Pastrami - homemade - incredible.

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

So things are weird right now. There is a lot on everyone’s mind. Time to talk about something fun.

Pastrami. While it is one of my favorite meats, there is a world of difference between good pastrami, and mediocre pastrami. Good pastrami is like eating slices of heaven. There are very few things I enjoy more than a pastrami sandwich. Tasty, juicy, flavored just right. Some good bread (I don’t like rye that much) I prefer Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, lightly toasted, Mayo, horseradish, some alfalfa and clover sprouts, butter lettuce and some sweet/hot pickles. That’s my go to with pastrami. It has to be sliced super thin, but not so thin it becomes mush.
I understand that this is a blasphemy sandwich, but damn, it sure is tasty.

I do pretty well in the kitchen, the foods I cook are always pretty tasty, and everyone else thinks they’re amazing. I understand basic chemistry and I very much understand food chemistry and what causes foodborne illness.

Prague #1. This is essential. I wouldn’t consider making pastrami without this. Many call this pink salt, but it’s not the Himalayan pink salt. This is regular salt with 6.25% sodium nitrate. This is critical to use as it kills bacteria such as botulism, e-coli, and salmonella. Specifically it is used to kill botulism, but the death of the others is just a nice side effect.

***Using the correct amount is pretty critical. I would suggest you do your own research and decide on the correct amount for your recipe.

Also, here’s a fun science fact. Pastrami isn’t pink in the middle because it’s rare. Pastrami is brisket, which needs to cook to 190°-200° to break down the connective tissues and make it tender. If you don’t cook it to those temps, it’ll be chewy and tough.
The pink color doesn’t come from the dye in Prague #1. The dye is only in there so you don’t mistakenly salt your dinner with it and make yourself very ill.
No, the pink color comes from the nitrite reacting with the myoglobin and hemoglobin present in the trapped red blood cells, eventually producing nitric oxide myoglobin.

Special shout out to my brother Stewart. He guides me through some culinary adventures. Best friend of 40 years, and a true culinary genius. Thank you brother, you are my culinary mentor.

So I stopped at Costco and picked up a small brisket. My brine is as follows:
9qt water
15oz kosher salt
3oz Prague #1
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar packed
1/2 - 3/4 c honey
The rest I did approx measurements
Allspice whole 1 tbsp
Cloves whole 1-2 tbsp
Black mustard seed 1 tbsp
Yellow mustard seed 1 tbsp
Rainbow peppercorns 2 tbsp
Black peppercorns 2 tbsp
Coriander seed whole 2 tbsp
5 large bay leafs
4 Pequin chiles

I heated half the water with the salts and sugars and spices. Brought to a boil to make sure everything dissolved. The other half of the water I measured the container with ice and then filled the gaps with water. That way the brine was instantly cooled. Placed in the fridge to chill.

At that point I broke down the brisket. This is pretty easy to do, but since my hands were a mess, I didn’t take pics. The whole brisket is two muscles. Take your thumb and push it between the muscles. You can start to separate the muscles with your thumb. This should give you a clean line that you can see. Now take a very sharp knife and start to cut the connective tissues. Go slow, and just cut a little at a time. You only want to cut sinue and fat. If you’re seeing red meat, you lost your line. Keep at it and you’ll end up with two nice pieces of meat.

The top muscle has a large and beautiful section that I cut off at an angle so that all the pieces stayed relatively equal in thickness.

Place the meat in the brine and let it soak for six days. I used some heavy bowls to hold down the meat so it didn’t float. I flipped it daily and repositioned it so that it was always getting a new side to the brine.

Now six days has passed and out of the brine she is. I dried it off with some paper towels and discarded the spices stuck to it.

Seasoning:
2 parts ground coriander
1 part coarse black pepper

I have coated the brisket with a generous amount of seasoning and will let it rest and warm while sitting on the kitchen counter for two hours.

I’ll set the smoker to 180° and smoke it for about 5 hours. From there I’ll transfer to a roasting Pan with some water, onions and celery, wrap it super tight and and braise until the internal temp reaches 195°. It’ll rest for two hours after that before I slice it.

Day Three of Brining

This morning

And three hours of smoking. God this smells delicious. I wish we had smello-posting. I wish I could share the smells with you guys.

Side note, while it was smoking, I drove to every store that sells pots and pans in Cottonwood AZ. I was hoping by some miracle I would find a good Dutch oven. I did not. I found some Lodge, but they were small. So yeah, the three stores that sell these items: Walmart, Fry’s grocery, and Ace Hardware.
I never thought I would say this, but I want a Home goods, Bed Bath Beyond, Marshall’s (they have good deals on La Creuset cookware).

So now it will braise. There an onion, celery, and some thyme sprigs. The French training is hard to break, even when making Jewish meat.

It is sealed tight in its sarcophagus. I use Saran Wrap to keep the moisture in. It’s only set to 275° convection, so the plastics won’t melt. If you’re going to get all hippie on me and tell me that baking plastic, yada yada yada, don’t bother. I smoked cigs for 27 years. I’m not worried. And I quit smoking.

So this is on its way to becoming something.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment.

So the pastrami is done..

I made some Brussel sprouts too. Olive oil, balsamic, maple syrup, salt pepper, roasted.

Now, the pastrami. Holy s***. I’m in disbelief. I should have payots and a hat. Spinning a dreidel. (No offense to our Jewish members, trying to be funny).

This is the best pastrami I have ever had. Now I haven’t been to Katz’s deli, but I am a pastrami connoisseur. I don’t say my s*** is better because I have cooked it. I’m hyper-critical of my cooking. Like super-hyper-critical. I f*** outdid myself tenfold what I thought I was capable of. This has to go down as one of the top three meals I have cooked in my house, ever. I’m still in disbelief at how good this is. f*** hell mate. Amazing.

Here are some pics of the gloriousness.

f*** brussel sprouts. Who cares about those...

Beancooker

And my account wasn’t hacked. James, you drank a mango chelada at Greg and Bex’s anniversary after I left. Sorry bro.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

The best time to buy real ground Horseradish is around the Jewish new year time. You will find Kosher horseradish without cream or other adulterants. Read the label, and look for the Kosher certification on the label. Typically it contains ground Horseradish and vinegar or Hydrochloric acid for bleaching and color retention.

Self grinding is best but a real chore.

Beancooker

Mike, I used to self grind, but I just don’t have it in me anymore. I found fresh ground horseradish from Silver Springs Foods. It’s as close to home ground as I have had. It’ll make me choke if I put it on a cracker.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

The best self grind tool would be what the Japanese use for wasabi. A piece of shark skin.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Beancooker wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:30 pm
And my account wasn’t hacked. James, you drank a mango chelada at Greg and Bex’s anniversary after I left. Sorry bro.
:rotfl
I'll take your word for it.
That pastrami looks great though. How'd the wife like it?

Jesda

Can we get some glistening macro closeups with soft lighting?

For science.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Very impressive, but far too much work for me.. I'm used to instant gratification when it comes to pastrami. Growing up in northeastern NJ, I was spoiled as far as deli's, having easy access to both NJ's best pastrami (Harold's Deli), and NYC's best (Katz deli). I live farther south now, but I can still get to Harold's in about an hour if I get a yen for it. (burrrp).

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Beancooker!! How's things, dude!!

That looks amazing, to say the least.
I applaud your detail and the pictures.

I now really want a pastrami sandwich. There aren't too many places in my area that sells a good sammich.

Return to “General Chat”