Painting For Beginners

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
S13CoupeLover
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

I need a little intro into painting a car.basically:- what steps do i need to do before and after painting- what type of air gun do i need, and what types are good for what?? what sizes, etc etc.- what paint- what are sealants??- what are steps? and what is the best one?

Just a Basic rundown of how to paint, what gun would be the best for what, what kind of paint, etc etc.

I'm wanting to paint my car soon. maybe same color or close to it, red/maroon. this is for me to learn but i at least want it to look nice afterward and not like a rattle can job.

i have a air compressor i dunno how much it holds or whatever you look for in a compressor, but it's like 4.5 feet tall roll around tank.

Thank you!

silpena
Car: Nis1993 san 240sx super hicas(wrecked)
soon to come to s-chasis

steps before differ from ppl.here are some basics-wet sand the car with 320-400-600 grit untill u break the clear coat and remove all shine. Once u see primer stop-do not touch the car with ur hands. It will leave oil on the surface which will ruin aheasion and cuae u issues-properly use a wax and greese remover before painting-blow off the car well and wash the car well too with a clean bucket/water/ sponge/ and dish soap or detergant-buy a tack cloth to remove all lint and dust before painting-paint in a clean area. mask off the ground and walls and seal them off with only a fan reversed to the wall and sealed to exhuast all the fumes out and reduce over spray-do no touch ur paint untill after 24 hrs of painting(less if hotter and less humid) look at paint msd'sdepending on ur gun u will need:1.2-1.4 tip for bc/cc(base coat/clear coat1.5.1.6- for single stage paint or light primers1.8-2.2.- primer surfacers or primer fillers-get a gun with the widest fan possible and if u can one that sprays at a slow rate so u dont run the paint ur first time-peel all of the tape away at a 45 degree angle to reduce pulling and lifting the paint-again do not the paint evn after its dry- ur hand can leave scratches

-sealents are mainly used as barriars or non barriar sealers-barriar sealer-seal off any work, substrates under that could affect the top coat(new paint)non barriar sealers- seal off work and provide a uniform color to prevent bleed through and staining.

its hard to point out all the best steps. Everyone has their own way but most ppl who do show quality say teh same thing. Just back yard guys like to argue or production shops will cut corners but not becuase they want to, becuase they have to.

how big is the compress in gallons?h.p?pump?how many feet of hosehow much scfm/40/90 psi of output.

If ur looking for some guns i have a couple for sale. Good guns and great for beginers. Hope that helps.
Modified by silpena at 2:42 AM 11/15/2008

kHong
Car: 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2003 Toyota Corolla, 2006 Nissan Altima

thanks needed that too.

S13CoupeLover
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

very detailed, thank you!!

i'll get the details for the compressor.

also i'm doing this right now just getting some info i could use for later on, when i really want to paint my car.

Return to “Detailing Forum”