Paul Ryan's Budget Plan

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
Ebonbetta
Car: 2001 pathfinder

There is a common mis coonception in the statement that the people making the lowest pay NO taxes.
I might be paying no income taxes but I pay an average of 9.25% on every dollar I spend. And even more for gas. So yeah being in a low income bracket may mean I do not pay income tax.. But I am paying tax on every thing else.

Marenta
Car: 2008 Mopar Crap AND '91 Isuzu Impulse RS

I think the issue here isn't so much that you're paying NO taxes, it's that what you claim on your 1040 reflects NO taxes. There's absolutely no reason for people to be getting back MORE than what they paid in, no reason what-so-ever.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Ebonbetta wrote:There is a common mis coonception in the statement that the people making the lowest pay NO taxes.
I might be paying no income taxes but I pay an average of 9.25% on every dollar I spend. And even more for gas. So yeah being in a low income bracket may mean I do not pay income tax.. But I am paying tax on every thing else.
Its no misunderstanding. Aside from the minuscule portion of the gas tax that goes to the Feds, the 9.25% you reference are state and local taxes. This election is about the national economy, which does include state economies, in as much as the Federal government sends them aid packages, but otherwise, if you pay 0% or even receive back federal money, then you are getting off scott free, in as much as the Federal budget is concerned.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

AZhitman wrote:I wish Howie's mother had been as pro-abortion as he is.

Until he hands his beloved 401k (which he didn't earn, some capitalist did) over to a poor crack whore with 6 babies, he's a hypocrite.

Talk is cheap, Howie - write the check!
This thread was about Ryan's budget but since you have attempted to hijack this on abortion Ryan, Romney, and Akin are as much of a wack job as you are.

Those three may have handed the election to the Dems over this.
Between their war on woman, and the Romney' tax returns, abortion, medicare it looks good for Obama :chuckle:

http://www.boston.com/politicalintellig ... story.html

Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan seek distance from ‘legitimate rape’ remark, but records show narrow support for abortion
By Callum Borchers, Globe Correspondent
Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan say they disagree with Missouri Representative Todd Akin’s opposition to abortions for rape victims, but Akin’s reference Sunday to “legitimate rape” recalled the “forcible rape” language contained in a bill Ryan co-sponsored last year.
Akin, a Republican who is challenging Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill for her seat, said in a local television interview that he “understand from doctors” that rape-induced pregnancies are “really rare.”
“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” added Akin, a member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
The Romney campaign quickly sought to distance itself from Akin’s remarks.
“Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin’s statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape,” Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said in a statement Sunday.
Raise Your Voice
Click to contact candidates or elected officials about this issue. Romney offered a stronger condemnation Monday morning in an interview with the National Review.
“Congressman’s Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong,” Romney said. “Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive.”
Last year, Ryan joined Akin as one of 227 co-sponsors of a bill that narrowed an exemption to the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding for abortions. The Hyde Amendment allows federal dollars to be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest, but the proposed bill -- authored by New Jersey Representative Christopher H. Smith -- would have limited the incest exemption to minors and covered only victims of “forcible rape.”
House Republicans never defined what constituted “forcible rape” and what did not, but critics of the bill suggested the term could exclude women who are drugged and raped, mentally handicapped women who are coerced, and victims of statutory rape.
The “forcible” qualifier was eventually removed before the bill passed in the House last May. The Democrat-controlled Senate did not vote on the measure.
On Friday, before the Akin remarks, President Obama’s reelection campaign launched a television ad in six swing states accusing Romney and Ryan of opposing abortion “even in cases of rape and incest.”
On Monday, the Obama camp charged Romney and Ryan with “contradicting their own records” as they rejected Akin’s comments. In a statement, Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith referenced Ryan’s co-sponsorship of the “forcible rape” bill and Romney’s stated support of a Human Life Amendment, which she said “would ban abortion in all instances, even in the case of rape and incest.”
The Romney campaign dismissed the criticism as “another in a string of false attacks by the Obama campaign.”
“Mitt Romney’s position is clear: He is pro-life,” Henneberg said. “He opposes abortion with exceptions for rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. The Obama campaign is attempting to scare voters with false charges in an effort to distract from President Obama’s litany of failures in office.”
The term “Human Life Amendment” covers a series of legislative efforts to grant full human rights to fertilized eggs. Some versions have included rape and incest exceptions to a constitutional ban on abortion; others have not.
Romney has said he supports an amendment that would mark conception as the beginning of life and that he would have signed such a bill at the state level, if one had crossed his desk as Massachusetts governor. He also has said a federal Human Life Amendment -- which would require passage in both houses of Congress and approval by 38 of 50 states -- is unrealistic and that the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade and allow states to write their own abortion laws.
“We have to decide what politically has the greatest potential of being successful,” Romney said in an interview with Mike Huckabee on Fox News last October.
“Would it be wonderful if everyone in the country agreed with you and me that life begins at conception, that there’s a sanctity of life that’s part of a civilized society, and that we’re all going to agree we’re not going to have legal abortion in the nation?” Romney asked Huckabee. “That’d be great, but I don’t think that’s where we are right now.”
Romney -- a devout Mormon who has maintained a consistent, personal opposition to abortion -- has altered his political position on abortion over the years. As a Senate candidate in 1994, he cited the death of his brother-in-law’s sister from complications of an illegal abortion as a touchstone.
“Since that time, my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter,” Romney said during a debate.
Romney even appeared that year at a fund-raiser for Planned Parenthood -- an organization he has pledged to de-fund if elected president.
In 2002, as a candidate for Massachusetts governor, Romney said he would “respect and fully protect a woman’s right to choose.”
But Romney wrote in a 2005 op-ed in the Globe that his “convictions have evolved and deepened during [his] time as governor.” He began to take pro-life stances, explaining that it had become difficult to reconcile his personal belief about abortion with the political position he had taken for years.
At a Republican presidential debate in 2007, Romney said he “would welcome a circumstance where there was such a consensus in this country that we said we don’t want to have abortion in this country at all, period.” He added that he would be “delighted to sign” a bill banning all abortions but added “that’s not where America is today.”
The Obama campaign cites those debate remarks as evidence to support its claim that Romney opposes abortions for victims of rape and incest.
But more recently, Romney wrote in a 2011 op-ed in the National Review that he is “pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.”
Ryan’s longtime position has been to permit abortion only when a woman’s life is endangered by a pregnancy.
Callum Borchers can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @callumborchers.

I

stebo0728

telcoman wrote:
AZhitman wrote:I wish Howie's mother had been as pro-abortion as he is.

Until he hands his beloved 401k (which he didn't earn, some capitalist did) over to a poor crack whore with 6 babies, he's a hypocrite.

Talk is cheap, Howie - write the check!
This thread was about Ryan's budget but since you have attempted to hijack this on abortion Ryan, Romney, and Akin are as much of a wack job as you are.

Those three may have handed the election to the Dems over this.
Between their war on woman, and the Romney' tax returns, abortion, medicare it looks good for Obama :chuckle:

http://www.boston.com/politicalintellig ... story.html

Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan seek distance from ‘legitimate rape’ remark, but records show narrow support for abortion
By Callum Borchers, Globe Correspondent
Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan say they disagree with Missouri Representative Todd Akin’s opposition to abortions for rape victims, but Akin’s reference Sunday to “legitimate rape” recalled the “forcible rape” language contained in a bill Ryan co-sponsored last year.
Akin, a Republican who is challenging Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill for her seat, said in a local television interview that he “understand from doctors” that rape-induced pregnancies are “really rare.”
“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” added Akin, a member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
The Romney campaign quickly sought to distance itself from Akin’s remarks.
“Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin’s statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape,” Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said in a statement Sunday.
Raise Your Voice
Click to contact candidates or elected officials about this issue. Romney offered a stronger condemnation Monday morning in an interview with the National Review.
“Congressman’s Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong,” Romney said. “Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive.”
Last year, Ryan joined Akin as one of 227 co-sponsors of a bill that narrowed an exemption to the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding for abortions. The Hyde Amendment allows federal dollars to be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest, but the proposed bill -- authored by New Jersey Representative Christopher H. Smith -- would have limited the incest exemption to minors and covered only victims of “forcible rape.”
House Republicans never defined what constituted “forcible rape” and what did not, but critics of the bill suggested the term could exclude women who are drugged and raped, mentally handicapped women who are coerced, and victims of statutory rape.
The “forcible” qualifier was eventually removed before the bill passed in the House last May. The Democrat-controlled Senate did not vote on the measure.
On Friday, before the Akin remarks, President Obama’s reelection campaign launched a television ad in six swing states accusing Romney and Ryan of opposing abortion “even in cases of rape and incest.”
On Monday, the Obama camp charged Romney and Ryan with “contradicting their own records” as they rejected Akin’s comments. In a statement, Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith referenced Ryan’s co-sponsorship of the “forcible rape” bill and Romney’s stated support of a Human Life Amendment, which she said “would ban abortion in all instances, even in the case of rape and incest.”
The Romney campaign dismissed the criticism as “another in a string of false attacks by the Obama campaign.”
“Mitt Romney’s position is clear: He is pro-life,” Henneberg said. “He opposes abortion with exceptions for rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. The Obama campaign is attempting to scare voters with false charges in an effort to distract from President Obama’s litany of failures in office.”
The term “Human Life Amendment” covers a series of legislative efforts to grant full human rights to fertilized eggs. Some versions have included rape and incest exceptions to a constitutional ban on abortion; others have not.
Romney has said he supports an amendment that would mark conception as the beginning of life and that he would have signed such a bill at the state level, if one had crossed his desk as Massachusetts governor. He also has said a federal Human Life Amendment -- which would require passage in both houses of Congress and approval by 38 of 50 states -- is unrealistic and that the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade and allow states to write their own abortion laws.
“We have to decide what politically has the greatest potential of being successful,” Romney said in an interview with Mike Huckabee on Fox News last October.
“Would it be wonderful if everyone in the country agreed with you and me that life begins at conception, that there’s a sanctity of life that’s part of a civilized society, and that we’re all going to agree we’re not going to have legal abortion in the nation?” Romney asked Huckabee. “That’d be great, but I don’t think that’s where we are right now.”
Romney -- a devout Mormon who has maintained a consistent, personal opposition to abortion -- has altered his political position on abortion over the years. As a Senate candidate in 1994, he cited the death of his brother-in-law’s sister from complications of an illegal abortion as a touchstone.
“Since that time, my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter,” Romney said during a debate.
Romney even appeared that year at a fund-raiser for Planned Parenthood -- an organization he has pledged to de-fund if elected president.
In 2002, as a candidate for Massachusetts governor, Romney said he would “respect and fully protect a woman’s right to choose.”
But Romney wrote in a 2005 op-ed in the Globe that his “convictions have evolved and deepened during [his] time as governor.” He began to take pro-life stances, explaining that it had become difficult to reconcile his personal belief about abortion with the political position he had taken for years.
At a Republican presidential debate in 2007, Romney said he “would welcome a circumstance where there was such a consensus in this country that we said we don’t want to have abortion in this country at all, period.” He added that he would be “delighted to sign” a bill banning all abortions but added “that’s not where America is today.”
The Obama campaign cites those debate remarks as evidence to support its claim that Romney opposes abortions for victims of rape and incest.
But more recently, Romney wrote in a 2011 op-ed in the National Review that he is “pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.”
Ryan’s longtime position has been to permit abortion only when a woman’s life is endangered by a pregnancy.
Callum Borchers can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @callumborchers.

I

Romney, Ryan can have legitimate positions against abortion without being lumped in with Akins. Pro-life advocates get blessed one side and down the other for being heartless regarding rape/health concerns scenarios. So they go ahead and stump a bill that allows for these scenarios, and then thats not good enough either. Abortion for strictly birth control is not a good model. Getting the pregnancy to never occur is the better model. I'm sternly against willy nilly abortions, and will support a platform that agrees. Its not a frontline issue, and should be treated as such, still, when categorizing abortion as a conflict of rights, and recognizing that you are abridging the rights of one party, then only times that becomes a logical choice is the 2 big exemptions in this prohibition bill.

But again, this is not an issue that belongs in the limelight, for either side. When we get this economy in order, people working, and businesses investing here again, then maybe we can look back at this issue and take some measures here and there.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

telcoman wrote:This thread was about Ryan's budget but since you have attempted to hijack this on abortion Ryan, Romney, and Akin are as much of a wack job as you are.
You brought up abortion. A little fish oil might help with your memory issues.

No credibility until you give that poor crack whore your 401K (the one that some Fat Cat Capitalist earned for you). :)

It's gotta be horrible railing against the smart people who gave you a paycheck and interest on your investments, and knowing you don't have the character or the backbone to give it back. :biggrin:

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

stebo0728 wrote:[
Romney, Ryan can have legitimate positions against abortion without being lumped in with Akins. Pro-life advocates get blessed one side and down the other for being heartless regarding rape/health concerns scenarios. So they go ahead and stump a bill that allows for these scenarios, and then thats not good enough either. Abortion for strictly birth control is not a good model. Getting the pregnancy to never occur is the better model. I'm sternly against willy nilly abortions, and will support a platform that agrees. Its not a frontline issue, and should be treated as such, still, when categorizing abortion as a conflict of rights, and recognizing that you are abridging the rights of one party, then only times that becomes a logical choice is the 2 big exemptions in this prohibition bill.

But again, this is not an issue that belongs in the limelight, for either side. When we get this economy in order, people working, and businesses investing here again, then maybe we can look back at this issue and take some measures here and there.
No!

The three of them are all on the same page and dangerous to women

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... views.html

"there isn’t much daylight between Ryan and, say, Michele Bachmann. Any Republican vice-presidential candidate is going to be broadly anti-abortion, but Ryan goes much further. He believes ending a pregnancy should be illegal even when it results from rape or incest, or endangers a woman’s health. He was a cosponsor of the Sanctity of Human Life Act, a federal bill defining fertilized eggs as human beings, which, if passed, would criminalize some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization. The National Right to Life Committee has scored his voting record 100 percent every year since he entered the House in 1999. “I’m as pro-life as a person gets,” he told The Weekly Standard’s John McCormack in 2010. “You’re not going to have a truce.”

Telcoman

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

stebo0728 wrote:Ok, so to prove I am not closed minded, I took your last rebutal to heart, and retraced my thought pattern regarding "tax expenditures". I'm going to quote here what I based my assertions on, an assertion I've held to for about 5 or so years.
article wrote:Do you know what a "tax expenditure" is? You can get a detailed definition at this website, but simply stated a tax expenditure is the money that you are allowed to keep when you take advantage of certain tax breaks like the home mortgage interest deduction. Senator Coburn pretty much nailed it when he opined that the phrase seems to give the impression that the government is establish its claim to everything you earn, and anything that you are allowed to keep is a tax expenditure. In other words, the government owns all wealth, but the government will expend some of its resources so that you can receive some of the benefits of your hard work.
I bolded the appropriate section. Now, admittedly, the above does attribute the definition of a tax expenditure more along the lines of how you presented it. That not ALL take home pay is necessarily labeled a "tax expenditure", only the take home pay that results from your availing yourself of a tax credit program thats labeled a "tax expenditure".

But this does create a bit of a grey area, in that if a certain portion of MY OWN wealth is labeled as a "tax expenditure", its not too much of a stretch to imagine that, at least some politicians or fiscal experts, may operate under a preconceived notion that all wealth is of public domain. I've not found any particular quotes to support this however, so until I do, I will refrain from pursuing this particular line of reasoning.
No, that's still wrong. It's not an act of laying claim to all of your wealth. It's an act of laying claim to X% of your income, as defined by the tax code. When you take advantage of a tax credit (N%) you end up paying X-N% of your income. When everybody takes advantage of it the tax expenditure is the cumulative amount of -N% that the government has lost, measured in actual dollars. That's how we figure out that the reduced rates on long-term capital gains costs us in the neighborhood of $1T/year. That is to say: if the tax code did not include reduced rates for long-term capital gains, but was otherwise identical to the tax code we have today, the government would collect nearly a trillion dollars more each year in taxes.

That's not anything close to saying that the government owns all wealth. I can't be any clearer than this. You frame it in absurd terms: that the government gives you a discount does not, by any "stretch," have anything to do with imagining that some portion of YOUR OWN wealth is of the public domain. We're talking about a method of balancing budget.

When Nissan determines what promotions its going to offer, do you presume to tell them that they're bordering on theft when they plan it into their annual budget? After all, the cash back or subsidized interest rate you accept as a deal on the new car is in their budget as an expenditure, and so a PORTION of YOUR OWN WEALTH is considered to be an expenditure on their balance sheet, as it's money you haven't given them. There is a strain of economic thought that places all wealth in the "public domain," and one can find some amount of logic in it even without agreeing with it, but regardless: that strain of economic thought has literally nothing to do with the phrase "tax expenditure."

telcoman

We need to see 10 years of both Romney and Ryan's tax returns

Only then can we begin the necessary reforms in the tax code
It pisses me off to no end that Romney pays a lower tax rate than I do and he is worth over 1/2 billion dollars

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

telcoman wrote:We need to see 10 years of both Romney and Ryan's tax returns

Only then can we begin the necessary reforms in the tax code
It pisses me off to no end that Romney pays a lower tax rate than I do and he is worth over 1/2 billion dollars
:rotfl The fact that you have such a bad case of "class envy" makes me happy.

Maybe you should have studied harder, stayed in school, started a business, or invented something useful.

Blaming an individual for complying with the tax code is laughable.

Did you work for a living? I assume the CEO of the company you worked for took advantage of the same tax code benefits - why aren't you raging against him/her?

Again, I point out that your 401K should be donated to the lower class. King Obama says you didn't earn that. :biggrin:

telcoman

We are talking about someone running for POTUS and what they may be hiding in offshore bank accounts to avoid paying US taxes

The super rich abusing loopholes in the tax code is a topic that needs to be addressed to close our budget deficit

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Howie, I don't think there's enough money lost to offshore bank accounts each year for that to really matter. Sure, we can talk about it, but focusing on it to the exclusion of focusing on other budget-balancing revenue measures (like raising capital gains rates, reducing or eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction, etc.) is not helping.

telcoman

I agree but we need to start at the top with the wealthy and go from there.

Warren Buffet's secretary should not be paying a higher tax rate than her boss

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

If you propose to start at the top with the wealthy, you're going to get people like Greg and Stebo calling you a communist and telling you you're jealous of successful people, and then where are you?

Propose a list of things. Eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction would be an incredibly progressive act, so lead with that, because it also hits the middle class, and it demonstrates that you're serious. If there are other deductions to be addressed, go for them, too, but at least try to avoid setting yourself up for the inevitable attacks.

telcoman

Greg has been calling me all kinds of names and saying terrible things about me for years.
Greg thought McCain/Palin were going to be elected four years ago

I think the desert heat has warped his brain

stebo0728

telcoman wrote:We are talking about someone running for POTUS and what they may be hiding in offshore bank accounts to avoid paying US taxes

The super rich abusing loopholes in the tax code is a topic that needs to be addressed to close our budget deficit
Lets also address another big misconception most people have about capital gains. Capital gains taxes area secondary tax, not a primary tax. Tax has been paid on the original income that was then used to purchase whatever holdings are now qualifying for capital gains. If someone decides to invest internationally, in an interest that would not be taxed as stiffly as domestically, if at all, thats not un-American, and its not tax avoidance. Also, capital gains tax affects profits made on investments, and are due upon sale of the interest that increased in value. Therefore, that tax is payed out of some pool of money thats already been taxed once, either by income tax, or by some capital gain that was taxed, so you've really got a recirculation of wealth, that's being taxed at every turn. Its just smart business to remove a portion of capital out of such a system if possible. Grow a pair of balls big enough to pass a consumption tax and all this headache and wishwashy tax business goes away. There's one tax, you know what it its, and you decide whether or not to pay it based on whether or not you purchase. Simple as that.

telcoman

It appears that Romney is abusing the US tax system and we need to see 10 years of his tax returns to begin reforming our tax system.

Anyone earning over 1 million a year even if based on dividends or capital gains needs to pay over 13% in tax

stebo0728

telcoman wrote:It appears that Romney is abusing the US tax system
What do you mean "it appears". You've already convinced yourself that he has, cause that's the one thing Obama would have that he could actually hold over Romney's head. Without it, Obama is forced to run on his record. Taken a look at that lately? Id be praying Romney was a tax cheat too if I were you.

stebo0728

telcoman wrote: Greg thought McCain/Palin were going to be elected four years ago
Im sure you conviced yourself of both Gore and Kerry's victories too. Thats sorta how it goes when you have a horse in the race.

Greg is exceptionally brutal towards you at time Ill admit, but Ill be damned if you don't often live up to most of his criticisms LOL.

IBCoupe wrote: Propose a list of things. Eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction would be an incredibly progressive act, so lead with that, because it also hits the middle class, and it demonstrates that you're serious. If there are other deductions to be addressed, go for them, too, but at least try to avoid setting yourself up for the inevitable attacks.
I'm all for ending mortgage interest deductions, honestly I'm for ending ALL deductions. Of course first and foremost I am a FairTax, or an equivalent consumption tax plan, but I laid out a list before on how I could sign on for a revised income tax:
me wrote:
1. That a super majority is required to make ANY changes to the rate, or to add any future sorts of loopholes or exemptions. Id prefer that NONE were ever added, but we can't control future generations, only make it very tough for them to implement the changes.

2. We need to keep some sort of standard deduction system, for EVERYONE, this insures that taxation is removed from those that can't pay both taxes and living expenses. Standard deduction is how we currently handle this, and the FairTax handles it with the prebate. The standard deduction should not be a political tool, it should be tied to some sort of metric, perhaps the same as the FairTax prebate, the average income at the poverty line. It should also not be any greater than 100% of this metric, we dont need to create a buffer zone of free loaders in between the extremely poor, and the moderately wealthy.

3. The tax should be in the form of a bill, not a withholding. Withholding is a tool for masking the reality of taxation, and allows for easier manipulation. It doesn't necessarily have to be an annual bill, it could be bi-annually, or maybe even quarterly, but it HAS to be a bill. People need to KNOW what they are paying in taxes, not just what they are getting back after cashing in the interest free loan they gave the government all year. The private sector could set up an escrow system that people could take advantage of if they choose, or they could create their own escrow and reap their own interest.

4. The standard deduction should be the ONLY deduction, no mortgage interest, no daycare, no tuition or office supplies deductions, no itemizations period, and we have to end refundable tax credits like the EIC. I dont mind poor people having their tax liability zeroed out, but to get money out of the deal to boot, that has to stop.

5. No imputing income in order to increase tax liability. Im not sure that we actually do this now, but I know its been discussed heavily in the past, such as imputed income for home owners who are mortgage free. Whether we do it now or not, we have to be sure we DONT do it with the new plan.

6. Income taxes for businesses go away. They don't pay them anyway, we do. All income tax should come from individuals only. This would decrease the cost of living, and would further aid lower income families who would fall under the standard deduction anyway.

7. Capital gains stops being a separate tax. Any capital gains get written in on the income tax forms, and taxed same as any other income source.
A revised thought I had regarding #1. I think instead of a super majority for changes, rather requiring 2/3 of all states to ratify any change would be a better way to go.

stebo0728

IBCoupe wrote:There is a strain of economic thought that places all wealth in the "public domain," and one can find some amount of logic in it even without agreeing with it, but regardless: that strain of economic thought has literally nothing to do with the phrase "tax expenditure."
Here is the crux of it. I've admitted that the current connotation of "tax expenditure" is not quite as I had led myself to believe. But I believe the connection between that, and the strain of though you refer to above, to be linked more than you, though now that opinion lies more in the realm of speculation than fact.

Still, I find it a bit curious that tax credits are handled this way, or described this way, rather than just being labeled as a reduction in revenue.

AZhitman
Administrator

telcoman wrote:I agree but we need to start at the top with the wealthy and go from there.

All hat, no horse. Without a plan, you're just envious. And cranky.

If you understood how the tax code works, you wouldn't regurgitate such simplistic, Sesame Street summations (like "offshore bank accounts" or the Buffett example).

Plus, you're grasping at straws with your "million dollars a year" number. Is that how the uninformed determine who's "rich"? Just checking, so I know what to shoot for. ;)

p.s. When Buffett's secretary employs anyone, let me know.

p.p.s. I don't have a horse in this race (or the prior one). I've said it umpteen times, they both suck... hard-line adherents to EITHER of the two parties are pathetically inept.

p.p.p.s. Greg's never said anything about you that you didn't walk into with both Velcro-strapped shoes. :cry:

stebo0728

telcoman wrote:I agree but we need to start at the top with the wealthy and go from there.

Did you miss the note where Obama paid a lower tax rate than his secretary? Then you also missed the point I made where that sort of detail is inconsequential, because in raw dollars he paid twice her salary in taxes! But then isn't he supposed to be the champion of a progressive tax system? But he didn't do anything illegal, he went by the code in place. Same as Romney. If you want to demonize Romney for not paying progressive taxes, you need to hit up your dear ruler as well.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

stebo0728 wrote:
Lets also address another big misconception most people have about capital gains. Capital gains taxes area secondary tax, not a primary tax. Tax has been paid on the original income that was then used to purchase whatever holdings are now qualifying for capital gains. Simple as that.
If you're pro-Obama you don't understand this. If you're pro-Obama you don't think people should be able to invest their money successfully without "sharing" their "fair" share. Fair would be taxing people at the same rate they were initially. God forbid you want to invest for your retirement.

If you're pro-Obama you don't mind spending 4 billion a day in interest on the National Debt. In fact, you're so ok with it, you want to spend more! Like the Transportation bill some silly Libs like to talk about. Or the Green energy jobs Obama likes to tote around as some kind of great idea. Hello, they cost about a million bucks each.

By 2020, which is only 8 years away for you pro-Obama guys, we'll be paying 1 trillion a year in interest. Can you fools even grasp that? We only take in 2.2 trillion annually.

If you're pro-Obama you're all for taking from me and giving to someone that doesn't work.

If you're pro-Obama you don't think others are allowed to have a contrasting opinion.

telcoman

WDRacing wrote: If you're pro-Obama you don't mind spending 4 billion a day in interest on the National Debt. In fact, you're so ok with it, you want to spend more! Like the Transportation bill some silly Libs like to talk about. Or the Green energy jobs Obama likes to tote around as some kind of great idea. Hello, they cost about a million bucks each.
Where were you when Bush ran up this huge debt for unpaid for wars and an unpaid for Medicare Part D gift to the drug companies and over payments under Medicare Advantage.

Why was there no outcry from the right when Bush gave the rich tax cuts and blew threw the budget surplus

Trickle down doesn't work and hopefully we won't get fooled again

Telcoman

WDRacing

Here's your problem Howie, I've always said we need to shut off the wars. After all, I'm a vet of 2 foriegn wars myself. I wonder every day why the mainstream media isn't talking about Afganistan. Trickle down has zip to do with paying 10 billion a week RIGHT NOW, in interest alone. The only way to fix the economy is to stop spending, to include the damn wars.

Obama's plan continues spending and doesn't shutoff the wars. His record is awful when it comes to spending, that is just an ugly fact.

stebo0728

telcoman wrote:...and an unpaid for Medicare Part D gift to the drug companies and over payments under Medicare Advantage...
I would bet my left nut (dont need either anymore anyway) that if Romney were to run on a platform that included repealing Medicare Part D, you're instinctual outcry would be "ROMNEY WANTS TO TAKE AWAY MEDICATION FOR SENIORS"

telcoman

WDRacing wrote:Here's your problem Howie, I've always said we need to shut off the wars. After all, I'm a vet of 2 foriegn wars myself. I wonder every day why the mainstream media isn't talking about Afganistan. Trickle down has zip to do with paying 10 billion a week RIGHT NOW, in interest alone. The only way to fix the economy is to stop spending, to include the damn wars.

Obama's plan continues spending and doesn't shutoff the wars. His record is awful when it comes to spending, that is just an ugly fact.
Well it is a problem but not really my problem.
It is a problem that our elected officials should be capable of solving
You can't just blame Obama for the fiscal mess that he was handed by the previous administration
I am a veteran also having spent 2 years back when the draft was in use.
I saw plenty of wasteful military spending
Stopping spending can lead us into another severe recession.
We have plenty of roads, bridges, water treatment plants, crumbling schools, tunnels that need to be taken care of with over 23 million people out of work
The problem with republicans is they only want to spend and give tax cuts to run up the debt when they hold the presidency. Then they want the middle class and poor to pay for their out of control spending and complain about the debt when democrats force them out of office.

You do recall that when republicans refused to raise the debt ceiling last year it caused our debt instrument interest rates to rise.
You can thank the republicans for raising the cost of our debt.
Last edited by telcoman on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WDRacing

Not just blaming Obama Howie. I know Bush was a toolbag to the 10 power. Bush isn't in office. Obama is. Obama is up for reelection, Bush isn't.

When the ship is off course, you can't blame the dude that used to drive the ship. I don't blindly follow the GOP. I follow what my own personal code of ethics and morale's. Right now, as we speak/read, the ship is heading for the rocks and it's taking on water. Congress is broke, the POTUS and his policies are boring bigger holes in the boat and there isn't anyone at the damn helm.

I'm not pro-Romney, but ffs, I'm definitley anti Obama. I can only go with the record. His record sucks in a big way.

We have to stop spending Howie. We don't have any choice, we're friggin broke. 10 Billion a week in interest alone man. Entitlements and War, both have made our future very bleak. We can't stay the course, or the country will simply become like Greece.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

stebo0728 wrote:Still, I find it a bit curious that tax credits are handled this way, or described this way, rather than just being labeled as a reduction in revenue.
It's a matter of accountability, Stebo. A reduction in revenue can be involuntary, for example, as it was in the most recent recession. That's why our deficits skyrocketed - not because government spending increased by a dramatic amount, but because revenues collapsed.

On the other hand, when the government decides to give a carve-out for some special interest* or another in the tax code, that's the same as handing a pile of cash to that special interest. It's that much less money that the government has to spend on other projects. It's a budget item like any other.

* In the case of the home mortgage interest tax deduction, the special interest at issue is the construction industry.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

WDRacing wrote:
stebo0728 wrote:Lets also address another big misconception most people have about capital gains. Capital gains taxes area secondary tax, not a primary tax. Tax has been paid on the original income that was then used to purchase whatever holdings are now qualifying for capital gains. Simple as that.
If you're pro-Obama you don't understand this.
Or you understand the argument and reject it. That kind of thinking would have all income be secondary. After all, suppose that 500 people, including me, buy flowers for our wives, all with net-income (read: already paid my taxes), and the florist then pays her employees with all the money we've given her. Guess who pays taxes then? There is no "secondary tax."

But you know what's the most idiotic thing about Stebo's argument? This:

1. You can only be subject to the tax if you make money off of your investment. If you make no money off your investment, you pay no tax. If you lose money off your investment, you get a tax deduction!
2. Your return is only taxed to the extent that it exceeds your basis in the investment itself.

Now, I think a reduced rate on long-term capital gains serves a very good policy goal, but it's pants-on-head retarded to suppose that it's double-taxation. Then you're not advocating for a reduced rate on income earned by long-term capital investment, you're advocating for NO tax rates on income earned by long-term capital investment. If you sell your capital investment for exactly what you paid for it, you pay absolutely no tax on it whatsoever, because you haven't received any income. I don't care who you support politically - to think anything else demonstrates that you have absolutely no understanding of the tax code. I'll illustrate:

Suppose that I, your employer, hand you a $50 paycheck and offer you a choice between $50 more, or a share of Globocorp, now trading at $50. You take the first $50 and the share. You pay income taxes on the $50. Then, a year and one day later, you sell your Globocorp share for $75.00. You spent nothing to get that share, and so your basis in it is $0. By all accounts, I, your employer, gave you $125.00 as compensation. You earned $125.00 in income. But because the government wants you and all your friends make long-term investments, we're going to say that you only have to pay 15% on that income, instead of whatever rate you would have paid if I, your employer, simply handed you $125.00.

Suppose instead that I give you $100. You pay taxes on that, and then you buy that $50 share of Globocorp, and a year later you sell it. You still earned $125.00 from the money I gave you. But notice how you're not paying any more tax on the $50 you spent - only on the difference between what you sold it for and what you bought it for. Only that $25.00.

It doesn't matter whether you bought the stock out of your salary or received it as an option to buy from your employer: if you make money, generally it's going to be called "income," and generally, it's going to be taxed as income because that's how we collect taxes in this country.
WDRacing wrote:If you're pro-Obama you don't think people should be able to invest their money successfully without "sharing" their "fair" share. Fair would be taxing people at the same rate they were initially. God forbid you want to invest for your retirement.
If "investing your money successfully" means "earning income," then yeah you shouldn't be able to do so without paying income taxes.
WDRacing wrote:If you're pro-Obama you don't mind spending 4 billion a day in interest on the National Debt. In fact, you're so ok with it, you want to spend more!
Oh, I get it. You're a troll.
Last edited by IBCoupe on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Politics Etc.”