Paratrooper's build thread (pic intensive)

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

Looks like a solid setup! I'll be picking up an oil cooler soon - does the z1 come with everything needed? (new nuts/bolts/washers and -an fittings) Also, it's hard to tell from the pics but the oil cooler lines aren't silicone are they? they will sweat oil eventually if so.

A Paratroopers 300zx
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
2004 Toyota MR-S

vulcanrush wrote:congratulations, paratrooper.

beautiful build.

two questions, are those the arp l19's...i've heard you have to be careful because of moisture/corrosion, etc.

i got a set, also, and have to be careful in installing them.

also, are those dp's the expansion's or the split's?
Thank you and yes they are the ARP L19 head studs. You do want to be careful when installing them because of how they are forged and treated. You definitely don't want to store them for any length of time without an oxygen removal substance like the paper they are shipped in. Once installed, however, I believe they will be fine. The down pipes are Specialty Z's 3" 5 bolt newer expansion versions.
bartZ32 wrote:Looks like a solid setup! I'll be picking up an oil cooler soon - does the z1 come with everything needed? (new nuts/bolts/washers and -an fittings) Also, it's hard to tell from the pics but the oil cooler lines aren't silicone are they? they will sweat oil eventually if so.
Yes, the Z1 cooler comes with all necessary items. It has the mounting plate, nuts, bolts and -an fittings. The hoses were added and they are silicone, but I believe Z1 treats them with an oil resistant material. I could be wrong though. In any event, they aren't all that hard to replace with the motor in.

labcoatmonkey
Car: 1991 300zx JDM TT I miss u 01 alty

this is exciting! CourteZy bump!

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

*UPDATE*

Here are more goodies that I have been collecting and installing! The powder coating was done in Illusion Green by Unknown Coatings here in Salt Lake City. Excellent work and cheap :biggrin: The paint on the rear bumper was done by Chris's Body and Paint locally as well. Paint matched to the body panels in the factory 326 Super White with a semi-flat black diffuser. Enjoy!

legion
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Beautiful! I wish I had half of all this good stuff. I'm actually in the process of painting my TwinZ bumper right now :)

car nut
Car: GT500.

Holy s***.

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

is that 2.5'' intercooler piping's, paratrooper?

AchilleZ32
Car: 1990 Nissan Z32

:hitit:

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

legion wrote:Beautiful! I wish I had half of all this good stuff. I'm actually in the process of painting my TwinZ bumper right now :)
Haha nice man! I can't wait to see yours all done too!
vulcanrush wrote:is that 2.5'' intercooler piping's, paratrooper?
Yes, that is the black aluminum 2.5" kit from conceptzperformance.com :chuckle:

ztommyx

wow. nice!
can't wait to see it in person :dblthumb:

Phideaux
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX N/A

ztommyx wrote:wow. nice!
can't wait to see it in person :dblthumb:
This!

nghtrain88
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZXTT

looks like you have a nice project on your hands.. looks good so far man, enjoy it :)

vulcanrush

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:
Yes, that is the black aluminum 2.5" kit from conceptzperformance.com :chuckle:

what intercoolers are you running with that?

BigTDogg (MA)

That is a serious build. Legit with a capital L!

Any plans to switch to a 95+ CAS? If you're doing 95+ 740s you'll obviously need new connectors. The best way to do this, IMHO, is to get a 1995TT 5-speed harness. This has a different connection for the CAS, Fuel Injectors and Air Conditioning than the 1992 harness. You've already switched the injectors, just need to switch the CAS. The AC connection is just a single wire you can butt splice. The 1995 harness also has switched power to the injectors, to help them last longer. It's also definitely recommended to when you pull the engine just due to the age and corrosion of the original harness.

Wanted or not, IMHO, no cover on an engine like that would be foolish, no matter how good it looks in that last pic. I would hardly call the REV Imports timing gear trim cover a cover of any kind. You're taking a huge risk leaving everything exposed like that. It's pretty easy to make the stock covers look good, and your paint shop could even match them to your powdercoating work.

This build should put down a ton of useable power on the street, and could be downright frightening on the strip. Nice work, very well done. :dblthumb:

Oh, last Q, definitely not a shot, because I run them my self, but curious on the Z1 ICs? For a build this big, your ICs are now your bottleneck with the larger TBs and IC plumbing. Did you have the ports modified to 2.5"? Has the plenum been machined to 58mm for the Z1 TBs? I wasn't aware of CZP offering that version.

Thanks for your service as well!

vulcanrush

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:That is a serious build. Legit with a capital L!

Any plans to switch to a 95+ CAS? If you're doing 95+ 740s you'll obviously need new connectors. The best way to do this, IMHO, is to get a 1995TT 5-speed harness. This has a different connection for the CAS, Fuel Injectors and Air Conditioning than the 1992 harness. You've already switched the injectors, just need to switch the CAS. The AC connection is just a single wire you can butt splice. The 1995 harness also has switched power to the injectors, to help them last longer. It's also definitely recommended to when you pull the engine just due to the age and corrosion of the original harness.

This build should put down a ton of useable power on the street, and could be downright frightening on the strip. Nice work, very well done. :dblthumb:

Oh, last Q, definitely not a shot, because I run them my self, but curious on the Z1 ICs? For a build this big, your ICs are now your bottleneck with the larger TBs and IC plumbing. Did you have the ports modified to 2.5"? Has the plenum been machined to 58mm for the Z1 TBs? I wasn't aware of CZP offering that version.

yes, thanks for your services.

car-wise, czp does offer that, tony, the 2.5'' intercooler piping's, that is. the specialty-z guys sell that now instead of the tom versions?

BigTDogg (MA)

vulcanrush wrote:
yes, thanks for your services.

car-wise, czp does offer that, tony, the 2.5'' intercooler piping's, that is. the specialty-z guys sell that now instead of the tom versions?
I know they make the IC plumbing, however I was referring to the polished intake manifold he got from CZP. The IM needs to be machined for the 58mm TBs. It's minor, but needs to be done before installation, as the plenum needs to be thoroughly cleaned. No machining will net little to no gains from the 2.5" pipes and TBs because of smaller opening in the OEM plenum. Same can be said about the Z1 ICs, which is why I asked about those as well. AshSPEC MASSives, T0M's Bell ICs, or the modified Stillens from SZ (not sure if they still do those with the MASSives being available) would be a better choice.

vulcanrush

i got my plenum machined also, tony...using the z1 tb's gasket's as a guide...but i have to get them hot-tanked to get any metal bits out (just being paranoid and stupid).

it's going to be quite a challenge to get them (the czp intercooler piping's) installed with an upgraded radiator, etc. i might just sell them and go back to stock intercooler piping's with my modest street turbo's.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

vulcanrush wrote:what intercoolers are you running with that?
I have the Z1 set for now, but may turn to the AshSPECs at a later date. Or get the Z1 ports modified to 2.5"
BigTDogg (MA) wrote:That is a serious build. Legit with a capital L!

Wanted or not, IMHO, no cover on an engine like that would be foolish, no matter how good it looks in that last pic. I would hardly call the REV Imports timing gear trim cover a cover of any kind. You're taking a huge risk leaving everything exposed like that. It's pretty easy to make the stock covers look good, and your paint shop could even match them to your powdercoating work.

Haha thank you! It has been a very interesting process! I have learned more than I could have imagined, just by doing all this work myself. I have looked into switching to the 95+ CAS, but decided that if I ever want to in the future, it's as easy as a correct wiring splice and a new CAS. I am replacing all wiring under the hood due to the age and deterioration of most of the connectors.

As for the timing covers... I have decided to repaint/replace the stock ones and use them. Best idea. For shows or flashy whatever, I will throw that trim piece on briefly. I just think it looks cool regardless of actual functionality haha. Trust me that I do not think it is of any protection.

I will be pretty conservative with tuning and don't plan on unleashing all her potential out of the gate just yet. So, the Z1 ICs should be alright as far as being a bottle neck. I may even have the ports modified to 2.5" like you mentioned. I do see your point though and definitely will remove the restriction when I decide to raise hell! I machined the upper intake plenum myself using the Z1 TB gaskets as a rough guide. Not as precise as a professional machine shop, but it was free and kind of entertaining lol. All metal shavings and debris was removed after as well.
vulcanrush wrote:i got my plenum machined also, tony...using the z1 tb's gasket's as a guide...but i have to get them hot-tanked to get any metal bits out (just being paranoid and stupid).

it's going to be quite a challenge to get them (the czp intercooler piping's) installed with an upgraded radiator, etc. i might just sell them and go back to stock intercooler piping's with my modest street turbo's.
I figured it was going to be a pain in the a$$ to fit the larger piping next to a larger radiator, but I'll figure it out :bigthumb: It obviously can be done... so it will be done!

On a side note... Anyone know where to get a 90 degree silicone elbow reducer from 2.5" to 2.0"? The 2.5 CZP piping kit didn't come with the correct elbow piece to fit onto the driver's side turbo for the Z1 GT675RS turbos.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

The engine is nearly complete!!! It looks better than I imagined :gapteeth:

Did some unique things that y'all can see in the pics below. For the rerouted turbo coolant lines... I just got some 5/16 metal brake line from an auto parts store and used a pipe bender to form the custom lines at the back of the engine. Worked like a charm!

Painted the numbers and timing marks for better visibility:

And now for the shiny stuff!!!

vulcanrush

wow, it's so gorgeous.

bartZ32tt

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:
On a side note... Anyone know where to get a 90 degree silicone elbow reducer from 2.5" to 2.0"? The 2.5 CZP piping kit didn't come with the correct elbow piece to fit onto the driver's side turbo for the Z1 GT675RS turbos.
hosetechniques.com

I'm excited for your build to get done, what's your expected time of firing it up? After seeing your update, it motivated me to get out and work on my engine pull lol.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

bartZ32 wrote:
hosetechniques.com

I'm excited for your build to get done, what's your expected time of firing it up? After seeing your update, it motivated me to get out and work on my engine pull lol.
Haha word thanks! I have no idea why I didn't think of that :rolleyes: I'm stoked for it too... won't be too much longer now, but I now need to focus on cleaning up the engine bay. Can't have that super clean motor in a sh*t box of an engine bay! A month or 2 more if I work hard on it. What are your plans for yours?

bartZ32tt

Just looking to swap my low compression engine out with a new fresh engine and do some little upgrades along the way. Going for cleanliness, fun, and reliability since it'll be my dd. Then when I'm done with school and have more time/money I'll do an all-out built such as yours haha. I've got a half-assed build thread floating around that I'll update with pictures when I get a chance. Hard for me to find free time though, ya know?

BigTDogg (MA)

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:I am replacing all wiring under the hood due to the age and deterioration of most of the connectors.
Precisely my point. The 1995 harness is the easiest way for you do this. It's really a no brainer with the engine out. 1000x better than ordering individual connectors, and definitely better than a new 1992 harness. Used 95+ CAS can be had for about $80. Plus they're easier to polish. Speaking from experience, because it's the exact route I went with my car, after countless hours of research and conversing with other Z experts. I also have 95+ injectors and wanted to replace my EFI harness while the engine was out. IMHO, just doesn't make sense to splice in your old connectors on a new harness, especially if the engine is already out.

Additionally I got new(er) battery and alternator harnesses from a guy who parted out his car after just putting 2k miles on it. If you need a source for used parts feel free to PM me, I have one I can recommend.

Glad you're using stock covers. It does look pretty now, so get tons of pics :biggrin: I know you'd be kicking your self if something went wrong with engine while using the show cover while actually driving.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

bartZ32 wrote:Just looking to swap my low compression engine out with a new fresh engine and do some little upgrades along the way. Going for cleanliness, fun, and reliability since it'll be my dd. Then when I'm done with school and have more time/money I'll do an all-out built such as yours haha. I've got a half-assed build thread floating around that I'll update with pictures when I get a chance. Hard for me to find free time though, ya know?
Oh ya I remember reading your thread. Sounds like you're having some fun! I would recommend doing all preventative maintenance stuff while the engine is out. Don't want to be pulling it over and over because you forgot some simple stuff. I opted to do all silicone lines for added longevity :biggrin:
BigTDogg (MA) wrote:Precisely my point. The 1995 harness is the easiest way for you do this. It's really a no brainer with the engine out. 1000x better than ordering individual connectors, and definitely better than a new 1992 harness. Used 95+ CAS can be had for about $80. Plus they're easier to polish. Speaking from experience, because it's the exact route I went with my car, after countless hours of research and conversing with other Z experts. I also have 95+ injectors and wanted to replace my EFI harness while the engine was out. IMHO, just doesn't make sense to splice in your old connectors on a new harness, especially if the engine is already out.

Additionally I got new(er) battery and alternator harnesses from a guy who parted out his car after just putting 2k miles on it. If you need a source for used parts feel free to PM me, I have one I can recommend.

Glad you're using stock covers. It does look pretty now, so get tons of pics :biggrin: I know you'd be kicking your self if something went wrong with engine while using the show cover while actually driving.
The new 740cc injectors came with new 95+ connectors so it's really just a matter of taking the time and soldering + heat shrinking them onto the new 92 harness that I had already ordered. As for the CAS... I figured I'd save a few bucks and use my original one till it quits on me. At which point, I'll get a new CAS (or upgrade to the 95+ CAS and splice it.) If I didn't already have injector connectors and my CAS was shot... I'd for sure go your way.

I also had a $500 credit at Z1, so I just used that and got the 92 EFI harness as well as a new battery harness and some other random things. Only paid $28 out of pocket for all haha. Thank you for the source though... I may use it eventually. I am just sort of cautious about used parts.

BigTDogg (MA)

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:I also had a $500 credit at Z1, so I just used that and got the 92 EFI harness as well as a new battery harness and some other random things. Only paid $28 out of pocket for all haha. Thank you for the source though... I may use it eventually. I am just sort of cautious about used parts.
Since you already have the 92 harness, you'll definitely want to look at this mod: +12v switched injector power

It will definitely help with the life of your injectors, even if they are still the new style, they are still prone to coil failure with the old constant power.

I bought my EFI harness new, and the batt and alt harnesses were only 2k miles old from new, so basically new. Still had clear dielectric grease on them, lol. The used part I was referring to was the CAS. A used working CAS goes for about $80ish, a new one costs $360!!!

300zx-r
Car: Nissan 300zx-r Twin Turbo 91"

Awesome!

Z_Fanatic
Car: 91 300zx TT Conversion, 01 Bmw 325I DD

That's gonna be a monster when you're done! :dblthumb:

JDMZ32
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX, NA, slicktop, 5-speed, red

Love your build! Motor = beautiful! Love the rear bumper too.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

*UPDATE*

Just waiting on my custom balance tube to be finished and the motor will be completely done! The carbon fiber pieces actually replace the factory pieces, so they do save a bit of weight. Functional and stylish yet sort of subtle.

The addition of stainless steel braided fuel lines:

Powder coated coil pack brackets, water pipes and timing cover bolts:

SPL outer tie rod ends and some Energy Suspension front lower control arm bushings:

Z1 oil cooler:

REV Imports carbon fiber rear seat paneling:

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”