Phrase of the day, "legitimate violence."

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/nadler- ... e-violence
At a Capitol Hill press conference on Wednesday, Nadler gathered with other House Democrats to push for stricter gun control in the wake of last week’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., which left 26 dead, including 20 children.

The lawmaker told CNSNews.com that he not only supports prohibiting the future sale of 10-round gun magazines, but he would like to confiscate high-capacity clips already legally possessed by American citizens.
“But let me say, yes,” Nadler added. “One of the definitions of a nation state is that the state has a monopoly on legitimate violence. And the state ought to have a monopoly on legitimate violence.”
Define that for me representative. What is "legitimate violence?" War? Dispensing with the difficulties of arguing for our little adventures around the world for a moment and casting war in a pure white light of the John Wayne character where only the bad guys get hurt and "our side" is completely righteous, would you say that war is an act of self defense by a nation state? If so then you would characterize self defense as legitimate violence?
“If the premise of your question is that people are going to resist a tyrannical government by shooting machine guns at American troops, that’s insane,” he said.
If those guns of supposed self defense are then turned upon the people that they are supposed to defend then do they not then become the tools of evil, the mechanism whereby a tyrannical government brings the people to heel? Would not then, any guns aimed back be in self defense and thus "legitimate" by what I assume your implied definition to be?

Otherwise, your definition of "legitimate violence" hinges only on use by governments regardless of its victims which sounds awfully tyrannical.
ty·ran·ni·cal
/təˈranikəl/
Adjective

1. Exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way.
2. Characteristic of tyranny; oppressive and controlling.

We don't have machine guns, sir, you took those away in 1934. Now you seek to take their neutered progeny, "assault weapons." Next will probably be handguns since the whole hunting angle seems to be your bait and switch talking point even though the 2nd amendment mentions nothing about a "right to hunt." You see, punk, history shows how this goes down. Take the Philippines under Marcos.

http://progun.ph/content/martial-law-co ... remembered

People would say "this is not the Philippines, Mad, and my goodness you are stunningly attractive!"

Yes, I am ruggedly handsome in a sort or Leatherface way, and yes, America is not the Philippines. America fought for its freedom from a tyrannical government. Its leaders, fresh from the fight and the lessons learned crafted a document, a Constitution, and in that wise parchment they emblazoned a bill of rights. Recognizing that venison is a lean healthy meat they included the right to keep and bear arms.... Wait, that's wrong, oh yeah. Recognizing that governments have the capability to become tyrannical and that a citizenry needs a fighting chance to throw such oppressors off, they included the right to keep and bear arms. You know, on the wall....

No, not really, I's just being humorous. No, they meant GUNS! Not some guns. Not certain guns. Not whatever guns elite politicians and money men were comfortable with, guns, "arms." Oh, they meant muskets? Really? Where is that exactly? The precedent of the musket is fine, I'll let you have that one, because guess what? At the time the document was written "arms" meant this.

While quaint to us in modern time, at that time it was the cutting edge of military technology. The document would understandably know of and thus endorse such things. Today we have this.

That you don't like that is quite irrelevant. You are supposed to serve the people, not dictate to them. "Why do people need that?" because if the reason for the 2nd amendment becomes necessary to prosecute citizenry will be staring down the likes of this stuff.

They will need all the help they can get. Will the first drone strike on American soil be "legitimate violence?" How about the first American citizen shot by an American soldier?

I would call you misguided Mr. Nadler, but that would suggest you have no direction. I think you know exactly what you want and are proceeding with great enthusiasm towards that goal. That goal is textbook tyranny and that is why if you succeed in the first quote, you will experience the second which, coincidentally, is the 2ND!

Oh look, he's hunting with it. Awkward.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Where the hell does New York find these people?

Well-done, voters. Too busy sucking down latte and acting like extras in a Seinfeld episode to actually RESEARCH the nutcases on the ballot?

I'm no right-winger, but this guy scares the bejeebus out of my Libertarian sensibilities.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

AZhitman wrote:Where the hell does New York find these people?

Well-done, voters. Too busy sucking down latte and acting like extras in a Seinfeld episode to actually RESEARCH the nutcases on the ballot?

I'm no right-winger, but this guy scares the bejeebus out of my Libertarian sensibilities.

Unfortunately NY does not hold a monopoly on ill-informed nutjobs like this guy. Congress is infested with them.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

NY and CA may hold the patents on the nut job politicians. With IL trying to horn in.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

biggie wrote:NY and CA may hold the patents on the nut job politicians. With IL trying to horn in.
You are leaving out a few nut jobs

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/03/michele ... obamacare/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/paul-rya ... OiW96yPz-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

some have already been voted out of office

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/2 ... 39247.html

and some others will be gone in 2014. :laugh:

Telcoman

S13_love

biggie wrote:NY and CA may hold the patents on the nut job politicians.
This is completely off topic...but...It's starting to look like New York will single-handedly hold those patents.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/p ... dollar-coi
"There is specific statutory authority that says that the Federal Reserve can mint any non-gold or -silver coin in any denomination, so all you do is you tell the Federal Reserve to make a platinum coin for one trillion dollars, and then you deposit it in the Treasury account, and you pay your bills," Nadler said in a telephone interview this afternoon.

I asked whether he was serious.

"I'm being absolutely serious," he said.
Now I've heard of everything...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That dude needs medication, and a hasty exit from present or future political office.

Like I said, who the HELL voted for this toolbag?

Unlike the lefty gasbags who try to avoid the topic at hand by posting up links to articles about people they simply don't agree with, THIS isn't a matter of disagreeing - THIS is a matter of outright lunacy.

Suggesting he'd favor legislation that directly subverts the Constitution that he swore to uphold is nothing short of treason.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

This is pretty simple but many on the right fail to understand because they listen to the false information given out by Fox and others.
When congress approves spending the government must pay the bill to avoid default.
The last time the right tried this in 2011 the US government credit rating was downgraded resulting in higher interest costs increasing the national debt.

So they are threatening Obama to try this again. What makes you think the results will be any different.
The nut jobs in the tea party have completely screwed up our political system and until more people realize that they are not the solution we will continue to a dis functional political system.

FWIW if Nadler was running in NJ he would get elected here.

Telcoman

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

I love threads that are built upon straw men, standing atop fountains of blather.

:popcorn:

Please, continue.*

*On the one hand, I'd very much like to right this ship by pointing out that's the context of the definition the representative is employing, I'm not sure "self-defense" is even "violence," legitimate or otherwise. On the other, I always get a better developed sense of superiority by watching you guys go all wing nutty.

AZhitman
Administrator

IBCoupe wrote:I always get a better developed sense of superiority by watching you guys go all wing nutty.
I don't want to overwhelm you with mechanical details, but a functional "wing nut", by design, has two wings. Your smug self-importance doesn't preclude you from being one of them. Muah.

Howie, once again, you're totally off-topic. You should just cut/paste your posts, since they're all hat, no horse. The foundations of your position are so riddled with hypocrisy that you've long-since lost any shred of credibility. "Stay out of my womb, my bedroom, and my 'stash' - but only if I don't own a gun." You're more of a wack-job than anything on Fox.

"That you don't like that is quite irrelevant. You are supposed to serve the people, not dictate to them." Not sure what part of that is "wing-nutty", but then again, it's easy to lob grenades from the safety and security of a tall pedestal.

mad4datsun
Car: 1990 240sx ka-t (current)
1972 240z vk45de (future project)

Holy pogostick hopping Jesus! (military side of me coming out)

What is this "legitimate violence" they speak of? And why should the state have control of that!?!?! It should be: "No one has the right to legitimate violence, except for when a threat to your life or another innocent is brought upon you by another." But that would be to simple of language for legislators so they will trump it up and make it sound fancy with terms like "forcible felony" like we have in Florida's self defense statutes.

While I have high hopes that there will not be another "black rifle" ban (I refuse to say assault when it reference to a weapon, because how can a weapon do an action that only living things can.) But this is yet to be seen, I am happy that on social media sites there are more people getting semi involved in the conversation, and are not just standing idly by.

Return to “Politics Etc.”