philly auto show

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I just got home from the Philly Auto show. For those unaware it's not a top tier show like NYC or Detroit or LA. More of a second/third tier. The new cars are supplied by local dealers. Admission was $15, but I got in free thru the Audi folks. The $0 entry price seemed fair. It's a show that's been shrinking in recent years. In fact BMW and Mercedes Benz did not show at all. But most makes were represented. The local abc news affiliate was on hand, so I got to see Karen Rogers, weekday morning weather/traffic milf. She was very nice. I parked my tush in quite a few cars.

Some quick impressions:

The new C8 Vette was there but roped off. Even more disappointing was the spokesperson was an old bald guy, not a spandex wearing hot female spokesmodel that most of the other brands hired. The C8 looks better like the C7 imho. But The diagonal wall between the seats with long row of identical buttons did not look good, but but I'm willing to postpone final judgement until after I drive one. The C8 rear end is not attractive but it is better than the C7's Alice Cooper's face in a rainstorm look.

It seems the newest car trend is lighted door sills. I guess most of the brands want you to read the model name in the dark as you wipe your muddy feet entering your car. Audi went one extra step by projecting "audi sport" onto the ground where your feet land. Seems a bit silly, but most marques offer them now.

The Simeone Foundation (famous local race-car museum) no longer brings over any cars, and the Buckingham classic car show was not there either. They've been replaced by some local car clubs. So buh bye real Cobra Daytona, hello modern mundane mustangs/camaros that you see at cruise nights. The AACA Antique Auto Club of America saved the day with several cars. There were also a couple movie theme cars sprinkled in among the vendors, not quite sure if they were real or tributes, like a wayne's world pacer, a shaggin wagon from Dumb and Dumber, and a Back to the future Delorean

Jeep had their traditional genuine imitation off road course, where they hold you hostage for 5 minutes of sales pitching while you are a trapped passenger in a jeep crawling over some little obstacles. Of course they also require a lotta personal info upfront to be passenger. That so they can barrage you with sales calls and spam after you get home. It's kinda like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

I sat in a couple of Lincoln crossovers plus the big ol' Town Truck (Navigator). With apologies to Repoman, who works for them, I thought they were "alright,alright,alright" in the comfort department, but the dash materials? Oi. A combination of cheap looking,dull plastic and lotsa pep boys like plastic chrome trim. I think they have a little more improving to do to justify those prices.

The Cadillac area seemed like a ghost town. Friendly , attractive spokesmodels, but sadly they could not offset the vehicles themselves.

I sat in a new Mazda 6. It struck me that a traditional italian driver mayl not like it. That is, if you hold the steering wheel and 5 and 7 as is frequently done in Italy, your elbow's gonna knock over your drink in the console mounted cupholders, I didn't mind the car otherwise. I stil have a soft spot for those Miati....er MX-5.

I experienced sticker shock looking and sitting at the new Jeep pickup, Felt very cheap, with an flat uninspiring dash. Did not seem worth the big money they're seeking for it.

In the Toyota section, there was a true driving oxymoron: a "TRD Camry", complete with slapped on trunk lid spoiler and NISMO type cheapie "performance looking stickers. Although the sign did say it had 300hp, it just seemed kinda wrong, like pineapple on a pizza or ketchup on a hotdog.

I also sat in a brand new Supra. I guess that was the only Bimmah at the show, aside from an old 2002tii in the AACA section. I did not care for the looks, but I will still withhold judgement until I drive one. Not only is the interior 100% BMW, including that putrid i-drive, visibility is surprisingly poor, especially to the rear. The front windshield is kinda Camaro-esque. Too small,.The attempted add-on dealer greed fees seems to have died very quickly. Appears this model might end up as poor selling as the previous generation Supra, (a better car but also overpriced) but I don't see this gen becoming as collectible as the gen 4 any time soon. The styling looks ok from a few select angles, but the overall overstyling is just not very attractive to me. The C8 drew a big crowd, the Zoopra did not and they allowed you to sit in the Zoopra, Not a good sign

I did stop at the Nissan area. They had a 50th anniversary 370Z. Essentially a cosmetic decal package in exchange for a bloated msrp. They also had a locked 50th anniversary GT-R, I guess it does feel like it's been 50 years since Nissan invested any money developing the current GT-R. The Maxima seemed to get the Rodney Dangerfield award for being placed nearest to the bathroom. The Nissan spokespeople were giving out swag for answering easy trivia questions that had nothing to do with Nissans. Nissan did have an amusing lifted sedan with triangular rubber off road tank tracks. Kinda silly, yet kinda cool.

I finally sat in a Kia Stinger. I liked it. Can't wait to test drive one.

There was also a small charity section including street legal super cars, before they became "hyper cars". Old favorites like F40, XJ220, Veyron, koeniggsegg, and a Tuatara. Pretty sexy stuff.

There were few driving similulators, one by Alfa Romeo who supplied only a stelvio, and it was used as part of their simulator.

I'm sure I'll remember more as time goes on. It's nice to see so many different cars under one roof, but Philly is not the place to see the newest prototypes.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I’ve been wanting to go drive a TRD Camry. I’ve heard the current crop of Camrys are a totally different car from Camrys of the past. Seems like Mazda-like fun, but with more horsepower now.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Bubba1 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 pm

I sat in a new Mazda 6. It struck me that a traditional Italian driver may not like it. That is, if you hold the steering wheel and 5 and 7 as is frequently done in Italy, your elbow's gonna knock over your drink in the console mounted cupholders, I didn't mind the car otherwise. I still have a soft spot for those Miati....er MX-5.

I finally sat in a Kia Stinger. I liked it. Can't wait to test drive one.
A little feedback from a 6 owner:
Traded in my 2006 Altima on a new 2017 Mazda 6 GT tech/premium.
Been driving it now for just over two years.
The cup holder is set a little farther back as you say, so it can interfere with your elbow I guess.
Being over 6 ft tall, and having the seat almost all the way back though kind of eliminates the problem for me.
The Mazda is technically advanced over the old Altima, but then again, so is every other car (lane keep assist, blind spot monitor, emergency braking, blah blah blah.)
In the important stuff, the stuff that matters, like how it actually performs and feels, the Mazda is light years ahead of the Altima.
The driving dynamics are far superior. It's quieter and more comfortable.
The fit and finish, materials etc, are a cut above as well. More attention to detail than most cars in it's class, or above.
It is a pleasure to drive, and it's not just another appliance like so many sedans are today.
2 years and only one problem: driver's seat heating element stopped working last month. Replaced under warranty.
I still look forward to getting in and driving it whenever I can (It's my wife's car, so I don't always get to drive it.)

As for the Stinger, it was on my radar for sure, and still is.
It was just a little over my budget at the time.

Return to “General Chat”