passenger rear wheel getting extremely hot!???

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
foxracing31702

my neighbor has a 06 g35 sedan, RWD, for some reason the rear passenger wheel gets so hot even if you touch the wheel, it burns you. he checkd the other wheels and no other ones are doing it....what could this be? the car only has 40K on it also

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

Sounds like a sticking parking brake...

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

his car probably pulls right. not too long ago my right rear caliper stuck. got it replaced under warranty. Thats more than likely the issue.

kpodj61240
Car: S14 Zenki

imop it would deff be a stuck caliper. if it was the e brake both should be hot. you could try bleeding them but i dont know if that would make the piston free agian

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

kpodj61240 wrote:imop it would deff be a stuck caliper. if it was the e brake both should be hot. you could try bleeding them but i dont know if that would make the piston free agian
If the 'G' is like many cars the parking brake is a drum type of brake and can be prone to not fully disengaging on one side only. I would remove the wheel and try to spin the hub and see if you have contact with a disc brake pad. If not then you could be down to a couple of problems. One being the parking brake, another being a bearing. And the fact is, if this has been going on for awhile, then a parking brake problem could now have become a bearing issue as well.

Perry

kpodj61240
Car: S14 Zenki

oooo well if is a drum brake. (i didn't know that) i recently had this problem on a kia sophia i changed pads on. there is a cylinder with pistons on both sides well one of them were stuck and would not allow to the pad to come all the way back in so id was rubbing against. but see u guys keep saying the parking brake. its only one wheel thats getting hot. and i think the guy would have checked the parking brake first. p

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

kpodj61240 wrote:oooo well if is a drum brake. (i didn't know that) i recently had this problem on a kia sophia i changed pads on. there is a cylinder with pistons on both sides well one of them were stuck and would not allow to the pad to come all the way back in so id was rubbing against. but see u guys keep saying the parking brake. its only one wheel thats getting hot. and i think the guy would have checked the parking brake first. p
A typical parking brake has a single cable that starts at the parking brake actuator. At some point this splits into two parts one for each rear wheel. Often times when someone checks this they simply check the slack on the cable which tells you next to nothing if the problem is in the hub assembly.

You should be able to get a good hint if you find clearance on the disc brake pads.

Perry

Bama35x
Car: 2006 G35x
1994 Mustang GT

Good afternoon NiCO club...new infinity owner...1st issue with car. I am in the military and went to the auto craft shop to change the oil and rotate the tires. Oil is draining and wheels are being rotated from front to rear. About 2 days later i notice a vibration in the car after eveything has warmed up...first thought was the the wheels on the front are out of balance. I pull upto a shop to get the front 2 wheels checks and i smell something. I go to each tire and when i get the the passenger rear tire i can feel the heat coming off of it! Car seems to drive fine but after about 10 minutes it gets hot and that vibration i feel must be the back wheel getting hot...any ideas? Thank you!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO- congrats on your new Infiniti!

Can you give us a little more information to help you out?
What model and year are the car? Aftermarket wheels, or stock?
They might be staggered sizes and not be swapable from front to back.
You can check your wheel bearings, too. Jack that particular wheel off the ground and gripping the tire/wheel on the top and bottom, see if you can rock it in to out. If there is a lot of play, you may have a failing wheel bearing.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

You possibly could have sticking brake caliper.Get the back wheels off the ground and make sure they turn freely.

Bama35x
1994 Mustang GT

My bad guys...2006 inifinity G35X (111k) Sedan, auto, stock wheels, standard tires no mods yet! Driver side rear wheel is no issue...just the passenger rear tire. Will be taking teh car to the auto craft shop tomorrow to put on lift and see what the problem is. Sorry about the lack of info on the 1st post and thank you for your input.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

No problemo! We're always glad to help here!
Ben made a very good suggestion about the brake caliper potentially sticking. Definitely worth investigating!

Let us know how your situation evolves!

Bama35x
1994 Mustang GT

I just printed alot of the PFD files that pertain to the brake system...i noticed that there is a warning at the top of each section about the SRS (supplemental Restraint system)...could something in that system make the e-brake grab like in an emergency situation? I printed the whole chapter on SRS and will be reading it tonight. Thanks again for the assistance if nothing else the PDF manual!!

Bama35x
1994 Mustang GT

Ddid your neighbor ever figure out what was making his wheel heat up? I am having the issue with my 06 AWD Sedan!

Bama35x
1994 Mustang GT

Took my 06 infinity to the auto repair shop and figured out that my brake caliper was stuck. Use c-clamp to loosen it and the wheel spun freely. Took car for a short test ride and it was stuck again. Picked up new brake caliper from carquest but ended up having to use the original bracket with the new piston because the new bracket was no where close to lining up. All in all easy job and successful.. carquest part # 19-B2793.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Glad you figured out the problem. It does happen but not that often. I've only had it happen to a '93 Probe GT I owned...lol

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”