parts prices

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
datsunexcells

Finding parts for our vintage Datsuns is a challenge; finding them at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I took a few items to a plating shop to get them chromed, last thursday. Aside from the 150 miles, one way, to find someone to refinish the items, the cost to do so, was a shocker. I brought in my bumperettes ($290) 2 headlight trim pieces ($250) and a glove box handle/lock ($30). The only things I left to get plated, were the bumperettes. Those of you who live in more populated areas probably have better options in regard to price, because of the number of plating shops available, and competition. This makes some of the NOS parts prices seem more reasonable. If any members have any experience with plating shops in your area, let the rest of us know. John

DanielC

Chrome plating is one of those things that has been deemed very environmentally unfriendly.  A lot of plating shops have been forced out of business. 
    Chrome plating done right involves cleaning the part in question, and copper plating it.  The copper plate is then polished, usually by hand.  The part is then nickel plated, and again polished, (by hand).  Finally, the part is chrome plated, and polished again.  The process is very labor intensive, and not farmed out overseas, like most American jobs have been. 
    The price of the raw metals have gone up in price dramatically. 
    Take all these factors into account, and you can start to see why getting anything chrome plated is not cheap.

71-521

on the bumperettes, why didn't you buy a set from that guy in thialand?
he's been selling them for 200 new (99 starting bid plus shipping) on ebay...
I've seen him sell 5 sets so far and the most he got for a set was 135 plus the shipping...the last one went for 109...
here's his latest set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-5 ... 3761QQrdZ1

datsunexcells

71-521, Thanks for the information. I've been watching eBay, but didn't notice  those. It would probably save me a few bucks to buy them, but I think there's other members out there, that might want them , as opposed to a step bumper. I already had the bumperettes, so I figured that I'd have them rechromed. It would mean that there would be one less bidder pushing the price up. If any one needs a drawing of the original mounting brackets for the bumperettes, I'll  make one up, and try to post it.  I learned one thing from having a step bumper on my second 521 Pick-up; the small clearances between the bumper and the taillights, can lead to broken lenses. Thanks again, for the info. John

Victor Laury

Find a better chrome shop! Most will ship. I recommend "The Bumper Shop Inc." (Google for more info) you ship it to them and they ship it back fininshed. No more schelping 150 mile each way.

dat521gatherer

yes datsunexcells please post a drawing/pic of the brackets. thats one reason i havent been interested in those ebay ones. i have a pretty good idea of what they look like and am sure they're easy to make but a good drawing would keep the idea fresh in my mind. when your not busy, no hurry

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”