Park Neutral Safety Switch issues(08 M35X)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Jooonam08
Car: '08 Infiniti M35 AWD w/ advanced tech pkg

Hello, I would like honest input regarding issues with the park neutral safety switch on infiniti M35 or 45..has anybody here had to replace the whole shifter to fix the issue after trying all options, I have that code showing up on my 08M35X.., taken it to couple mechanics and all have said there no loose wire or any lose bolts that might be causing it to act and my car only starts in neutral or P not in gear... was given a suggestion of replacing THE ECU or change the whole shifter.. not a cheap fix on any of them but I was told it might be worth a try.. has anyone else here ever experienced the same issues and how did you fix it... Your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Pardon the question but...why would you want to start the car in gear? If it's starting in N or P, it seems like normal operation to me...

Jooonam08

Ilya, I know that, as a way of troubleshooting, just to make sure that no bolts are loose on the PNS, but that's not the issue, so am still trying to figure out whether it's something to do with the ECU or just to go ahead and replace the whole shifter

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Jooonam08 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:05 am
Ilya, I know that, as a way of troubleshooting, just to make sure that no bolts are loose on the PNS, but that's not the issue, so am still trying to figure out whether it's something to do with the ECU or just to go ahead and replace the whole shifter
Sorry, I'm still not understanding what the issue here is. The car is starting in the normal conditions. I don't think ANY of my cars start in anything but P or N either - in fact they will chime at you telling you to put it into gear. This is a safety feature in order to avoid someone starting their car in drive and then accidentally ending up in a wall somewhere.

So, again, I ask...why are you troubleshooting this or looking to replace things that aren't broken? I'm unclear about that. You said you have a code? Where? Check engine light? What is the actual code number?

Jooonam08

Yes I have the code for Park Neutral Safety Switch, Yes Check Engine light is On... I am trying to get a different opinion as to what might be wrong coz like I said, I took to a couple of mechanics just to make sure that they are all coming to the same conclusion and all said that there's nothing lose or frayed wires where the PNS is, and that's why they were recommending either its the ECU that might be faulty or I could just replace the whole gear shifter to see if the light will completely go away. Even at the infiniti dealership said they couldn't see any loose, frayed wires or bolts that needed adjusting on the PNS

Ilya

What is the code? We're missing that key piece of information...

Jooonam08

P0850

Jooonam08

Ilya wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:38 am
What is the code? We're missing that key piece of information...
P0850

macgiver

You try to re-adjust the P/N Switch ( inhibitor Sw. ) there with that one , right ? First - Gotta be aligned , maybe takes care of that one ?
Did anyone do that ? Try that ? OR do it PROPERLY ?
I mean is some mechanic BullSH!&TT 'n you here ? :facepalm:

Jooonam08

macgiver wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:37 pm
You try to re-adjust the P/N Switch ( inhibitor Sw. ) there with that one , right ? First - Gotta be aligned , maybe takes care of that one ?
The mechanics that I had taken to, checked it out and they said that it didn't look like anything needed to be re-aligned.. I took it to 3 different places and I got the same answer.. so I didn't think of asking them to actually loosen the bolts and try to realign it. I might give it a try and see if it takes care of that issue but if the light comes back again then I guess it would probably mean having to replace the whole shifter column as the Park Neutral Safety Switch is attached to it.. not a cheap fix and neither is replacing the whole ECU

macgiver

Wow....OK

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
There's no real adjustment on the switch for M trannies, it's part of the Valve Body (which also contains the TCM). It's also a multi-ECU issue because the switch signal is decoded by the TCM, then signaled to the Meter-A/C Amp on a dedicated wire, then sent from the Meter-A/C Amp to the ECM on still another dedicated wire. So if it's a "transient" condition (which the fact that the car starts and indicates shift position normally suggests it is), then any of those three ECU's or two wires could be responsible. I'm not certain on an M, but it's also possible a low grade short or crossed bulb in the Reverse Lamp circuit could cause it, similar to P0705 in Nissan Versas.

Jooonam08

macgiver wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:21 pm
Wow....OK
Thats what I said too when I was quoted the price for replacing the whole column shifter and it's even way expensive if you gotta replace the ECU to take care of that problem.. I need to fix it coz hopefully in 6 months I would like to put it up for sale.. it's an 08 M35X.. Pearl(ivory) white with Tha clearcoat, Beige interior, fully loaded with the Technology pkg and advanced technology pkg(DVD,Lane departure warning, AFS headlights, VDC, Adaptive Cruise control, 5.1 Bose surround 14speakers(you should hear the sound when watching a DVD.. just like the movie theater.. it's got 194,000 miles as of now, highway driving.. when I bought it it already had at least 168,000...I ve owned it for now 2 and a half years.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See if it will erase. From what I see in Identifix, it's often one of those "come and go" sort of codes that may stay away for awhile if you expunge it. If it won't erase, then checking voltage on the signal wires should get you to the culprit fairly quickly.

Jooonam08

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:28 pm
macgiver wrote:
There's no real adjustment on the switch for M trannies, it's part of the Valve Body (which also contains the TCM). It's also a multi-ECU issue because the switch signal is decoded by the TCM, then signaled to the Meter-A/C Amp on a dedicated wire, then sent from the Meter-A/C Amp to the ECM on still another dedicated wire. So if it's a "transient" condition (which the fact that the car starts and indicates shift position normally suggests it is), then any of those three ECU's or two wires could be responsible. I'm not certain on an M, but it's also possible a low grade short or crossed bulb in the Reverse Lamp circuit could cause it, similar to P0705 in Nissan Versas.
Thanks for your input, so which simple tests would you recommend to isolate the different scenarios bf I come to a conclusion coz it's been giving me a headache trying to figure out and also how do you take care of a crossed bulb

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If a bulb has crossed filaments or you have a crummy socket, just replace the offender. It's really only the Reverse bulbs that can cause an issue. On the Versas, what usually happens is a low-grade short from moisture in the taillight between the Reverse circuit and either the Brake or Park circuit, so voltage appears on the Reverse wire whenever the brakes are used or the headlights are turned on. The TCM sees the lamp voltage but the car isn't in reverse, so it throws a code. If the TCM in the M monitors the Reverse Lamp circuit, I'd suspect something similar could occur.

The signals from the TCM and A/C Amp look like they're basically go-no-go, so both should transition predictably when you go from Park or Neutral to something else. So if the condition is repeatable, a voltmeter should tell you which leg isn't functioning. The FSM's are down right now or I'd link you to the wiring info.

Jooonam08

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:04 pm
If a bulb has crossed filaments or you have a crummy socket, just replace the offender. It's really only the Reverse bulbs that can cause an issue. On the Versas, what usually happens is a low-grade short from moisture in the taillight between the Reverse circuit and either the Brake or Park circuit, so voltage appears on the Reverse wire whenever the brakes are used or the headlights are turned on. The TCM sees the lamp voltage but the car isn't in reverse, so it throws a code. If the TCM in the M monitors the Reverse Lamp circuit, I'd suspect something similar could occur.

The signals from the TCM and A/C Amp look like they're basically go-no-go, so both should transition predictably when you go from Park or Neutral to something else. So if the condition is repeatable, a voltmeter should tell you which leg isn't functioning. The FSM's are down right now or I'd link you to the wiring info.

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 10:52 pm

I may have to go to a mechanic and let him tinker with those issues coz I am not well versed in using a voltmeter.. I will try to install new reverse light bulbs coz somewhere in the carfax history the backup lights right above the tag plates were replaced so I don't know if that's what caused the issue..I have a feeling that it's a very simple fix that's causing the code coz I am not prepared to start spending more money to replace ecu's and whole shifter columns

Alffie
Car: 2010 M35

Came on here to make a post and saw this post. I saw the engine service soon light came on on my car the same damn day. When I hooked up the obd reader, I got a p0705 code. Can one tell me what could be the culprit. I have a 2010 m35 base.

Jooonam08

Alffie wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 am
Came on here to make a post and saw this post. I saw the engine service soon light came on on my car the same damn day. When I hooked up the obd reader, I got a p0705 code. Can one tell me what could be the culprit. I have a 2010 m35 base.
I am not an expert on that but I believe you have a transmission range sensor malfunction... my M35X has park neutral safety switch code almost the same thing just different in how you fix it, I attached a screen shot of the possible fix for it but at the end of the day like I said I am not an expert, have a qualified independent mechanic look at it. Avoid taking it to the dealership as they will charge you an arm and a leg.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220215-212706.png

macgiver

#5 ..Right , FIRST you adjust that freak'in linkage - THAT'S the adjustment . Before you go buying expensive PARTS :rotflmao

Jooonam08

macgiver wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:50 pm
#5 ..Right , FIRST you adjust that freak'in linkage - THAT'S the adjustment . Before you go buying expensive PARTS :rotflmao
OK MacGyver, do you think a paper clip and some twine hack would fix that 😂😂😂

macgiver

Ah the " Old paper clip and twine trick " . Let me run that by the Chief . Chief and agent 99 say " you'll miss it by THAT MUCH " :rotflmao

Alffie
Car: 2010 M35

Jooonam08 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:32 pm
Alffie wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 am
I am not an expert on that but I believe you have a transmission range sensor malfunction... my M35X has park neutral safety switch code almost the same thing just different in how you fix it, I attached a screen shot of the possible fix for it but at the end of the day like I said I am not an expert, have a qualified independent mechanic look at it. Avoid taking it to the dealership as they will charge you an arm and a leg.
Was just reading up on it. I'll try to start the car in gears other than P or N. If it does then I'll know that's what it is. Was trying to search where its located and how to get to it, didnt find anything🙄

Jooonam08

Alffie wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:48 pm
Jooonam08 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:32 pm

Was just reading up on it. I'll try to start the car in gears other than P or N. If it does then I'll know that's what it is. Was trying to search where its located and how to get to it, didnt find anything🙄
Attachments
Screenshot_20220219-143118.png

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”