PCV Valve Update Info & DIY

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
littlewillie

Modified by littlewillie at 6:47 PM 12/24/2007

brandonjustice93J30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

for that much hassle, unless a shop's gonna charge me an outrageous price, I think I'll have someone else do my PCV's(they need changed badly b/c I dont know the maintenance history before my Mom owned it)....I dont want to have the engine half apart and then have my apt complex complain, or spend all day at my fiance's mom's house in her garage...unless I have to.

littlewillie

Modified by littlewillie at 6:47 PM 12/24/2007

brandonjustice93J30

First off, it's misunderstood not miss understood...we're not listening to pop music here...might wanna fix that minor detail in your grammar if you want to define DIY for me and be a d!ck about it. Thanks

Second, it is a hassle when I dont have a 6' tool box at my right side, jack stands or a lift, a wide open area to work, and no restrictions because I live in an apartment complex that doesnt allow car repairs in the parking areas. If I was scared nor not knew which end of a wrench to hold, I wouldn't have mentioned going to my fiance's mom and dad's house to use their garage to "do it myself". And her dad is an owner/operator and has the tools I need that I cant store at my apartment. But they're not home 24/7 and I work most of the days they have off and have lots of things to do b/c of my 4 year old.

I'll end up doing the work myself whenever I get the time and space and it's nice you layed it all out. But come on man. There was no reason to be an *** because I made a comment based on my situation of workspace issues.

I appoligize to anyone this offends in advance.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Its really not as hard as he is amking it out to be. You dont need to disconnect any fuel lines or anything like that.

The PCVs are pretty straight forward, take of the clip, remove hose, and unscrew from plenum.

All you need is some elbow, a flathead, 19mm socket and ratchet.

Shouldnt take more that 15 minutes. You dont need a jack or stands blah blah etc etc
Modified by DominickJ30 at 12:56 PM 3/5/2006

gr8scott72
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

littlewillie wrote:Hey Brandon,Maybe you miss understood what the article was written for. DIY stands for “Do IT Yourself”. It was intended for those who want to do their own maintenance, not those that want to piss & moan about it. Don’t confuse “hassle” with scared. There is no hassle replacing your PCV valves if you own a toolbox that stands over 6’ tall, that’s full of tools & you know which end of the wrench to hold.

Willie
Wow! Guess I can't change the PCV valve myself since I don't have a 6' toolbox either. I don't have a toolbox at all actually.

brandonjustice93J30

I didnt figure I needed a bunch of tools like it was mentioned, I just figured it would be easier from the bottom of the engine instead of the top. Havent had much of a chance to look since in the last couple days I've been working and when I'm not working it's raining or snowing like it was earlier, or I've got plans with the kid and fiance. It's something that can wait til this coming weekend when I'm off, it's supposed to be 65+, and I'm home alone.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”