Phlebmaster's 620 Evolution

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Well, I have to start from the beginning. I was given my 1973 620 from my father-in-law last year after he purchased a brand new car. When I got it it was bone stock with the exception of the new radiator, distributor, heater core, etc... She had about 300,000 miles on her with no engine overhaul work done and she ran great!

I had to put a new carburetor on her for her to run right. But I fell in love with the simplicity of the Datsun and the dependability.

This is what she looked like when I got her:

I had the stock DCH340 but had to add my own twist...behold the Home Depot Performance intake! lol

But I got my head out of my rear and purchased my first Weber 32/36That was a good move for sure!

Then I got some new wheels!

And lowered the front end...

I redid the interior...If you look close you will notice my shifter boot is a master plunger.

I found me a shaved tailgate...

I then went to work on the engine....

I painted the valve cover first....

She started to smoke so I rebuilt my motor..the first time I have ever done this and I was scared to death!

I even came away with the obligatory meat puppet... eew lol

I also ported and polished the intake and head, and put in a monster regrind cam...hear her run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKDCe3_asMk

I tried my hand at flames(first attempt) and put on new mirrors

Here is my second try at flames..... They got hotter!

I then repainted the whole truck...rattle can style baby! I also put on some fender flares.

And that is where we sit right now....let me know what ya think!

phlebmaster

Little update.......

I was driving my truck this weekend and blew out my rear main seal. Now I have to pull the motor to fix this.

I will post up pics to the work.

phlebmaster

Maybe not just the rear seal??

Well, here is what is going on with my tranny. I was driving this weekend to Sherridan, (took my girls horseback riding), and noticed a sudden strong burning oil smell, then it went away. I checked evrything over and oil level looked fine and no obvious reason for the smell. After I arrived at our destination I noticed a large black puddle under the truck and it was coming from between the bellhousing and the motor.

The oil in my motor is clean, but this oil was BLACK. I also noticed a whine that was not there before and my speedo started to go nuts?? Any ideas??

I will finally be pulling everything out and then I can separate the motor and tranny to see what I can see. I just need a replacement because I am pretty sure my tranny is shot.

moparvwfreak
Car: 1973 Datusn 620 4 spd(sold), 1973 Datsun 620 5spd, 1993 BMW 325I, various VWs and now a CB7 Accord

sounds like an input shaft seal that would also mean clutch time most likely. that sucks.

phlebmaster

New tranny coming this weekend!! Yay!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Gotta love the upkeep on a older vehicle

phlebmaster

Here are the pics of my tranny swap, headbolt replacement, and rear main seal change. :D

Thanks to Atom for helping me through this!!

The set up...Pulling the hood

I have never taken the hood off before.

We wanted all the help we could get...So we got a wise man. :lol:

Marking the cam gear and pulling all of the parts off...

Applying the specialty tool..:lol:

Almost ready to pull...

The steering tie rod did get in the way...but somhow we were able to pull the motor without taking it off.

Finally out.... and now the work started

She has never looked so empty....

Got the old tranny off without any trouble...

Now to pull the flywheel and replace the main seal..

The old tranny was a mess! The bellhousing was full of oil. :

New tranny...my daughter said it looked like an alligator..:lol:

So I painted it.. Now it looks like a smurf leg. :blink:

I had to pull the switches from the old tranny to put on the new one.

Had to fix that broken head bolt... Came out without any trouble. YAY!

My clutch is in decent shape. :

I put the flywheel on then realized I forgot something...AAHH! So we improvised..Hahaha

Just about ready to put her back in...

This was the best part! Everything lined up.

She runs like a champ now and and no more leaks!

I just remembered I put on a new intake mani! :D

moparvwfreak
Car: 1973 Datusn 620 4 spd(sold), 1973 Datsun 620 5spd, 1993 BMW 325I, various VWs and now a CB7 Accord

shes looking good. glad shes runnin right for ya again.

phlebmaster

I am swaping in a L20b very soon! Pics to follow

mandingo
Car: 1979 datsun 620

Wow, you did a great job there, hats off to you how hard is it to replace the rear main seal, can you tell me a little about how you did it. I have a small leak in that area and I replaced the oil pan gasket, but it still leaks, so I assuming it the rear main seal

phlebmaster

Hi Thanks!

I responded to your question in your other post about the rear seal.

Anyway, here are the pics of my new monster L20....

W58 peanut head (shaved), BIG cam...I can't wait to install her.

mandingo
Car: 1979 datsun 620

SWEET!

phlebmaster

The suspense is killing me! I can't wait to get the L20b in.

phlebmaster

Ok...the much anticipated L20b swap is done. Here are the pics

Getting the L16 ready for the pull...

Out she came..

We made a special tool to keep the tranny oil from leaking out... Good thing we had an extra driveline.

We started at 6pm and worked untill 1am..it was cold!

I am so proud of my daughter...she was a BIG help!

Bye Bye L16

The L20b went in with very little effort! YAY!

I installed a BIG cam here is a video of her running the next morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_sfh2v1GeU

I cannot believe the power difference from the L16 to the L20b. I am very happy with the swap!

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Sweet jersey, I really need to start playing paintball again. Nice build. You really like that blue.

darens13
Car: '93 240sx, '90 chevy 1500, '49 dodge pickup

thats a sweet little pickup! my girlfriend's dad is going to let me have his old 620 thats been sitting for a few years. i have a spare ka24e that i would like to put in it, once i have the time!

phlebmaster

darens13 wrote:thats a sweet little pickup! my girlfriend's dad is going to let me have his old 620 thats been sitting for a few years. i have a spare ka24e that i would like to put in it, once i have the time!
Thanks! Definately post up the swap. That is a good motor alternative to the L motor.

darens13
Car: '93 240sx, '90 chevy 1500, '49 dodge pickup

It will be quite a while before I can get that little truck and I would hate to see it get hauled off for scrap. Old trucks, datsuns in particular just seem like they came standard with character so naturally I have to have one. It will probably be a daily driver too!

breadbox

Just keep looking on craigslist. Also when driving around and randomly seeing ones that are not for sale but are also in the same spot all the time(as if it weren't being used) and ask if they will sell or leave your number in case they do later on. Some time you can get crazy deals when people have cars sitting in their yard that need a couple minor things and a tuneup that they just are sick of seeing and let them go for a hundred. You get what YOU can find. I find crazy stuff all the time I just don't need it.

phlebmaster

Here is the video I made of my L20 with the 2" exhaust. My neighbors were pretty unhappy with me this morning...heheheheh

[youtube]ZNZPrcircbU[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

Everything went together pretty fast. The alternator will take me a little more time to get the fitment right. I need another belt and a grinder for the bracket.

phlebmaster

I fixed up those 14" wheels I got from Jester...Thank you Jester!!

Here are the pics....check out how the wheels fill in the flares and how they glow.

This is where I started....

Silver paint on the centers after sanding and rust removal....

Here is the blue glow...

Fills if the flares MUCH better.

Can't see too well in the dark...but they do glow nicely and my truck was lowered by 2.5 inches!

Hahahaha......here are my old ones.

Car: 1963 l320 datsun pick up

looking good........................................

breadbox

I really like those wheels. Nice.

phlebmaster

Thanks!!

I finally got a Matchbox dizzy....YAY! She runs like a champ! I have a suprise coming very soon, you will see.

Check out this weird coil.....

phlebmaster

UPDATES!!!!

Death of my flames..Rebirth of the Pheonix!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a bad day yesterday.

At 5:30am in the dark, I wired in my new Tach and didn't see that the wire that went to the negative coil terminal had an exposed wire. Everything worked great! I had the tach set right and mounted in the right spot where it was visible with my eyes on the road. I was very excited.

About half way to work my truck just shut down and would not start. I put my flashers on and popped the hood to see what the cause was. It was the exposed wire that had gounded the coil...so no spark. Well....I had tried to get it started with no success and drained my battery. I pulled the bad wire off of the coil, but had no juice to start my truck.

I was situated on a hill....so I put it in reverse and rolled for a bit and popped the clutch. She started right up! That is where this story gets messed up.....I needed to get out of the road so I started to pull forward. I forgot one minor thing....the hood was not latched. I found this out as I was moving about 10MPH a gust of wind lifted the hood right over the top on my windshield. Thank fully I was not moving very fast and it did not break my windshield. But my hood is trashed.

So...I decided to make lemon aid out of these lemons.Thanks to Brandon I have a replacement hood. It has a huge hole in the top of it..so what am I to do? Well I will take my old busted hood and use it for donor material to make a reversed scoop on the hood. It will work great because the hoods have the same shapes and bends in all the right places.

So...don't ever wire up ANYTHING in the dark..or forget to latch your hood!! I will be posting this new creation very soon. But it looks like my old flames will be history for now. Even the winged lady bit the dust on this one.

In the meantime...here is a teaser pic of the hood I will be putting on...notice the BIG hole in the hood. Just wait and see what we do next.

I still have some finish work to do, but she is all together and sounds better too. Now I am all set for my dual carb set up.

I decided not to wait. So here are the pics.......................

Thank you Brandon!!

Say good buy to my old hood.

Test fit before finishing...

Got her riveted on and bolted.

phlebmaster

I put some primer on her tonight...looks much better.

phlebmaster

Guess what we are doing......

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Wow Aaron, what an adventure. Cool thread to read. I'll be waiting to see what you do next. I figure in the next year or two there will be a "Check out the turbo" thread...

IMH

phlebmaster wrote:Guess what we are doing......
Overcarbureating an L series 4 cyl.?

phlebmaster

IMH wrote:Overcarbureating an L series 4 cyl.?
hahahaha...Yeah maybe, but I have an arsenal of small jets to play with. I will start with 115 primary and 130 secondary jets. The idle jets will be 40/45.

It is more for the cool factor rather than practicality. lol I will be putting Z22 pistons in the L20 real soon.

Return to “Datsun 620”