Parking brake getting slack

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

On my 1997 Pathfinder the hand brake continues to get loose several weeks after adjusting drums. I go back and adjust the cable inside and it’s good for a little while again until it gets loose (10-12 clicks) and I cannot adjust more at the hand brake. I would have to go back again and adjust the star wheel at each drum. I know the drums are self adjusting though which is why it loosens up. Do I need new drums or is the cable the problem here?

I have the original drums on still so I can imagine it is are worn and I did notice a lip inside the last time I had it off the vehicle. I was planning on changing it anyways as I get a very slight shudder sometimes at the brake pedal only on the highway.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like your cables are a bit stretched and adjusting the drums isn't cutting it anymore. Try adjusting the cable a few turns.

A1218

I’ve adjusted the cable to the max right now and I’m getting 8-9 clicks but I cannot go anymore on that as it physically cannot tighten. If I adjust back the drums again until wheels are stiff to move by hand then I get back a lot of cable adjustment and I can adjust it to 6-7 clicks and it’s fine for a while.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ah, sorry, you said "clicks" and I thought you meant the drum adjusters. If the adjustment nut in the console is down to the end of its travel then the cables are pretty far gone. You can get a little more life out of them with a spacer or washers underneath the adjustment nut, but at some point one of the cables is likely to give up.

A1218

I tried some washers and it worked for now, but looks like the cable will have to be changed soon. Any potential issues I would run into with that project after 25 years?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Just rust, but of course that can be a significant issue depending on the degree. I'd PB Blast everything and give it a day to work before getting started.

doode
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE
3.3 V6
5 MT
383,000 km and counting

A1218 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:52 pm
I tried some washers and it worked for now, but looks like the cable will have to be changed soon. Any potential issues I would run into with that project after 25 years?
I had to remove both cables and replace the right side not too long ago. Be prepared to snap nearly all the nuts holding the cable in place.

Even with a torch, nearly every single bolt holding the cable to the lower trailing arms snapped. That was easily solved with zap straps.

Penetrating oil and a torch was a MUST for the bolts connecting the brake cable to the handle. I must have spent a good 8 mins on each one to make sure i didnt break it

good luck !

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”