Paint Protection Film

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

What does everyone think about Paint Protection Film (3M, clear Bra)? Your dealer might have even tried to sell it to you at the time of purcase. It is just a clear film usually placed on the front bumper and front part of the hood, and protects against bugs, and rock chips. If a rock hits it, it'll get a little nick but it will prevent the paint from being nicked. The film usually lasts about 5 years, and you can just peal it off anytime with no glue residue or paint fading, and the paint underneath should look like brand new.

The limiting factor is installation, it usually costs a couple hundred bucks with install, but if you can install it yourself it's practically free. On ebay right now, they've got the full bumper and hood kit for like 25 bucks, and it's the high quality 3M stuff. Just search "Rogue Paint Protection". To install it, you do it just like window tint. This is also the same stuff that some of us on our lower door sills. The only downside that I can think of is if you install it on the front part of your hood, you can see the line where the film ends.

Anyone have any thoughts, I'm thinking about ordering it and giving it a try. For that price you can't lose.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I've never seen the long term results of this product. I'd be really interested to know.

I'm sure it will help avoid bugs/rocks, etc...

Here's my question.. If the film protects the paint from fading or UV damage, what happens when the rest of the car fades a bit over time? Are you stuck with a two-tone paint? Does the front end look glossy while the rest looks a little dull?

blueis300
Car: 2007 nissan maxima 3.5 se

I had the 3m on my 350z years ago. It last awhile and I think did a great job of protecting. Just dont have the extra cash at the moment to do it again.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

If you can do it yourself, all you need is 20 bucks - the product is really cheap, it's just the labour where they rip you off, and if you get it done through the dealership it is overpriced by like 500% like all those rip off add-ons (undercoating, paint protection). If you do it on a part that is not very complex, like the hood, it is very dooable for the average DIY. You spray water and soap solution on the paint, then peel and stick the film on, but you can move it around and get it positioned just perfectly because of the soapy water, then you just squeegy out the solution and the film is stuck. And if you decide you don't like it later on, just take it off! Not sure about the long term effect of of fading as was mentioned above, it could be something to consider - the film might protect the paint too well so that it won't match the rest of the car when you eventually remove it.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

Initially (when I bought the car), I thought this stuff was superfluous. But after getting some decent sized chips a week into owning the new car, I wish I had gotten it. Its not that I'm worried about rust, I take care and finish over them, but its a mental thing. Paint chips in the new car, it sucks.

I think now since I don't have the film, what I'll probably do is just let nicks, chips and scratches accumulate, then have the whole car repainted in a few years. That way I can feel like I'm driving a new car again.

Now just have to keep the interior clean....

Return to “Rogue Forum”