Passenger Door won't open

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MarcialC
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

Daughter says her friend replaced bolts on passenger door latch. bolts were a little longer than stock, and now door won't open from either handle. how can i get the door open to replace bolts with the proper size?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Aargh, good luck. Don't shoot the messenger, but those screws go straight into the body of the lock and it's probably broken:

13 Rogue Door Lock.jpg
13 Rogue Door Lock.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 495 times
I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that the cam is jammed and no amount of fiddling will release it, so it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll need to destroy the lock assembly. If you can get the trim panel off the inside of the door without cutting, you can usually remove the glass and the window regulator panel to gain enough room to chisel the lock apart. I use a 6 lb hand sledge and a canted 24" prybar with a sharpened tip. I don't recall ever doing it on a gen1 Rogue, so I can't tell you whether it's possible to get the trim panel off. On some models the corner of the dash covers up the front of the trim panel and there's no way to get it off without cutting it. Either way, remove the seat through the rear door (or at least tilt it back if it won't fit) so you'll have room to work. Then remove the lower B-pillar trim, it should pull free even with the door closed. Once the trim panel screws are out, if the front of the panel looks like it will clear the dash, having the B-pillar trim off will let you get plastic prybars underneath the back edge of the panel so you can gradually pop the plastic retainers loose from back to front. Take a look at these parts drawings so you can get an idea of how everything attaches:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... mming.html
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... tting.html

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Tell the "friend" for future reference that you never, ever work on any cam lock -- door, hood, trunk, anything -- without rolling the cam by hand and testing the release before you try to close it. The simplest of measures will prevent ton lots of heartache.

MarcialC
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

Thanks for the info. I was dreading having to break it, but this will teach her to take things to her friend. Especially since not only will I have to fix it, I'll be paying for it too.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

MarcialC wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:16 am
Thanks for the info. I was dreading having to break it, but this will teach her to take things to her friend. Especially since not only will I have to fix it, I'll be paying for it too.
Insanity is hereditary, right? You get it from your kids. :mad:

Return to “Rogue Forum”