Petition to allow imports over 15 years old in USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
mahfouzman

Hi everyone, so I'm new on this website but for a long time now I've wanted to import a Skyline, as many of you have or maybe already have. But there's a big problem; in the United States, you can't legally import a car that's less than 25 years old unless you pay tens of thousands to get it up to code, and it's ridiculous. In Canada you can import a car that's 15 years or older without bringing it to code, and I think that the NHTSA should standardize this. If I start a petition on cause.com or on the white house website, how many of you would be willing to sign it?

o0Syn
Car: 92 Nissan 240SX Convertible

:bigthumb: +1
I would love a S15 or JZX80 :naughty:

mahfouzman

Haha finally a reply, I want one of those as well, I'll go make the petition :)

mahfouzman

Well this isn't my petition, but I found that somebody recently created one, I would greatly appreciate it if you could all sign this petition. http://wh.gov/vY7Q

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

This is about the 4th or 5th time in the last 6 months it's been tried. No one has even come close.

I wish ya luck, but please don't get your hopes up.

mahfouzman

Haha I know, I won't, but it never hurts to try I suppose. Please, to anyone who signed the petition, could you help in getting the link around?
http://wh.gov/vY7Q

tyndago

Honestly you will fight the OEM's on it. Even if you got a million signatures, you will "hurt" the domestic market. The way to try and get some "change" is with "dollars". I have been working around the import business for 14 years now, and I have no illusion that it doesn't just take big stacks of money to get something changed.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2011/03/this- ... ne-is.html
In December 1984, Time Magazine published this article about gray market luxury cars. In the article, they mention that the change in the dollars value via the exchange rate, can mean up to a $12,000 savings for a buyer of an imported gray market car, vs a model purchased at a US dealer. They mention that as many as 50,000 automobiles could have been brought into the US in 1985.
Example: a Mercedes 500 SEL, when bought from an authorized dealer in the U.S., is about $52,000. The same model bought in West Germany and imported by a U.S. buyer goes for some $40,000 after the extra charges.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... z1H0r4a8CU
There is data on the number of vehicles imported into the US though the gray market, and though official channels, and at one point the gray market was importing more cars than the official US distributors.
The grey market was successful enough that it ate significantly into the business of Mercedes-Benz of North America and their dealers. The corporation launched a successful million-dollar congressional lobbying effort to stop private importation of vehicles not officially intended for the U.S. market. An organisation called AICA (Automotive Importers Compliance Association) was formed by importers in California, Florida, New York, Texas, and elsewhere to counter some of these actions by Mercedes lobbyists, but the Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act was passed in 1988, effectively ending private import of grey-market vehicles to the United States. No evidence was presented that grey-import vehicles' safety performance differed significantly from that of US models, and there have been allegations of improper lobbying, but the issue has never been raised in court.
Mercedes Benz North America spent a million dollars lobbying congress to get the importing laws changed, to protect their interests, and money.

mahfouzman

That's all very true...it's all about the money in the end. I heard even General Motors is behind the whole thing, fearing that people may turn to Skylines and Supras instead of Camaros and Corvettes.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

...and the reality is, their fears are unfounded and short-sighted. Big surprise huh?

Besides, if and when I get my hands on an R32 GTS-T, it's getting an LS3 anyway - and the purists can suck it. :)

mahfouzman

AZhitman wrote:...and the reality is, their fears are unfounded and short-sighted. Big surprise huh?

Besides, if and when I get my hands on an R32 GTS-T, it's getting an LS3 anyway - and the purists can suck it. :)
Extremely unfounded and irrational. And LOL! I'd love to see a swap like that haha, although I prefer to go on with the Nissan engine, but hey, that's just me.

Lnkysean

I just signed it, doesn't seem like it'll actually change anything. Even if it does the way our goverment moves it'll take another 10 years just to inact it. Either way I'd love a R34 but I'd be just as happy with a R32 when they start getting past the 25 year mark next year.

mahfouzman

Or worst case scenario, we can all just move to Canada and get R34s haha :P

tyndago

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”