Pathfinder.... VQ35DE GURUS!

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Toyojay
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.5L 4X4

I've got a 2001 Pathfinder, was going to fix it up a bit but it just needs to much to be worth it but it runs really well. Have decided to part it out, I've been looking around the net at other forums for information on the motor, but everything pertains to the "new" VQ35. I keep reading that the early PF VQ's were just like the VQ30 and has it's own set of heads different than the rest of the VQ35. Does anybody have any more information about this motor and if it's worth doing anything with?

I want to keep the motor, engine harness, dash harness, and ECU...anything else I should keep? It has a cable TB so no need for the gas pedal. Figured I could pick up a 240SX or a Miata or something to drop it in. The car DOES have a chip in the key, so I guess I'd need to keep the ignition too. Should I keep the BCM (if it has one)?

I read you can swap the cam gears, inner and outer timing covers, timing chain, and add a couple of spacers to disable the VTC on the engine, allowing a VQ30 ECU to work from a 95-98 Maxima. Thus not needing the key, and BCM..right? If the early "old" VQ35 is so similar to the VQ30, does it actually have a different timing set up and VTC? Or did that not change until the 04+ ?

If the above does apply, can one get the timing covers, and cam gears...etc off of a motor while its in the car? I'd probably be pulling that stuff from a VQ30 in the boneyard. If I use a maxima ECU, do I need that cars wiring harness and dash harness too? Or would my PF harness work?

Also, what about the intake on this motor? It appears the intake manifold I have only came on the PF/QX. Is it any good flow wise, or should I ditch it in favor of a 350z intake? OR a VQ30 intake? if its so similar to the VQ30. I read a little bit about the "00vi" VQ30 manifold swap. Would any of these options be worth looking into?

Appreciate any info guys!

Toyojay

Toyojay

Bump

Toyojay

:bump:

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”