Passenger side CV shaft removal

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Hoser
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL 6spd M/T

Hello, I have an '08 Versa with the s speed manual, and am in the midst of some overdue as well as some preventative maintenance. Particularly replacing the front wheel bearings, rotors, caliper rebuilds, cv shafts, oil seals between cv shafts and differential, control arms and ball joints.
To make a long story as short as possible; all was going as well as could be expected working on a 13 year old Canadian car until I tried to remove the passenger side cv shaft. There is a carrier bearing on the shaft mounted in an aluminum bracket between the inboard tulip and differential. Apparently these or notorious for having the bearing seize to the aluminum bracket due to weather induced corrosion. I removed the retaining plate on the outboard side of the bracket but I wasn't having any luck with the pry bars so I purchased a cv removal tool (basically a fork that fits behind the inboard tulip and attaches to a slide hammer). Still no dice. So I did some research and quite often folks have to remove the entire bracket with the cv shaft as a whole then separate the two in a press, ok no problem I thought. The bracket is located on the casing with four bolts and two dowels and I've ensured the dowels are disengaged by placing a shim between the bracket and the dowels... Lol, still no dice. :facepalm: So I've tried rotating the cv shaft to see if possible there are two internal splines that must line up to allow the shaft to be removed, surprise... no effect. :nono: I even went up to a 10lb slide hammer :rotflmao and you guessed it, nada!
I know the drivers side shaft was held in place by a split spring ring on the end of the male splines, but it wasn't difficult to remove. So even if there is a split spring ring on the end of the passenger side shaft, it should've compressed under the load of the slide hammer.

Does anyone have any experience removing a passenger side CV shaft from an '08 with manual tranny that could enlighten me? My next step would be to either get a bigger slide hammer :bs: or cut the shaft inboard of the carrier bearing and weld a nut onto the end of it and use the slide hammer directly on the shaft with the bearing and bracket out of the way :lolling:

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

How about spraying the troublesome bolt with some silicone spray to see if that'll begin to loosen it up?

Hoser
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL 6spd M/T

2019Versafan wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:25 pm
How about spraying the troublesome bolt with some silicone spray to see if that'll begin to loosen it up?
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it's the inboard (drive side) of the cv shaft that doesn't want to pull out of the differential. All the hardware is out and as far as I know there's only a spring clip on the end of the shaft that would be preventing it from coming out, but I'm thinking it must be deformed somehow because there was a spring clip on the drivers side cv shaft as well and with just a touch of leverage it slid right out...

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

I think I would still try some silicone spray on that clip. I recently sprayed the squeaky door hinges on both of the front doors on my Versa with silicone spray and it stopped the squeaking so I'm thinking it just might loosen up your clip. I'm thinking it might be worth a try at this point since nothing else has worked. Just my 2 cents.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

2019Versafan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 am
I think I would still try some silicone spray on that clip. I recently sprayed the squeaky door hinges on both of the front doors on my Versa with silicone spray and it stopped the squeaking so I'm thinking it just might loosen up your clip. I'm thinking it might be worth a try at this point since nothing else has worked. Just my 2 cents.
The clip the OP is talking about is on the end of the splined shaft section inside the diff. It can't be reached with lubricant. I've seen deformed ones that just about needed a wrecking ball to pull out.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”