painting/sanding rubber trim btw fender and body

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
QX22s

So i have a 99.5 infiniti QX4 Silver (KR4)

Between the fenders and the body there is a thin rubber trim piece that was origionaly painted to match the car. The sun took its toll on it and made it fade to a brown color. The link below contains a picture posted by someone who has the same problem:zer...-trim

Question: i have purchased a bottle of touch up paint mixed for my car..matches well. Keep in mind it is a metallic paint which isn't making anything easier. I gave it a try on one of the trims that was the worse off. It didn't go as well as i had liked, but looks better than it did.

Problem is that that particular trim had been beaten by the sun enough to give it a bumpy/hammered/alligator skin texture (same as in link above) that seemed to be excentuated by the new silver touch up. Is there a way to sand it down smooth again? possibly using a fine grit sandpaper. I figured if i could pull that off i could go over it and maybe it would look better. Fortunately the other trims..while faded are still smooth.

anyone have any advice based on what i am trying to do? i figured i would give it another go this weekend if i have time. Another issue i encountered when doing it is the paint is kind of thick and you could see the brush strokes..if i could thin the paint out i feel i may be able to get a more even layer.

Return to “Detailing Forum”