Panoramic roof rattle

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Shanjam
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Hey:

Just developed an annoying rattle in the moonroof of my 2014 SL AWD with 11,000 km but only when completely closed. Vent and open its fine. Noise stops when stopped but rattles and creaks at other speed. Pressing on the actual glass does not stop it. I figure it has something to do with where the glass and frame meet.

Anyone have such a prob? Or advice how to stop the rattle?

Cheers!

daltonvol
Car: 2014 Rogue SL (Premium Pkg)
Traded - 2013 Rogue SV (SL Package)
2011 Maxima S

It's not just you. There are a few posts about it in the "Post your intro" thread. If you do a search on the main Rogue forum page with the keywords "roof rattle" (but not with quotation marks), you will see them.

Unfortunately, though, no one has seemed to post any sort of resolution yet. I noticed mine in late winter/early spring and don't seem to have noticed it in hotter weather, which is consistent with the experience of another poster.

psyman42
Car: 2001 Honda Accord EX (Totaled)
2007 Honda CRV EX (Traded In)
2014 Nissan Rogue SV Premium Package (Sold)
2017 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum Reserve Premium Package

I don't have the rattle but rather a creeking as the car goes over bumps or making a a sharp turn

DTASFAB

psyman42 wrote:I don't have the rattle but rather a creeking as the car goes over bumps or making a a sharp turn
Welcome to the world of Nissan ownership.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I'm just wondering what your dealership's service department said about the rattle. I mean you own a brand new vehicle with a 36-month/36,000-mile warranty, so I'd assume you took it to them to correct the problem.

Leo2005

I have an appointment on Monday with that issue. Will see a reply.

StevieGFTM
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL

Had a rattle problem since the first few days after getting my a Rogue. The rattle would stop if I pressed on the glass. After two visits and adjustments failed to resolve the issue, my dealer replaced the sliding roof panel and thankfully, it has been resolved. The car is brand new and still under warranty, so no charge for the repair. I often like to drive without the radio on so this needed to be resolved.

yi_dennis
Car: 2014 Rogue SL

Its just started on mine. There is also a sound now when I tilt or open the roof. This is very discouraging. I guess back to the dealer.

yi_dennis

Leo2005 wrote:I have an appointment on Monday with that issue. Will see a reply.
Did they fix the rattle?

Harryca
Car: 2014 Rogue SV Awd

I am also experiencing intermittent rattle noise from sun roof. Not sure where is it coming from.
Been to Nissan dealership 2 times but they have not been able to re-produce it.

Here is the audio recording on how it sounds like:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2A82xb ... edit?pli=1

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

If the dealership is unable to fix the roof noise it's most likely due to the dealership not having been issued a TSB (fix) from "Big Nissan" yet. The good news is...if enough owners report the noise to their Nissan dealership, a TSB will eventually be issued.

Leo2005

On monday the temperature dropped and it didn't rattle since then. Tech told me to stop by as soon as it happen again. So far it didn't rattle.

yi_dennis

The dealer lubricated the racks and said its fine, but of course it still makes the sound. Has anyone had any luck getting it fixed?

nav2014
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV - FWD

Wow, this is annoying and worries me.

I will be picking up my SV model on Thursday. They don't drive around with you as part of inspection, otherwise, I would have asked them to check this first.

I am buying the Rogue to replace my trust 16 year old 1998 Honda Accord with a sunroof and that never had such an issue. I guess the panaromic sunroof is to blame. But you would have thought Nissan would be paying attention to what people are talking on this very active North American forum.

lesliemt30
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

I've been experiencing the same rattle issue in my sunroof for months now. Been to the dealership several times. Finally discovered that it is most active in the cooler weather. Have it at the dealership now. The master service tech finally heard the noise as I drove with him first thing in the morning in 50 degree weather and it was loud and clear. They replaced the sunroof track. Went back in to test it and still heard a noise, but, the car was not put completely back to together yet so I was unclear as to the source of this noise and the tech wasn't with me when I drove it because he had left for the day. Now, the dealership is waiting on back-ordered side panels to put the car back together as they had to remove the headliner. Once these are replaced they are going to re-test it in the morning. However, I have been extremely inconvenienced having all of these trips to the dealer with a brand new car and to still not have it fixed. Where is Nissan on this?? I am so discouraged at this point I feel like it will never be fixed. I will reply back once I get it back and the state of the fix. The master service tech did say that once they have it fixed he will write a technical bulletin (assuming they truly fix the problem).
I was so in love with this car when I got it but this experienced has soured me tremendously.

Heather0282
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

I have had my 2015 Rogue SL AWD for 2 weeks now. The 1st week in I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the passenger side... Thought it possibly was the seat belts or maybe even my purse making rattle sound. At this point I still haven't put anything in the car that would be making this noise. After some research someone said to check my moonroof...opened the shade (that had been closed all week) and sure enough the noise is coming from the moonroof. When I got the car the temp was pretty warm now temps have dropped and it's colder. Love this car but the sound is going to drive me crazy!!! I'm planning on calling the dealer tomorrow-so we shall see!

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Please keep us posted Heather.

psyman42
Car: 2001 Honda Accord EX (Totaled)
2007 Honda CRV EX (Traded In)
2014 Nissan Rogue SV Premium Package (Sold)
2017 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum Reserve Premium Package

Brought my car in for oil change and for the "creaking" noise the moon roof made whenever the car is in motion/hits a bump. They said they lubricated the moon roof and hope that fixed it, drove off the lot and still heard it. Will again mention it on the next oil change and to make sure to say that the noise happens while the car is in motion. As I don't think they drove the car to hear the problem.

Does anyone's 2014+ Rogue NOT make these noises at all????

madaman13
Car: 2014 Rogue (hopefully).

I'm wondering for those who have had the same problem, did the dealership resolve it?

I took my 2014 Rogue in for the same reason (the noise was driving me insane) and managed to catch a service advisor who would listen and not just send me away. The dealership had my car for 8 days as they ordered parts to replace the entire sunroof/frame etc, and when I picked it up none of it had been done. The service manager then happily informed me that all it took was some double sided foam tape under a bar and the problem was 'fixed'.

As soon as I got 5km away from the dealership the noise began again, 10x worse. Now their 'fix' makes creaking/rubbing/squeaking noises. I took it back in and they deny everything, and I quote 'the noise levels are acceptable to Nissan' and that I should be happy as some are worse. Calling the customer service line afterwards was even worse, they just read the dealerships workorder word for word after taking a week to find a resolution.

I've never had such terrible service from any company in my life, I've really lost all my confidence in Nissan now and am trying to figure out my options as the sound is unbearable. I'm hoping someone else has found a fix to this problem, as I don't think the dealerships are competent enough to fix this. I am considering selling the car and getting as far away from Nissan as possible but the money I'll lose is going to sting a bit. Has anyone had any luck getting ahold of the execs at corporate to get the ball rolling on problems like this? I've run out of options at this point. I have many videos w/ sound of the problem happening, I plan on putting them up on youtube so that others can be warned to stay far away from this car, I have it in writing that the sounds made are 'officially' approved by Nissan as acceptable so I think it's only fair that others can see what they will be buying.

Sorry for the long post but this has been the biggest pain in my life the last 6 months!

hawki
Car: 2015 Rogue SL Premium
Red / Almond

madaman13, thanks for your detailed post on the issue, and sorry to hear your troubles .

When you have a video - please do provide the link of your rattling panoramic roof video here too.
Also (if it is okay with you) provide the name of the Nissan dealer (that buyers should avoid), and you may write a dealer review at http://www.dealerrater.com/reviews/ too.

As I read the whole thread some/few 2014+ Rogue owners seems to have the roof rattle issue fixed - after replacing the track and/or the frame.
So the Nissan dealer you went should have done the proper fix, than BS-ing that it is acceptable sound (no rattling sound should be acceptable in a new car).

We still don't own a Rouge, but 2015 Rogue is at the top of our preferred CUV list - because of the available Panoramic Moon Roof (but would prefer no moon roof than a rattling one).

After reading all the complains about the roof rattle - it is very discouraging.

AnthemGems
Car: 2014 Nissan Rouge SL Gun Metal Charcoal Interior

I had the same issue, dealer adjusted the frame, problem solved

DaFreak
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Just returned from the dealership with regards to Roof rattle. Originally they thought it was loose side clips ( which they ordered). However the tech says it is loose rivets on the frame. They are ordering a new frame. Unfortunately, it's a three day job. They are providing a loaner for those days. Going back next week. Will post the outcome. Thank god for warranty.

DaFreak
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Rattle gone. Dealer replaced the frame, however it took 2 1/2 days. They provided a loaner at no cost. Thank god for warranty.

Maximus099

Went to the dealer yesterday and was also told that they need to change the frame. They said its a 4hr job and will be lending me a car for free of course.

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

DTASFAB wrote:
psyman42 wrote:I don't have the rattle but rather a creeking as the car goes over bumps or making a a sharp turn
Welcome to the world of Nissan ownership.
These kinds of comments I don't understand. Not calling you out specifically because I've seen people say these things over the years.

I personally, have really never had much of a problem ever with a Nissan. My '93 Kingcab 4X4 pickup had clutch issues, but I had a lot of off road miles on that truck. Other than that, nothing really. My '09 Rogue had one recall for the CVT and all it was was a computer reprogram.

My '12 Rogue was perfect, never an issue.

Maximus099

Got back from the dealer yesterday and they changed the moon roof frame in 4hrs and the "creeking" sound seems to be gone. I'll keep you guys posted if ever it comes back. Rogueguy you've been lucky i guess. This is my first Nissan bought brand new last september and have brought it back on average once a month for different things such as: 1- "leather" around passenger door console coming apart. 2- Back seat very loose and shakes a lot even on smooth surfaces, they had to remove it competely and reajust the supports. 3- squeeky front suspension, waiting for parts they ordered. 4- moon roof as mentionned above. Just this morning having the rogue spend the night outside in -25c I can open the doors correctly but none of them want to close they remain ajar. I had to play around with the "clamps" in the doors with my fingers to warm them up to be able to close completely. All this on a 2014 sv awd which I paid almost $34k. My $21k 2009 honda civic has cost me less trips to the dealer in the last 6 years. So once again either you're lucky or I'm really unlucky.

RogueGuy45

Maximus099 wrote:Got back from the dealer yesterday and they changed the moon roof frame in 4hrs and the "creeking" sound seems to be gone. I'll keep you guys posted if ever it comes back. Rogueguy you've been lucky i guess. This is my first Nissan bought brand new last september and have brought it back on average once a month for different things such as: 1- "leather" around passenger door console coming apart. 2- Back seat very loose and shakes a lot even on smooth surfaces, they had to remove it competely and reajust the supports. 3- squeeky front suspension, waiting for parts they ordered. 4- moon roof as mentionned above. Just this morning having the rogue spend the night outside in -25c I can open the doors correctly but none of them want to close they remain ajar. I had to play around with the "clamps" in the doors with my fingers to warm them up to be able to close completely. All this on a 2014 sv awd which I paid almost $34k. My $21k 2009 honda civic has cost me less trips to the dealer in the last 6 years. So once again either you're lucky or I'm really unlucky.
I'm so sorry for all your problems, how disappointing! I have a really, really hard time believing I will have any problems with my brand new Rogue (less than 50 miles on it presently) . Not doubting your story, I just think you are having really bad luck.

This based on 22 years of Nissan ownership and many different types of vehicles.

Maximus099

I sincerely hope you don't. It's sad when the first thing you think to yourself when getting into your new vehicule is " whats going to fail today".

RogueGuy45

Maximus099 wrote:I sincerely hope you don't. It's sad when the first thing you think to yourself when getting into your new vehicule is " whats going to fail today".
Following up 3 months later....

I have about 2400 miles on my '15 Rogue AWD SL. Not one issue yet. This car is such an upgrade from the '12 SV it's unbelievable how much nicer it is. Much quieter and the gas mileage is great.

Wife and I drove up to Bemidji on Wed this week and got 36.1 mpg on the way up there. It's been since my '92 Grand Am that I had a car pull that kind of mileage.

Looks like another winner of a Nissan for me. :dblthumb:

Heather0282
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Heather0282 wrote:I have had my 2015 Rogue SL AWD for 2 weeks now. The 1st week in I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the passenger side... Thought it possibly was the seat belts or maybe even my purse making rattle sound. At this point I still haven't put anything in the car that would be making this noise. After some research someone said to check my moonroof...opened the shade (that had been closed all week) and sure enough the noise is coming from the moonroof. When I got the car the temp was pretty warm now temps have dropped and it's colder. Love this car but the sound is going to drive me crazy!!! I'm planning on calling the dealer tomorrow-so we shall see!

Following up with my issue of the moonroof rattle.... had my 2015 Nissan Rogue in for repair in early April. The dealership replaced the front sliding glass panel. It's been a little over 2 months and I haven't heard the noise since. Didn't think this would resolve the issue after reading the experiences of other Rogue owners... but it surprisingly has! Took 6 months of me having the car but i'm finally getting to enjoy it with no issues. Hopefully this noise will not come back!!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”