G37C.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Potomac-Greg wrote:It's black over stone. Aluminum trim. Auto, non-sport, navigation, smart cruise control ... Those are the options that come to mind.

My prior car was a 2002 Benz C32 AMG, so I'm one of the few G37 buyers who needs to get used to a slower car! The electronics are three generations ahead of the Benz, and I really appreciate the way that they work.
Slower in some regards but it's more fun to drive and it does not smell like crayons. Yhe G37c is top dog in its market point when it comes to performance. Given the fact that it has a fair amount of heft to it it has respectible get up and go. The growl of the VQ is something unique that will grow on you, give it some time.

I would like to welcome Potomac-Greg and mjlenox to our slowly expanding Convertible forum. As Nicos only staff member who has attended the factory training specifically for the convertible and the new technology I can answer pretty any questions you may have and if I do not have the answer I know where to find it. If you have any issues feel free to email me if you don't want to ask the world.

Potomac-Greg

Well, I've got a couple of weeks under my belt, and I have to admit that the car is growing on me. Some specifics:

> Smart key: I could take it or leave it. I need to have the key anyway, so it's not a big convenience to keep it in my pocket.

> Navigation: The best system I've used.

> Entertainment: I'm still trying to sort out the menus. The control buttons are all over the place (e.g. to select > or < on the iPod, you have to hit buttons way down low that are actually up/down symbols).

> The HVAC is a great system.

> The turning headlights -- I haven't noticed them in action, but I found a button to turn the system on/off. Why would you need to turn it off?

> The seat belt tensioners for hard stops: Scary at first. This one feature would make the car annoying on-track (not that this car will EVER see a track). Every braking zone would trigger the system. If I could disable it, I might. Is this system on the coupe/sedan? Is it on the 370Z? Speaking of disabling, has anyone hacked into the system in a way to set "other" preferences? Is there a software package that does this?

> Acceleration is great, esp considering the weight of this beast. Handling is very good, although the front tires complain pretty easily when pushed. Braking is good, although I get a little "grunch" when I release the brakes at a slow roll. No biggie, and I am always willing to experiment with brake pads.

I took the "INFINITI" letters off the trunk and I like it. In a year or two I'm going to want to lower the car an inch or so. Nothing improves a car's look more than dropping it a little lower on its wheels.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

As far as lowering, you're in DC. I wouldn't lower it at all. But thats me. I would honestly not lower it more than .7 inches front/ .6 rear because of the flatter suspension geometry in the rear. The precrash seatbelts are in almost every high end nissan and all infinitis. The system takes a while to get used to, but it is very effective in emergency and collision situations. The turning headlamps you may notice more in the dark night, if you turn them off and see how much of the corner is visible, and then when on. You'll see a difference. I think its pretty cool.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”