Persistent gas smell

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Zchemist
Car: 1990 300ZX NA

I've got a 1990 300ZX NA, 118K miles and nothing with the fuel systems has ever been replaced (except when I replaced the gas cap). Very suddenly she started smelling like gas - it is immediate upon starting and doesn't go away when driving, even for long distances. The smell is localized in the cabin and behind the driver, there are no gas smells in the engine compartment. No gas smell when she's off. Have to check if I can smell it in the trunk. My plan is to troubleshoot this weekend, but I am thinking it's probably the old hoses/o-rings/clamps.

So question is: I've never worked on a fuel system before - do I really need to take all the gas out to replace the hoses and o-rings like the FSM says? And, is there any reason I wouldn't be able to replace the hoses (assuming this is the cause) in my driveway?

Thanks for the advice!

Rossm952
Car: 1990 300ZX

Hello,

I also have a 90 NA with 118k on the clock so I feel invested in you figuring this out ;) . I saw someone just linked to this over on TT. http://twinturbo.net/ttnettech/fuelleaks/fuelleaks.html

Zchemist

Thanks for this! I think my problem is likely the fuel lines to the tank or maybe the pump o-ring, and not the damper or regulator assemblies due to where the smell is coming from. Though I'm sure all that hosing will start to crack and leak sooner or later - I will save this for future reference :)

Zchemist

@Rossm952 - you were right, turned out just to be the fuel pump regulator hoses. Also, just clicked over to 119K ;)

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”